It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental illnesses share common DNA roots, study finds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I also have been skeptical about depression until...i developed one. Depression isnt a disease that pop up alone without any cause, or other mental illness. Its mostly related to other mental illnesses like anxiety disorders[social phobias very often cause depression], OCDs, sexual dysfunctions[paraphilias and other], which can lower your self esteem thus throwing you into depression. Ofcourse any big enough stressor will defeat your coping mechanism, and you can develop a depression[mostly a short episode of few months at most]. We can see this everyday, people who has to pay enormous mortgage while being broken, lost relatives etc..
Having a major depression all the time[few years and more] is almost always related to another mental illness that isnt curable by CBT/psychotherapy[like an imprinted bad trait, that you cant change and its always with you everyday]. Without taking pills all the time to supress the illness,such person will have depression.
If you cant change yourself[like people with paraphilias], just go on CBT and dont fight with yourself all the time. Thinking about "how i am different" and "i'm worse than anyone, becuse of illness" all the time, will throw you into depression.

Relating to OP, im glad that psychiatry is finding a new biological grounds of illnesses.Biopsychiatry is the only way to fully cure mental illnesses, just like we do with physical illnesses. Right now, if something is wrong with your heart, you get a bypasses, chirurgy, or transplantation, and afterward you are cured.Just a routine standard procedure. I hope in the near future, biopsychiatry will be like that.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join