It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Waiting Game: Careful what you post

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
ATS has become such a facebookish dating site... that silly Skeptic Overlord will rue the day he disregarded and laughed at my ATS affiliate "Paranoid Partners" pay dating site proposition I floated several yrs ago.....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
ATS has become such a facebookish dating site... that silly Skeptic Overlord will rue the day he disregarded and laughed at my ATS affiliate "Paranoid Partners" pay dating site proposition I floated several yrs ago.....

You date people off here? Thats, strange

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leuan

You might want to read that post again.
No, Im very happily married.. stop eyeballing me.. although I know my avatar is sexay.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Why would anyone wanna date a conspiracy theorist?!

That's just crazy!

edit on 3/1/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

No, Im very happily married.. stop eyeballing me.. although I know my avatar is sexay.

I can't figure out who is hungry, the wolf or the girl

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Maybe it isn't necessarily identifying information that the OP is speaking of in warning you not to disclose.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a post-experience survey.

On an even more assumptive note, the entirety of our internet is passively sifted through at this point with certain areas getting additional attention. That's probably a conservative guess. :p

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I can't figure out who is hungry, the wolf or the girl

Both, of course!
AHh it was a joke I made a LOOONG time ago about an ATS dating site I was going to make called Paranoid Partners. LOL! It seemed fitting and amused me to bring up again.
Youre a good sport Leuan. Ill give you a super sense of humor ATSer discount when I get it up and running.

Wouldnt that be a serious horror show though? LMAO! I can offer a free total background check,Free Psychic Ability testing, 911 conspiracy belief spectrum compatibility questionnaire, and Myers Briggs compatibility relationship chart for gold members.... and special rates for abductees.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by toocoolnc

2. Month of birth. so?

3. Additional information. okay

4. Average age. meh

5. Do you believe in the supernatural. (confirms that member may be susceptible) not really

6. Do you believe in the supernatural. (confirms that member may be susceptible) how?

7. Do you believe in the supernatural. (reaffirms that member may be susceptible) or they have the exp points in the supernatural youre lumping people with experiences with something that can only be explained as supernatural.

8. Do you believe in the supernatural. (again reaffirms that member may be susceptible) skeptics gonna skept

9. Describe your state of mind all of them

10. Where do you born and where do you live? america 3k miles of vague

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

everybody knows my avatar is sexier than a moonshine still on a cannabis farm by the light of a silver moon

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Innocuous looking or not, I agree that the less personal info posted online the better. It only takes 29 independent bits of information to individually identify one person out of 350M people. Almost exactly half is supplied by zipcodes alone. Birthday, not including the year, supplies almost 9 of the remaining 14 bits. You give up 1 more with gender. That leaves only 4.5 bits of information needed to ID you. You can give up that much innocuous information in a heartbeat. Any information with 16 to 32 possible states that is reasonably uniformly distributed is all that is required. Age, profession, liberal/conservative/indep/...number of kids, their ages, movies you like, type of restaurants you like, topics you like... are all bits multiple bits of additional useful information.

BTW: I went to a software seminar recently where one of the three presenters indicated his company had collected hundreds of pieces of personal information on over 200M people in the US. They assist companies in marketing campaigns in such a way that the client company maximally extracts $$ from your wallet.

You think you make your own purchase decisions? Not as much as you think if you do anything online. Any smart company these days not only knows what to market to you, they know what combinations you are likely to buy -- if you search for one you will also see the other likely items fairly quickly. They also know what portion of the Web page to place particular ads to get you to click on them. These guys are modern grocery stores on steroids (bet you or your spouse love the "discounts" by joining the store "club card" -- but you will end up buying more of the high margin items that go with the "discounted" items). You are not much different in response than lab rats.

Giving out any personal information on the Web is definitely not innocuous.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

I did not read the whole thread, just commenting on the OP ...

I understand your point, I guess it boils down to what a person is comfortable with ...

Personally, I see no harm of the question's posed, barely enough to pinpoint any real useful information compared to what 50 bucks and a background agency can produce.

