It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk about sitting ducks (all 5 of US Navy ALT Aircraft Carriers in port)....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Nimitz was already home undergoing refit when they found a pump problem among other things, Eisenhower came home for deck resurfacing, Truman was in for minor repairs and was supposed to deploy but it was cancelled. Lincoln was supposed to enter refueling and refit. The others were in for their usual refit and maintenance.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by strykr619
news.usni.org...

I served for 8 years Navy Intel and it has been fleet doctrine for 30 years to NEVER have more then 3 carriers in port inactive at one time but wow.... talk about a good time for a false flag action.....
edit on 27-2-2013 by strykr619 because: (no reason given)

That is one scary sight for precisely the reason you mention. I wouldn't feel real comfy in Norfolk with THAT kind of target sitting there. It's literally 50% of the United States Navy right there. What IDIOT thought that was a good idea?

* I went hunting a little and came up with news that isn't exactly any better. We have TWO..... count them.. TWO... Carriers currently at Sea by this list. One other is at Yokosuka, Japan and sitting in port there.

The Stennis and the Nimitz are both currently deployed and busy. The rest are in Maintenance (4), "Surge Ready" in port (2), (The Truman and the HW Bush) and the Washington is in Japan. Enterprise is bring stripped but I wonder....still have a reactor? That would matter as a part of the larger group if an attack happened.

Now I see why Woodward was having a fit about the Truman's status and overall Naval posture. Hmm...
edit on 27-2-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Added more info

The Nimitz isn't deployed, it's still in port getting it's cooling pumps worked on. GlobalSecurity.org isn't updated.

The Eisenhower departed Norfolk 22 Feb and is transiting the Atlantic, heading back to the Gulf after getting it's flight deck repaired.

hamptonroads.com...
edit on 28-2-2013 by bg_socalif because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Hmmm.. My bad then. They have updates on some of them dated Feb. 2013, so I thought they were keeping status pretty well updated on them all. I couldn't find a Stratfor Map up anywhere and they normally have it pretty much accurate.

Sorry if that list is inaccurate.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The CIA needs to give up some of it's illicitly made money and lend it to the DoD.
Either that or we can steal, er I mean confiscate money tied to terrorism.
I bet we can get a few billion out of that.
Or we can just legalize and tax certain banned substances 100% and have enough money for everything.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
They're preparing for sequestration. They've delayed Lincoln's refuel and refit, which is going to push back other refueling and refits on other ships. They've also had to delay other maintenance on other carriers because of no money. Sequestration is also added to the billions in extra repairs to other ships from collisions, fires, and various other mishaps.

Nonsense. These expenditures could simply be prioritized ahead of, oh I dont know, the parks service, obama phone subsidies, or any number of non-essential Government busy-work.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

Of course it can, but that's what the Navy is going to do. They have already announced it. They are talking about disbanding the Blue Angels as well, which would cost them more than if they left them intact. Whoever is planning the cuts doesn't know what they're doing, but that's what they're doing.

The U.S. Navy will delay the refueling of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) for an unknown period because of the uncertain fiscal environment due to the ongoing legislative struggle, the service told Congress in a Friday message obtained by USNI News.
Lincoln was scheduled to be moved to Huntington Ingalls Industries’ (HII) Newport News Shipyard later this month to begin the 4-year refueling and complex overhaul (RCOH) of the ship.
“This delay is due to uncertainty in the Fiscal Year 2013 appropriations bill, both in the timing and funding level available for the first full year of the contract,” the message said.
“CVN-72 will remain at Norfolk Naval Base where the ships force personnel will continue to conduct routine maintenance until sufficient funding is received for the initial execution of the RCOH.”

news.usni.org...

That was back on Feb 8th.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot

Originally posted by Zaphod58
They're preparing for sequestration. They've delayed Lincoln's refuel and refit, which is going to push back other refueling and refits on other ships. They've also had to delay other maintenance on other carriers because of no money. Sequestration is also added to the billions in extra repairs to other ships from collisions, fires, and various other mishaps.

Nonsense. These expenditures could simply be prioritized ahead of, oh I dont know, the parks service, obama phone subsidies, or any number of non-essential Government busy-work.

The cuts agrred to be the GOP and DNC from the sequestration were deliberate in targeting things like the military so that it would matter and they would have to come to an agreement. Of course you could take money from a hundred other things and it would not be a drop in the bucket in the military budget. And how do phone subsidies from the 1930s some how become Obama's subsidies, of course they are not from taxes but fees the phone companies pay.

