Mental illnesses share common DNA roots, study finds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

The biggest study yet into genetics and mental health has come up with a stunning result: The five most common mental illnesses -- autism, attention deficit disorder, bipolar disease, schizophrenia and major depression -- all have a common genetic root.

Modern medicine continues to amaze me I guess it`s just a matter of time years or decades until they find a way to treat/cure these conditions.
The discovery and study of genetics and DNA has advanced medicine by leaps and bounds in a relatively short amount of time.

vitals.nbcnews.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

They linked a considerable number to four places in the genome: a big stretch of chromosome 3; another part of chromosome 10, and two very specific genetic areas known to be involved in controlling cell function called calcium channels.

Personally, I have always been skeptical of the legitimacy of ADD and depression. But Autism is a quantifiable thing that can be plainly seen. So I suppose I will have to re-think my conclusions.

With that being said;
I would be interested in seeing another study that showed what substances (i.e. chemicals, ingredients) caused variations in these same parts of the chromosomes.

I think we would not be surprised to see some familiar culprits get skylined.

Interesting find, thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Damnit i wish they explained the experiment ,that article isnt really much .

Not even a pic of a dude in a white coat or anything lol

Smoller’s international team included dozens of researchers who looked at the genetics of more than 33,000 psychiatric patients and compared them to nearly 28,000 people without mental illness.

Does that sound a bit stupid? Why not have exact same numbers of people NOT suffering a mental illness (or the myths "add/adhd ) in the experiment as there is people who ARE affected ?

Im no scientist but wouldn't that be a better way to do it ?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

It wouldn't make a difference. The large number of both types of variable are present to provide a strong average result which eliminates anomalies.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is an important study, and other medical teams as well as the original team should do many types of follow up studies. And if mental illness does have a DNA connection, does it affect all members of the family or turn on "brighter" in some. Will office holders and candidates for office now have to provide a "clean" DNA report? And are there degrees of mental changes, do some people have part-bipolar, which brings them into a creative mode rather than full-blown imagination episodes? Lots of follow-up studies to do on this. Thanks for the thread.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

It wouldn't make a difference. The large number of both types of variable are present to provide a strong average result which eliminates anomalies.

Oh ok, i just thought it would be more accurate and scientific if they used equal numbers..

So if the math was done different, using equal numbers for both parties, wouldn't the results be significantly different?
Thanks for replying mate.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Not really, the huge samples are used to reduce anomalies and give a "perfect" picture of what the human genome should be - for example the 120/80 "perfect" blood pressure is an average of what it is in healthy people.

In reality, nobody has exactly 120/80 all the time.

The reason they use tens of thousands in genome studies is because of the huge variability in the genome.

Say I wanted an average of a set random of numbers between 1 and 10, the answer should come out to 5, right?

If we take 3 numbers, 7, 7 and 8, the average is something like 7.3.
If we take 10 numbers, 7, 7, 8, 4, 9, 2, 4, 6, 5, 8, the average is 6.

The more numbers we use, the closer to the true average we are likely to be. After a while, the average will always be 5 to within several significant figures, using more numbers will not change anything.

Or like flipping a coin, you would expect half of the results to be heads and half tails. The more flips we do, the more likely we are to reach 50/50, but after several thousand flips, each flip would have a negligible effect on the percentage.

If I used 10,000 random numbers and did 1,000,000 flips, I would be just as close to the average result in both cases, to a certain number of significant figures. As long as you're as close to the average as necessary, it doesn't matter how many sets you used in each variable.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
This is an important study, and other medical teams as well as the original team should do many types of follow up studies. And if mental illness does have a DNA connection, does it affect all members of the family or turn on "brighter" in some. Will office holders and candidates for office now have to provide a "clean" DNA report? And are there degrees of mental changes, do some people have part-bipolar, which brings them into a creative mode rather than full-blown imagination episodes? Lots of follow-up studies to do on this. Thanks for the thread.

I agree this is a huge springboard to delve deeper into the causes and cures for mental illness.It looks like DNA is the go to place when exploring illnesses and diseases, When we gain a better understanding of how DNA works and how to manipulate it we will be able cure a lot of serious diseases and illnesses.
Once we perfect our knowledge of DNA we will be able prevent a lot of illnesses from even starting. Living to be 200-300 years old may be a very real possibility in the near future.
edit on 28-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)
edit on 28-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I always thought my brother was crazy as hell.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

A common misconception about genetic diseases is that they are always inherited. Although often the case, genetic damage in-utero via external influences are very common - question is, what are those influences? Interesting but shallow article - let's hope for some genetic therapies - but the cause of the error needs to be made public or we can easily be SCAMMED by MASSIVE-PHARMA...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrivateSi

A common misconception about genetic diseases is that they are always inherited. Although often the case, genetic damage in-utero via external influences are very common - question is, what are those influences? Interesting but shallow article - let's hope for some genetic therapies - but the cause of the error needs to be made public or we can easily be SCAMMED by MASSIVE-PHARMA...

