It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Student Punished for Refusing to Salute and Recite Mexican Pledge

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I see exactly where the girl is coming from. Even if it is just an assignment. So, you can recite another countries pledge in our classrooms, get a pat on the back, and an "A", but get into trouble by reciting our own American pledge. I would be pissed to if i was her. I'm not her, and I'm still pissed about this. If it were me I would stand up every day place my own flag out, and recite the American pledge loudly, until they either accepted it or threw me out. "[SNIP] THE MAN"

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

where was ur whining when people had to learn the canadian national anthem or oh tannenbaum both of which i sang in grammar school without throwing a hissy fit? so its not ok to learn the national anthem of mexico but its ok to learn the canadian anthem? give me a break sounds like that kid had some indoctrinating of her own. its ok for her father to marry a mexican immigrant, for their daughter to speak spanish but god forbid they learn the mexican anthem?

you guys do realize mccallen is majority hispanic and throwing distance to the mexican border. i bet the mexicans on the other side know the american national anthem. they share the same tv and radio stations for pete's sake!!!
edit on 28-2-2013 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by littled16

I wonder why they didn't hire some Americans who have degrees to teach Spanish or who were bilingual teachers? They went out of country? Yikes!

That is exactly what I thought, so I asked one of the local school board members "off the record" about it. She said it was all the idea of the at the time new Superintendent of the school district to save money because they could get away with paying less, and that he took out a group of the male school board members for drinks a few times and talked them into supporting the idea. She (the only woman on the board at the time) and one other male member are the only ones who voted against it, while the "drinking buddies" all voted for it. By the way, his "drinking buddies" voted for him a big raise later the same year for saving the district lots of money. Thank goodness the people voted out most of the school board members at the next election and THAT superintendent was replaced with the former HS principal. My friend is now one of three women on the school board, which is something for this town- and no more foreign teachers!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I took German in school, we learned all about Germany, the culture, songs, history. Never were we forced to pledge allegiance to Germany...

This is outrageous as it is, imagine the outrage if they were forced to pledge allegiance to Germany, Russia, or China?

Its either OK for ALL foreign nations or none, you don't get to pick and choose for the students.

DC

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

what years were u in high school? perhaps they didnt force u to recite the german national anthem, i dont know...maybe because they were our mortal enemies in ww2 and the iron curtain didn't fall til the 80s!!!!!!! goodness gracious now that would be a reason to have your panties in a bunch!!! lol imagine the uproar!!! do they even offer german in schools anymore?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I always find it funny when people force you to recite the pledge of allegiance.

The same freedom you have to pledge of allegiance is the same freedom you have not to.

That's why it's called FREEDOM.

God damn people are stupid. Everything is upside down. People think Tyranny is freedom.

Oh wait what was that? Ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery, and war is peace? Gee, does that ring a bell anyone?!?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
No pledge should be said at schools, including the American one

All statist propaganda brainwashing techniques

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
reply to post by xDeadcowx

what years were u in high school? perhaps they didnt force u to recite the german national anthem, i dont know...maybe because they were our mortal enemies in ww2 and the iron curtain didn't fall til the 80s!!!!!!! goodness gracious now that would be a reason to have your panties in a bunch!!! lol imagine the uproar!!! do they even offer german in schools anymore?

I recently graduated from high school and took four years of German. So yes, they do teach German in high schools, and I never had to recite the German National Anthem. Actually, I'm not sure they even have one. And I know for a fact that none of the students in Spanish or French classes received bad grades for failing to recite a pledge of allegiance or for refusing to sing the Les Marseillaise or the Mexican National Anthem. This just smacks of PC b******t. If she didn't want to sing the Mexican National Anthem, than her teacher should have just let her sing the US national anthem in Spanish instead.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
How many English classes on foreign soil make the students recite The Pledge of Allegiance?

Mexico perhaps? I doubt anyone there objects to it. In Europe English class is English class not American English Class.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
I took German in school, we learned all about Germany, the culture, songs, history. Never were we forced to pledge allegiance to Germany...

Germany doesn't have a Pledge of allegiance unless you count the Hitler oath but I doubt they say that one anymore.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
There is a huge difference between reciting a Nations Anthem and reciting a Pledge of Allegiance.