That is what is really scary to me, the amount of information a person can get on anyone anywhere for around 50 dollars. Name, address, phone number, income, place of employment, who else lives in your home etc etc.

I know a person who sold all they had and moved 100s of miles away to get away from a person, ditched old cell phones and plans and bought new ones and with in a month or two, that person knew everything about them from a simple background search company.

The government most likely has all this info at their fingertips as well.

Here is another story, happened recently ...

Person has a bank account and lists their cell phone as the contact number. About a year later they get a land line phone mostly used to FAX documents. Months later a deposit is made into their account at a branch about 100 miles away from their home, the next day the bank is calling the land line phone, a number not on the account, to see how their experience was, what was even weirder is the caller thanked the person and hung up before the person could even answer the question ...

Apparently, banks are also privy to this information.

Believe the only way to not be in the system with all your information out there for a fee or even free is to totally live off the grid, Log off this site immediately and ditch your computer, your home, all your bills and your job. Then grab a tent and move out into the middle of the woods or maybe try to go all "Gene Hackman" from Enemy of the State.

In the grand scheme of things I doubt the questionnaire is much to worry about.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I'll put in a good word for smyleegrl, I've seen her around and she seems legitimate : )

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

It would be cool to have a dating site involved with ATS...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

It would be cool to have a dating site involved with ATS...

Funny you mentioned that, just yesterday I saw a post from someone in a thread going in detail about their likes and interests, I was like whoa ... That is new one

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I guess I'm the odd duck but I've never quite understood the near obsessive approach to "privacy".

As if any of us has any, anyway. I don't just plop my full real name or street address into a post here and for a number of reasons ...trolls haunting me is sure one of them. However, it's also in the full knowledge that someone with a couple hours and more than a little common sense could back track my post history and search a bit online to come up with both and with little more than time being the issue involved.

Unless someone is using an encrypted proxy network and NEVER EVER fails the security protocols of using it ... Even ONCE.... privacy is a joke as a whole and a purely relative thing. No one really has any and we all say more about ourselves than we'd probably realize anyway. I was surprised at the survey thread but only because of the "never ever ever ever" T&C policy about data collection for even trivial or casual things.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jcutler12888

Hi jcutler....I really enjoy reading what you write....
I too had an abusive husband try to kill me...along with constant threats that he would.
After almost 7 years of living in hiding, kicking dirt over my tracks so I wouldn't be found....I no longer choose to live in fear.
I am certainly NOT afraid of participating in smyleegrl's thread, as I am quite sure that her 'motives' are genuine, and nothing to be fearful of. (in another thread, members are adding their personal photos....). Maybe we are sick of living in fear, and want to tell our stories?
Anyway....I have thoroughly enjoyed the 'Waiting Game' thread and it's companion questionnaire thread.
We have the choice to participate....or move on. If you don't want to participate....then you should just....move on.
(That last part wasn't for you jcutler, lol....but I'm sure you know that).
jacygirl

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
I'll put in a good word for smyleegrl, I've seen her around and she seems legitimate : )

Thank you darkbake,

That means a lot. Really. You just made my friends list. (membership entitles you to a free brainwashing pass and lifetime exemption from my identity theft scheme).

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I have participated in quite a few threads that smyleegirl has contributed to, she honestly does not seem like a threat to me. She claims to be a 1st grade school teacher and based on her responses and typical thread interest I totally believe her and her intentions. None of the questions seem all that threatening to me, and trust me if the letter agencies are interested in finding you they heardly need questions such as "have you ever had a psychic experience?" and "country of origin?" to find you.

Edit, I am on my way to take her quiz now.....thanks

edit on 1-3-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: Edit

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

You're right

Japanese J-Legue, atomic football... Hiroshima - Nagazzaki 1:1... Type 0

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ahhh but the trouble with public information has existed long before ATS:

You can change your cell phone number and block texts. You can still be found. That or my ex is some kinda super hacker.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join