Or scammed by those who are already signalling an upcoming genetic modification to mankind as a "solution" to the worlds ills. What do they need to convince people that it would be viable? "Proof" that 'undesirable behaviours, traits, beliefs and mental illness' are tied to genetic. To this end, numerous articles have been released "theorising" everything from how you vote to whether or not you believe in Our Creator is tied to the DNA. The world is being indoctrinated to accept this, one small "study" at a time. No amount of genetic change will ever fix an underlying rebellious spirit of man.

Create the problem (mental illness, autism, suicide bombers)
Manage the reaction (those religious fanatics! Mentally ill killed 12 etc)
Offer the solution (genetic fix)

Men are wicked. And to prove where this is going, one just needs to read the occultic President of Iran 's last UN speech....his Imam Mahdi will come with Jesus to revert the children of Adam back to their original state to bring peace and bliss to the world via the opening of the gates of science and knowledge....paraphrased, but accurate representation. So, what do the occult need to lay in place so that people will sign up for this "reversion"? Supposed proof and links between genetics and undesirable traits etc., a fearful and battered world and one which will eagerly accept any suggested fix including this one. Men will contemplate anything before simply submitting to their Creator, anything including allowing so called doctors to genetically modify them. It's eugenics disguised as medicine.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Here is a more in depth summary of the article. If you register you can get access to the full article.

Identification of risk loci with shared effects on five major psychiatric disorders: a genome-wide analysis

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

If you believe this BS headline, do I have a bridge for you! ....fyi - The incidence of psychiatric diseases jumped phenomenally in the past couple of decades. No way is it "genetic." It's epigenetic and has more to do with environmental impacts on gene function than inherited DNA. Claiming that mental health problems are genetic just paves the way for euthanasia and eugenics policies - on economic grounds (protecting the gene pool my Aunt Fanny's butt).

According to the Centers for Disease Control, 25 percent of adults in the U.S. suffer from mental illness. Anxiety and depression top the list, but we are also witnessing increasing numbers of people suffering with bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, eating disorders, and personality disorders.

And it's not only adults. It starts in childhood. Among children and adolescents ages 9 to 17, 21 percent have mental or addictive disorders. In 2008, nearly 7 percent of children in the U.S. were taking psychotropic medications. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among 15- to 24-year-olds in the U.S. (Homicides are second, after accidents.)

From 1988-1994 through 2005-2008, the rate of antidepressant use in the U.S. among all ages increased nearly 400 percent.

……Let's face it. We live in a toxic chemical soup that is messing with our minds and other vital organs.

Chronic disease to cost $47 trillion by 2030: WEF

The global economic impact of the five leading chronic diseases -- cancer, diabetes, mental illness, heart disease, and respiratory disease -- could reach $47 trillion over the next 20 years, according to a study by the World Economic Forum (WEF). ….

"This is not a health issue, this is an economic issue ….." ……

….Mental health, which is typically left off lists of leading NCDs, will account for $16 trillion -- a third of the overall $47 trillion anticipated costs.

Also see: Sick People, Not Corporate Greed, Causing Financial Crisis?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PrivateSi

I agree this isnt exciting at all. This is a lie. Mental illness is a state of a wounded soul. It has nothing to do with genetics as such, it has to do with underlying issues. So all this DNA mental illness will cause further stigma.

Dunno why people get so excited about DNA studies.

All you monkey slaves... getting excited about genetic modification.
edit on 1-3-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
These diseases don't have to manifest. We all have enzymes that we cannot create or Amino acids that they consider nonessential that become essential. Some of us cannot properly take apart tyrosine so we have to consume the broken down products, the glutamates they call Tyromines. The proper dosage of these is important as is the timing of eating certain foods that settle stray voltage in the brain. There are also natural mao inhibitors of the type A and B which help us to regulate things. Turmeric inhibits breakdown of MAO A and Black pepper inhibits breakdown of MAO B. Copper is necessary for creation of MAO. MAO breaks down Seratonin, Dopamine, Adrenaline, and Neoadrenaline. Adrenalines are basicly the same as epinephrine but of a different science language. Too much copper and you have asthma symptoms. Not enough natural MAO inhibitors of the right kind in your body and you have asthma symptoms. If all your molybdenum is being used up processing Lactose, acetylaldehyde from sugar, or sulfites, than you can't get oxygen onto your blood properly. Low magnesium means sugars can't be broken down right leading to higher acetylaldehyde. Disulfide bonds help deliver the oxygen so too little sulfur in the body can make blood not work right also. I can go on and on with this....

The problem is that people with these problems with their genes, inherited from their ancestors, can't eat the same things others can and have to eat things others can't sometimes. A person with a scared liver has problems with foods and additives that suppress liver function, thus causing the liver to stop detoxing properly. They then slowly get sicker and sicker. The body will canabalize muscle to make these brain chemicals also if reserves of octapamine get low, this canibalization creates Lactic acid as a byproduct. This makes you sore. It also can give you a headache because it utilizes molybdenum to process lactic acid so the sulfites can't turn back to sulfates. Sulfites in the body are also used to fight fungus and some bacteria, they should be returned to sulfates when done though. The fact that a lot of enzymes and blood chemistry critical to breathing have ties to Molybdenum is important. Selenium can also play a part in oxygen as can proper copper levels. Don't start taking high doses of Molybdenum or you can screw things up too. Eat cream of wheat or cocoa wheats once a week or maybe sunflower seeds once in a while. There are ways to get this into the diet naturally, like I said everyone has unique chemistry.