A Pledge of Allegiance is just that, A Pledge where you agree to give of yourself to a Nation.

The Teacher should be fired for not understanding what a Pledge is!

P

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
When I took Spanish in high school.................................we studied SPAIN, not Mexico.

Thank you! This is what I was thinking through this whole thread. Spain is also what we studied when I was in high school. Why is the emphasis on only Mexico? There are many countries where Spanish is the main language.

I can see singing the National Anthem but reciting the pledge of allegiance to another country does not sit well in my head. I would not be happy if my child were forced to do this.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This sounds like tactics from part of the movement among Hispanics among border states to retake those states for mexico by attrition and illegal immigration. A stealth way to indoctrinate youth. Yeah sue their butts off!

It seems America is being attacked from all sides and from within and most Americans don't even know there is a war on yet...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Mc Allen, TX might as well be Mexico.

Just sayin'

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
No pledge should be said at schools, including the American one

All statist propaganda brainwashing techniques

Hell with that, love your country or get out...no need to love another one...well unless that is where you plan on living...

Do we force political agendas on students in English classes? Write and speak a proper sentence...then pass the course...how hard is that to do for once?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
foxnews, author endorsed by sarah palin, sean hannity and mark levin?
well after reading the link i do find it disturbing that the school decided to punish her even though they allow kids to opt out of saying the american pledge of allegiance if they conscientiously choose to. that being said, they did honor her conscientious objection to reciting the mexican pledge of allegiance by offering her an alternative assignment on the independence of mexico. i would like to see what she wrote in the alternative assignment she was given to receive an F. i feel there is more to this story than is being told to us by FOX NEWS.

as for some others opinions,
what makes you think there is some sort of political agenda? mcallen texas is majority hispanic, its a stones throw from mexico, hence the emphasis in mexican culture in that particular spanish class. i was born and grew up in chicago, nowhere near germany or canada and we sang the canadian anthem and oh tannenbaum and that was in grammar school, had nothing to do w a german or french class, u didn't see my parents threatening to sue the school!!! i took spanish in high school and we learned about various hispanic countries cultures including spain and yes mexico. some of you guys and the girls parents are taking this way too far. some of you are making it seem like the teachers were from LA RAZA and trying to indoctrinate the children, for crying out loud!!!
edit on 1-3-2013 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

did you NOT read my post? Or NOT understand it.

I said I was against mandatory pledges. That this sort of thing can not be forced.

You´re just using my post to spout caca.

I am sorry, but your argument is mute.

ALSO
You are missing the point entirely and purposefully so: that no one should be FORCED to pledge their allegiance to a COUNTRY, especially a foreign one. WHY was the half Mexican girl expected to comply? That assumption that she should somehow be MORE inclined to do so is racist, and unacceptable.

edit on 1-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
reply to post by conspiracy nut

did you NOT read my post? Or NOT understand it.

I said I was against mandatory pledges. That this sort of thing can not be forced.

You´re just using my post to spout caca.

I am sorry, but you´re point is mute.

ALSO
You are missing the point entirely and purposefully so that no one should be FORCED to pledge their allegiance to a COUNTRY. WHY was the half Mexican girl expected to comply? That assumption that she should somehow be MORE inclined to do so is racist, and unacceptable.

edit on 1-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

well to be fair it seems u have edited your post to the point where i dont even know why i replied to you like that. did u read my post above, after reading the link i feel there is more to the story than is being told, i pointed out that the school offered her an alternative assignment and i would like to see what she did to deserve an F on it. it seems she was a conscientious objector and they did acknowledge that. i do not think the teachers were trying to get her to switch her allegiance to mexico, it was an assignment for a spanish class, a spanish class that happens to be 15-20 miles from mexico. i think you and the parents of that girl are taking this way too far. if it turns out the teacher was a full blown member of la raza indoctrinating her students to take mcallen back in the name of mexico well then i'll be a monkeys uncle.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I remember having to sing O' Canada in grade school.

French bastards.

"God keep our land" must piss alot of people off, especially the french

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

there is a huge difference from reciting a pledge of allegiance for a spanish class and actually literally pledging your allegiance to another country. if that's what the teachers were shooting for than i'm right there with you guys on objecting to that assignment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join