It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woodward: White House Warned Me "You Will Regret Doing This"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Actually very relevant, and all the more interesting....think on that.
If, and that is if Woodward is speaking out now in any way as a timed event,
that would point you in the right direction.

Sure...how about this zinger from the best investigative journalist we have around:

Woodward believed the Bush administration's claims of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction prior to the war. During an appearance on Larry King Live, he was asked by a telephone caller, "Suppose we go to war and go into Iraq and there are no weapons of mass destruction," Woodward responded "I think the chance of that happening is about zero. There's just too much there."[12]

Seems like perhaps he sometimes doesn't know as much as he would like us to believe. Or perhaps, there is a different motive behind his words.

link

CJ

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
As I agree with Woodward on this he has Intelligence ties at the least and quite possibly ties to CIA. So anything coming out of his mouth has a greater agenda.

A Yalie and a Secret Society Member

The staunchly conservative Bob Woodward grew up in Wheaton, Illinois. A good student at Yale, he was ultimately one of fifteen seniors "tapped" for one of that university's secret societies, Book and Snake, a cut below the more infamous Skull and Bones, but the top of the second-tier fraternities. Woodward had his first journalistic experience working for the Banner, a Yale publication. In his 1965 yearbook he was referred to as a "Banner mogul." Havill writes,

Certainly, with the CIA encouraged to recruit on the Yale campus, particularly among history majors and secret societies, it is more than reasonable to assume Bob may have been one of those approached by the agency, or by a military intelligence unit, especially after four years of naval ROTC training. Although it would answer a lot of questions that have been raised about Bob Woodward, at this point one can only speculate as to whether he was offered the chance to become a "double-wallet guy," as CIA agents who have two identities are dubbed. It would certainly be understandable if he decided not to adhere to the straight and accepted the submerged patriotic glamour and extra funds that such a relationship would provide. It would also explain the comments of Pulitzer Prize-winning author J. Anthony Lukas, when he wrote in 1989 that Bob Woodward was "temperamentally secretive, loathe to volunteer information about himself," or the Washingtonian's remarks in 1987: "He is secretive about everything." As Esquire magazine put it, summing up in its 1992 article on Bob, "What is he hiding?"

Woodward

Interesting. However, every member of the media, be it MSM or "alternative" are approached and co-opted by the
CIA according to Operation Mockingbird.
We can hope though that he being from a rival, second-rate secret society that it may have worked to have him be more willing to spill the beans on the Skull and Bonies. Or that he decided he wasn't for sale at any price.

Whatever his motivations, maybe he has grandchildren he doesn't want to have to face the future being created by political fools. Every man has to answer for his actions and inactions.
His verbal sword has cut both ways, so at least he is not the unforgivable partison hack writer.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Seems like perhaps he sometimes doesn't know as much as he would like us to believe. Or perhaps, there is a different motive behind his words.

Things are not always as they seem.
Time is great a great magnifiying glass.

Either way, its highly relevant.

edit on 27-2-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yes, all of that, feel as if this is a bad dream, yet wake every day
and find it is indeed real....and mostly I am seriously curious.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
He needs to give copies of all his stuff to tons of different individuals which he probably has already done, being as smart and careful as he's been.

They would need to destroy his name and credibility first before going after him. Even if he was to have an "accident" such as a car accident or running into a bullet, due to resent events, people would see through it. But if his credibility is crushed then they could just brush it away in the news once his "accident" occurs.

Need more reporters like this who report for the people.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Eh...just more theater. Agent Woodward has been a front for the right wing military for the past four decades, Under the cover of a hard charging investigative reporter, Woodward is integral to Washington's myth-making machine. He has steered stories, including Watergate (he did CIA's bidding to take Nixon down) and represents the viewpoints of military and intelligence.Woodward granted former CIA director George H.W. Bush a pass by excluding him from accounts of Iran-Contra, -

Re: Watergate, as top secret Naval officer, Woodward, was sent to work in the Nixon White House while still on military duty. Then, with no journalistic credentials he lands a job at the Washington Post. Then he starts to take down Richard Nixon while Woodward’s military bosses are running a spy ring inside the White House that involves stealing documents and funneling them back to the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The powers that were did not trust Nixon in carrying out their agenda. He had to go. He was just a dupe in the Watergate scandal