As for the safety of the carriers, nothing outside of a high yield ICBM is going to be able to take them out and if that is the case then they will not matter anyway as we will be in a full scale nuclear war. Comparing this to something like Pearl Harbor is just silly.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
So sitting in Port.
What happens to the Military personnel on them? Still active duty getting paid.
Nuclear powered not costing that much to run like fuel would.
The military still eating.

Where is this saving money then?

I'm thinking something is up and something like we have something so crazy bad we just may not need these type military anymore. Like do we have these triangle craft so many people have seen as UFO's. Was that meteor shot down in Russia?

Or are they sitting in port so what ever happens to the ocean (Pacific) they don't take the hit as bad being in Virginia.
Could be we are actually out of money due to this crazy Government running the country these days.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
So sitting in Port.
What happens to the Military personnel on them? Still active duty getting paid.
Nuclear powered not costing that much to run like fuel would.
The military still eating.

Where is this saving money then?

You don't have all the ships sailing (99% of the battle group is gas turbine powered so requires fuel which costs), you don't have all the support ships sailing (the USNS resupply ships), you don't have the air wing flying (which requires jet fuel, which costs), you don't have to pay for them to go into ports in foreign countries, etc. You actually save a lot by not sailing a carrier battle group, the problem is that when you need them they're weeks away from where you need them at, sitting in a port in the US.
edit on 2/28/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
One of the problems with sequestration is that the Navy has made the choice that they are going to cut opstempo, and leave R&D and ship building intact. They have decided that it's more important to have the capabilities later, than to have them now, and then have to ramp back up at a later date. So 10 years from now we're going to be in great shape, but for the next two or three, the Navy is screwed.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I should have known that myself. Was in the military on a couple LST as a Seabee. Those were diesel powered.
Just overlooked that part of it all. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Lets think of other reasons to have them here, even at half capacity. With pending Civil problems at home the government is aware of, could they have been brought back for quick deployment along the East Coast and in the Gulf if needed? Paranoia talking but another angle. They can sequester all they want but if needed, the military will move. If it is not a good move to keep them all there I would look for a reason outside the box to use them all. There is always a reason something is done and you have to look 2 steps back and 4 forward...

1. Ban gun sales
2. Make US citizens register all firearms, banned will be confiscated.
3. Deploy NG for enforcement
4. SHTF and people say no more and resist
5. Plant a big ass boat off the coast. Mobile drone bases and no civilian tech can touch it. total enforcement
6. Boy, that would suck

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The Navy is playing fear monger as is the illustrious Wrabbit....
Truley it would take a massive fleet of aircraft and a few carrier to attack the ship yards....
An ICBM would do it too, but that indeed would escalate things beyond the scope of aircraft carriers anyways.
Or were you worried about the Mexican Cartels submarines?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
The Navy is playing fear monger as is the illustrious Wrabbit....
Truley it would take a massive fleet of aircraft and a few carrier to attack the ship yards....
An ICBM would do it too, but that indeed would escalate things beyond the scope of aircraft carriers anyways.
Or were you worried about the Mexican Cartels submarines?

No. 5 high-yield conventional hypersonic cruise missiles will to the trick. Whether this technology exists is a different matter.

But really if starting a war with the USA was my goal the first thing I would attack is not the port but all the nuclear submarines and mainland ICBM silos. Any good General worth the cent would reach this conclusion.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Call me naive.. but WHO exactly would it be that would attack us in port???

This isn't the 1940's. Nothing is going to "sneak up on us". So who would it be? Russia? We would see them coming. China? Doubt it. Sadam maybe comes back from the dead and attacks us with his ghostly wmd's?

I think those carriers are just as safe in port as they are in the Persian Gulf. And besides.. do you know how much it takes to run a carrier group?? If these jerk-offs can't even get the budget right, its no wonder they are sitting at port. Then again, is it possible they are cycling out crew??

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
In my opinion...

This is just more fear tactics to justify the continuing deficit spending. They have no intention of becoming realistic in their appropriations of money. The Democrats are up in arms over social cuts and 1 day a week furloughs and the Republicans are crying foul about defense cuts. Neither group is going to budge over their preferred programs.

Common sense left the building years ago.

I still find it striking that we "used" to manage our money much-much better and still got everything done that needed to be done and had a solid defense.

If they are sooo concerned about the big boats sitting in port...maybe they should drop the foreign aid...use that money here and stop handing money to the mega corporations and their Wall Street criminal friends. Whew!...what a concept!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by strykr619

You do know we have 11 aircraft carriers right? We have two more being built now for a total of 13. Your title says all five. Me thinks its more right wing God I am so scared the boogie man will get us so we need to spend more on the military mentality that is the reason our nation is broke.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339
This, the Woodward thing, the Palin comment...something doesn't smell good here. Either we are expecting something and need them there (bad), something is going to be staged (bad), or we are beyond wicked broke and we are just dead in the water (bad pun).

