It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY Weapons of the Syrian Rebels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Nearly two years after the start of Syria's popular uprising, the conflict has evolved into a slow-moving, brutal civil war with many players and no clear end in sight. Multiple rebel groups across the country continue to fight President Bashar al-Assad's forces, using any weapons they can get their hands on. While the rebels are using many modern weapons, they've also come up with their own makeshift solutions.

Found this article today, and thought everyone might enjoy it. No matter what side of the Syrian conflict you support you have to admit these folks are showing some pretty amazing ingenuity. I am impressed at the effect they are able to put on the opposition with some pipe and a cell phone compass.

This is some real (dare I say it?) Yankee know-how!

Improvised Syrian Weapons

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
kinda goes to show the futility of attempting to regulate weapons as when the time comes people will make their own to reist those that would do them harm

and to add i love how toyota is the universal weapons platforms for insurgents around the globe seems you can add anything to a hilux
edit on 27-2-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

and configuring a over under shotgun to fire grenades is ingenious

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This pic alone is worth reading the whole article. I LOVE the expressions on these guy's faces!

Full Pic

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Some of those grenade launcher methods look a bit sketchy. I was kind of impressed with their ability to rig a gaming controller to the turret of "sham 2"

I'll give them credit for using some ingenuity.. but I don't think any of these home made weapons would pass a safety inspection.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
This pic alone is worth reading the whole article. I LOVE the expressions on these guy's faces!

Full Pic

LOL

Rebel 1: "Don't worry, we've done this about a hundred times now"

Rebel 2: "I'm going to need to change my underwear after this"

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Them boys got spunk.. love the ps1 controller for the turret on sham2. Moderwarfare 5 beta testing seems to be going good.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
if any one checked out the comments section you can find out that the "catapult" they labeled is actually a trebuchet and of a design that was made by American hobbyists(MURLIN look for it on youtube)....also didnt any one else think it was probably not the best plan for that guy to be smoking while loading those home made mortars? and the fact that they are combining modern tech with ancient ones shows how crafty they really are makes me think of the old hank song country boy will survive but with an Arab twang of "a mortar ,a home made missile and a 4wd will help the Syrian rebels survive"

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

other examples of home made weapons can be found at the above links
edit on 27-2-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: add links

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Well that is just as creative as anything. I suppose it's a look at how creative any population with machine shops and industrial supplies can be if they desire to be....Hmm.. Some Western nations perhaps.
Interesting what they could do with so little to work with, to be sure.

I do kinda wonder about the validity of one photo though. Surprisingly for the FSA stuff, only one really got my attention too. It's #2. That looks like a kid.....except for the wedding ring and that is what first got my attention. What idiot wears a bright, shiny new wedding band like that in a war zone? The right reflection off that would be awfully helpful to someone looking for it. Then I got to noticing super clean...everything. Looks like the cammies just came out of a plastic package. He's spotless and even the shoes only look like a few steps of mud to get right there since bought or last cleaned really well. Hmmm.... I smell set on that one.

The rest though? lol... You can't fake some of that creativity. Great thread!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
There is nothing "Syrian" about those rebels. Those are foreign invaders, buckets of wasted sperm. Look into the eyes of those maggots, drugged up and glossed over. Those bastards ruined that country.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Don't sugar-coat it, man. Tell us what you REALLY think of them....

Now how 'bout them weapons?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I love that "shame 2" armor car!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

Don't sugar-coat it, man. Tell us what you REALLY think of them....

Now how 'bout them weapons?

I'm going to be polite and kindly disclose to you that my parents are from Syria. We are Arab Christians. I have seen this once beautiful country being torn apart buy a bunch of western funded thugs.

Glad you found "them weapons" amusing.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Here is another story with a few additional pictures.

TakePart

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Every tragedy has two sides. I don't even pretend to know enough to judge either one, and I won't. This thread is about improvised weapons.

If you need to talk about truth and justice please feel free to start your own thread.

Thank You

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
if any one checked out the comments section you can find out that the "catapult" they labeled is actually a trebuchet and of a design that was made by American hobbyists(MURLIN look for it on youtube)....also didnt any one else think it was probably not the best plan for that guy to be smoking while loading those home made mortars? and the fact that they are combining modern tech with ancient ones shows how crafty they really are makes me think of the old hank song country boy will survive but with an Arab twang of "a mortar ,a home made missile and a 4wd will help the Syrian rebels survive"

yep, google punkin chunkin and take a look at some of the homemade steam cannons that the country boys make for launching pumpkins, some of those things look like full fledged artillery pieces.

Here`s one that was mounted in the back of a school bus:

You have to really love shooting pumpkins into the air to make something like that

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

You have to really love shooting pumpkins into the air to make something like that

And a couple bucks, too.
Pipe that size ain't cheap!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Great DIY weapons. Shame the only explosion coming from them will be after an airstrike. As for the thugs in the photo, I agree with Solarstorm and I hope your family stay safe over there.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
More improvised weapons, this time in Libya.

This Al Jazeera shows off some of the improvised technology being developed in support of the rebel forces in Libya. Among the wares is a repurposed Power Wheels toy outfitted with a machine gun.

Makezine

Necessity is the mother of invention everywhere i suppose. Not sure I like that the weapons are being made in a school yard, though. Don't hide behind the kids!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
There is nothing "Syrian" about those rebels. Those are foreign invaders, buckets of wasted sperm. Look into the eyes of those maggots, drugged up and glossed over. Those bastards ruined that country.

Let me get this right……..

There is no native adyghe people .
There is no native Kurdish people.
There is no native Assyrian people.
There is no native Armenian people.

No one from those groups are native to Syria?
They are all foreign invaders?

Please wait while I come to grips with your world bending revelations.

Welcome to la la land……and my brain hurts!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com... guess the west is sending in more supplies and aid so who knows what else they will start making when the cash food and supplies start rolling in. says its "non lethal aid" i think that just means some assembly required

WASHINGTON — The United States is significantly stepping up its support for the Syrian opposition, senior administration officials said on Wednesday, helping to train rebels at a base in the region and for the first time offering armed groups nonlethal assistance and equipment that could help their military campaign.
so it seems we have some forces on the ground involved in training(probably green berets if from America for example)

www.reuters.com...

One source said the United States was also expected to announce a large increase in assistance to the Syrian National Coalition, the main civilian opposition group. The announcements could come as early as Thursday in Rome, where U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will meet coalition members at a "Friends of Syria" meeting of mostly European and Arab nations supporting the opposition. The steps would reflect a U.S. desire to do more to help the opposition in the conflict, in which an estimated 70,000 people have died since protests against Assad erupted nearly two years ago, while stopping far short of a full-blown military intervention, for which Washington appears to have no appetite. The moves, however, might not satisfy some members of the Syrian National Coalition, which last week said it would boycott the conference out of frustration at not receiving more assistance and only agreed to come on Monday.

news.antiwar.com... alternate source if ruters and nytimes are not your thing

top topics

<<   2 >>

join