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by divideandconquer
Eh...just more theater. Agent Woodward has been a front for the right wing military for the past four decades, Under the cover of a hard charging investigative reporter, Woodward is integral to Washington's myth-making machine. He has steered stories, including Watergate (he did CIA's bidding to take Nixon down) and represents the viewpoints of military and intelligence.Woodward granted former CIA director George H.W. Bush a pass by excluding him from accounts of Iran-Contra, -

Re: Watergate, as top secret Naval officer, Woodward, was sent to work in the Nixon White House while still on military duty. Then, with no journalistic credentials he lands a job at the Washington Post. Then he starts to take down Richard Nixon while Woodward’s military bosses are running a spy ring inside the White House that involves stealing documents and funneling them back to the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The powers that were did not trust Nixon in carrying out their agenda. He had to go. He was just a dupe in the Watergate scandal

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like I said in a previous page,

"The fact that it came from an Obama White House means;
Woodward will be demonized by the media
Anyone who reports this will be ostracized
Many will defend it."

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

If you're more interested in that bittersweet era of history, take a look at Secret Agenda (1984) by Jim Hougan, author of the excellent and definitive Spooks. In the introduction, Hougan writes that "'Watergate' then was not so much a partisan political scandal as it was, secretly, a sex scandal, the unpredictable outcome of a CIA operation that in the simplest of terms, tripped on its own shoelaces. There is more, much more, but the point is made: our recent history is a forgery, the by-product of secret agents acting in secret agendas of their own."

CIA operative Frank Sturgis, for example, is quoted in Hougan's book as saying that he "went to see Burt Lancaster in Scorpio. It's funny. The movie's about this CIA guy who's betrayed by the agency. Sorta like what happened to us, you know. I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Watergate was a CIA setup. We were just pawns." (p. 219)

Also according to Hougan Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward, author of All the President's Men (1974), has a strong Old Boys Network background. He is the son of a Republican judge and a Yale graduate with a stint in the Navy as a liaison officer for the Task Force 157, an Office of Naval Intelligence operation. This ONI Task Force, using the top secret SR-1 channel, coordinated communiques between the CIA, NSA, DIA, NSC, and the State Department. Most likely Woodward continued his spooky work, while writing for the Washington Post, a cover which quite frankly would be hard to beat.

Woodward himself said that "Watergate was about covert activities [which] involve the whole US intelligence community and are incredible. Deep Throat [Woodward's informant] refused to give specifics because it is against the law. 'fhe cover-up has little to do with Watergate, but was mainly to protect the covert operation." (p. 371)

"Whose covert operations?" asks Hougan. "The CIA's? Task Force 157, the FBI joint Chiefs, NSA, DIA? These were not questions that the Post was willing to raise."

www.umsl.edu...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Again, all that is perhaps relevant in a small way,
that was then this is now.

So, who is working for who?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

burntheships,

Seems to me that the a high placed individual from the White House pushing around the guy that helped bring Nixon down is not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. If you know what I mean. I'm sure with a little prying and snooping he might be able to squeeze a little more than the average bear out of some people occupying our House who are not too particulary thrilled with the Commander-in-Chief. Sounds like this high placed official might actually be screwing themselves and his boss and not even know it yet.

What a bunch of arrogant pricks.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

benrl,

You're right about Kennedy. When the gunmen took him out it was a game changer. We or our children and grandchildren may never get to see an America that is justified in it's pride ever again.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Woodward exposing the limitation of the reach of the President, calling it a type of madness, I believe he was showing the cognitive dissonance of being big America and acting impotent, which understandably then would bruise an ego. It actually reminds me of the Bible book Ecclesiastes, chapter 6 verse 2:

[2] A man to whom God hath given riches, wealth, and honour, so that he wanteth nothing for his soul of all that he desireth, yet God giveth him not power to eat thereof, but a stranger eateth it: this is vanity, and it is an evil disease.