There are a lot of variables to this. I have been experimenting for about five years and doing a lot of studying on these things. Cellular energy is created in the Mitochondria, our first line of defense is the Macrophages. Foods and additives that compromise this are not good but sometimes they are necessary. Since everyone is different medicine is more often a problem than a cure. Side effects of medicines can take a year to show up as these medicines target certain enzyme productions causing deficiencies later on and requiring a change in eating habits to survive. The only way to correct this is to study how food makes you think and feel. Chances are if you feel too good, you are being doped up and your perception is altered. Sometimes the thing that makes you better can create another problem. I ran into that more than a few times.

If I would quit experimenting on myself, I could probably get a lot better but now my curiosity makes me do things that create different problems. I am learning how to fix all sorts of problems this way, this is something a text book cannot teach you. It makes life interesting.

I understand why doctors can't study this, it is very time consuming and it is so genetically dependant. It is easier for them to give a pill to treat the symptoms and sometimes is does work. If I give you a piece of salt fish and say it will make your head ache go away, it often will......The first thing you do after eating the saltfish is to go get a big glass of water and drink it to wash down the salt. The water fixes the headache.

Like I said, these diseases do not always have to manifest, they can stay inactive. Just because you have the gene doesn't mean you have to worry about it if you eat right. There are also some people who have to take meds, some people cannot make proper chemistry no matter what their diet. I cannot tell who is who with relation to this so I cannot challenge the doctors actions. Some people definitely need meds, some just need to eat like their sane ancestors did. When perception is altered it is hard to see that your perception is wrong. Most people don't realize that they have an imbalance of brain chemicals and body chemistry.

One size does not fit all. There is no Panacea

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Thats true their are variables. Its a complex subject. But I think bottom line is they want to create this way of " reading" everyones DNA when they are born. So they can fiddle about with them. You see thats what will happen...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

It will be more like a mad scientist experimenting on people at first. Then after three generations they will have it all figured out for the two people that are left on earth.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

lol ... Well my point is I feel mental illness is a condition that does need more theraputic treatments, the problem is that most psychologists are under qualified. They are from more " privilaged" backgrounds, with degrees and thats about it. They dont have life experience,outside of their box. So to come into this world of madness and deep feeling/illusion is a huge job for them that often they cant address unless they are " talented" in some way or the patient has a natural reaction to them.

Otherwise its pills. But still dont like the idea of genetic fiddling, as I think it would lead to forced genetic fiddling lol

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered

lol ... Well my point is I feel mental illness is a condition that does need more theraputic treatments, the problem is that most psychologists are under qualified. They are from more " privilaged" backgrounds, with degrees and thats about it. They dont have life experience,outside of their box. So to come into this world of madness and deep feeling/illusion is a huge job for them that often they cant address unless they are " talented" in some way or the patient has a natural reaction to them.

Otherwise its pills. But still dont like the idea of genetic fiddling, as I think it would lead to forced genetic fiddling lol

Most Psychologists are taught which pills to give to patients to try to fix things. The person getting the pill then subconsciously tries to neutralize the effects of the pill by eating different foods and spices. This is very complicated because our cravings will make us do things when we are given meds to stop toxic effects of the meds. The subconscious does not recognize chemicals sometimes or even worse it does recognize them. By taking asparagaines in a pill, the body adjusts the metabolism and creates enzymes and digestion chemistry to take apart asparagus, cabbage, or potatoes. All of these are high in asparagaines, any starch that that tastes good when browned creates acrylamide out of the asparagaines. This unneeded chemistry has to be neutralized and it takes a lot of power by the liver and kidneys to do this. On top of that the meds contain aspartame, a different spun molecule, that actually damages the mitochondria in the body which results in loss of energy especially in the liver and kidneys. Here is an article on medicine induced mitochondrial damage. psychrights.org... It is important to also note that overconsumption of some foods and herbs can also cause this. Real foods aren't bad if eaten in moderation as far as the mitochondria are concerned but they can alter liver function to get the job done. They keep adding chemistry to our diet to slow energy production though which reduces liver and kidney function. I think they do this to calm society but they do it too much.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I have experienced severe clinical depression, and it is most certainly a real phenomenon. Eight months of hell, then one day, a 'spontaneous recovery' after a night of incredible dreams, visions & OOBEs - I consider my recovery miraculous, as did my family & friends. I was close to being catatonic for eight moths, and then suddenly I was okay again. It was a measurable chemical imbalance in the regulation of certain hormones (etc) in my brain, and there were (imho) 'spiritual factors' involved too.

Depression is real - if you have never experienced it, it is impossible to fully understand it. Before I went through what I went through, I didn't understand it. Now, I do, and I will never be skeptical of persons being treated for clinical depression again. Unless they're clearly faking it, and by careful observation it is easy to spot a faker.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join