ATS is on all the pieces and I really hope that this thing just passes over, whatever it may be.

I don't understand how money could be a reason for them being all tied up sitting at port?

I mean, the sailors will disembark the ship, go to barracks or whatever and still be drawing their wages right?

The barracks will still be buying, cooking and serving them food, energy will still be used to power the barracks, and so really the only other cost difference would be to actually move the ship itself through the water wouldn't it?

Aren't most if not all of the carriers Nuclear powered? So where's the massive costs they would be worried about if these ships were out to sea?

Then there's the cost to the country of having 50% - 75% of your carrier fleet sitting ducks at port.

I thought the world was supposed to be a very dangerous place these days...guess it's all safe now.

That should save quite a penny, now there's no threat and DHS can be wound up and put to pasture....

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
Call me naive.. but WHO exactly would it be that would attack us in port???

This isn't the 1940's. Nothing is going to "sneak up on us". So who would it be? Russia? We would see them coming. China? Doubt it. Sadam maybe comes back from the dead and attacks us with his ghostly wmd's?

I think those carriers are just as safe in port as they are in the Persian Gulf. And besides.. do you know how much it takes to run a carrier group?? If these jerk-offs can't even get the budget right, its no wonder they are sitting at port. Then again, is it possible they are cycling out crew??

Sabre rattling or not, North Korea just threatened to blow the USA away with nukes, only a few days ago.

I would have thought, even if the threat was being considered more of the same old NK nonsense, it would be prudent to come down on the side of caution.

We never stop hearing about Terrorists, wouldn't the bulk of the US carrier fleet be a tempting target for these?

We never stop hearing about Iran either, i'd imagine if they are as bloodthirsty and maniacle as they'd been repeatedly painted over the years, they might fancy a pop at a carrier or so.

The Chinese may decide to stage a preemptive missile strike, claim a missile test malfunction blah blah blah.

There's actually plenty of reasons to not put most of your eggs in one basket, however unlikely the threats might seem.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
What are those other ships at the top of the photo, they look like carriers only smaller?

LHD = Landing Helicopter Dock, the main ship of am Amphibious Ready Group, about 40,000 tons displacement, carries a lot of choppers and some Harrier jets.

Originally posted by SG-17
So only 4 carriers are in port. 6 currently at sea. That is 5 more than any other country.

COMPLETELY false! Why does this get stars? Does anyone check anything? There are THREE carriers at sea and SEVEN in port.

CVN-68 Nimitz is in home port, Everett (11/21/12). Non-deployable. Cooling pump issue.
CVN-69 Eisenhower deployed to the 5th Fleet AOR (2/22/13).
CVN-70 Vinson is conducting training in the pacific (02/21/13).
CVN-71 Roosevelt is at Newport News for RCOH & non-deployable, Avail late 2012.
CVN-72 Lincoln is in home port, Norfolk for RCOH & non-deployable, Avail 2016.
CVN-73 Washington is in home port, Yokosuka, Japan (11/21/12).
CVN-74 Stennis is in the 5th Fleet AOR (10/26/12).
CVN-75 Truman is in home port, Norfolk, VA (02/07/13).
CVN-76 Reagan is in Bremerton for DPIA & non-deployable until 2013. should be done
CVN-77 Bush is in home port, Norfolk, VA (2/21/13).

As for the so-called ALT carriers, it hardly matters as they are not fit for sea anyway. Only ONE, the USS Kitty Hawk, is being kept in "ready reserve" status. Here is their disposition:

CV-59 Forrestal, 1955—1993, Newport, RI, Fate: scrap or sink
CV-60 Saratoga, 1956—1994, Newport, RI, Fate: scrap or sink
CV-61 Ranger, 1957—1993, Bremerton, WA, Fate: scrap or museum
CV-62 Independence, 1959—1998, Bremerton, WA, Fate: scrap or sink
CV-63 Kitty Hawk, 1961—2009, Bremerton; WA, Fate: reserve until 2015
CV-64 Constellation, 1961—2003, Bremerton, Fate: scrap or sink
CVN-65 Enterprise, 1962-2012, Norfolk, Fate: scrap
CV-66 America, 1965—1996, Fate: scuttled in live fire exercise, 2005
CV-67 John F Kennedy, 1968—2007, Philadelphia, Fate: donation hold

edit on 2/28/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join