Not exact but close to what I was thinking about..

That First Amendment is grand. He got to do it, whether or not he will regret it.

It is a deja vu feeling looking at this one. Maybe because in a world of sheeple a big thing connected to the word madness comes from the movie 300. That could steer the public's opinion away from what he may have originally intended.

I think the argument gets into trouble when you realize, for pieces of paper, we have a nation. For pieces of paper, we have rights to defend. So, if it comes to the reaction to ignore pieces of paper, you don't want to give any upset (mad) leader any ideas over which pieces of paper to disregard. Because I like that First Amendment. The Second one too, and more.

edit on 27-2-2013 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Are they checking it twice?
Gonna find out whose naughty or nice. Obama'clause is comin'...Okay thats enough.

That is a pretty big statement to send in an email to a journalist. I mean, why would they send something like that to a well known journalist? Did they think that would be enough to shut him up? Who exactly is it from in the WH? Hmm.. Something doesn't smell right.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many will defend it."

Can you believe that this is on the front page of CNN? I had to pinch myself to make certain I wasn't dreaming.
An unidentified person from the White House said that it was a misunderstanding. So there is no denying that this really happened. Perhaps a copy of the email may be in order? Then we can see for ourselves if it was a misunderstanding or not.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by divideandconquer
Eh...just more theater. Agent Woodward has been a front for the right wing military for the past four decades, Under the cover of a hard charging investigative reporter, Woodward is integral to Washington's myth-making machine.

Go on. Curosity it seems, has overtaken me. What makes you believe he is part of the "right wing military" and for that matter, what is the "right wing military"? Does the "left wing" have a "military" too? Honestly, I would like to see your reasoning here. I have conceded that people make wild claims on ATS and I would like to know.

He has steered stories, including Watergate (he did CIA's bidding to take Nixon down) and represents the viewpoints of military and intelligence.Woodward granted former CIA director George H.W. Bush a pass by excluding him from accounts of Iran-Contra...

Those are heavy claims. Care to expand them and tell us how you arrived at those conclusions?

Pure speculation for the most part in my opinion but I guess we can draw those conclusions if we want. Military records state that Woodward left the service in '70 and Watergate didn't happen til '72. So we are speculating that Woodward was groomed for two years; mind you, a run of the mill intelligence officer for the Navy; to bring down a presidential candidate and sitting president?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Perhaps a copy of the email may be in order? Then we can see for ourselves if it was a misunderstanding or not.

I called that in my initial post. Woodward the demolisher of Presidents, should show the People the email if he truly is starting to call out emperor that is wearing no clothes. Otherwise, get ready for another book and this is all a big ploy to get free media time for it.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

Originally posted by beezzer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many will defend it."

Can you believe that this is on the front page of CNN? I had to pinch myself to make certain I wasn't dreaming.
An unidentified person from the White House said that it was a misunderstanding. So there is no denying that this really happened. Perhaps a copy of the email may be in order? Then we can see for ourselves if it was a misunderstanding or not.

A misunderstanding. Oh.

A misunderstanding is getting decaf instead of regular at Starbucks.

The White House threatened and is now sucking wind.

(in my humble opinion)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter

Whatever his motivations, maybe he has grandchildren he doesn't want to have to face the
future being created by political fools. Every man has to answer for his actions and inactions.
His verbal sword has cut both ways, so at least he is not the unforgivable partison hack writer.

Yes, very well said.
I happen to agree with this, spot on.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Not only is it very telling about our government but also absurdly unprofessional.

While I think Woodward has been pretty good about being fair and balanced compared to most, especially nowadays, I'm sure the left will be bringing up Woodward's association with Plamegate.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sharkman

Squeezing...yes he is. No name given as to the person who sent the email,
and its now plastered all over the net, and some MSM news media print and prime time.

Indeed, even Carney has seemed very ruffled this last week. I try and imagine
someone yelling at Woodward for half an hour, then threatening him.

What did they expect? He is old after all, and may feel its time to cash it in.

The fact that it is very late in the process does not escape me, seems that
he kicked in right after the elections.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join