It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner Finds Teen Walking 10 Snowy Miles for Job Interview. Guess Where He’s Working Now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
How can I not post this? Another great story with 2 strangers involved...an act of kindness and a reward that goes beyond anything that can be bought or sold.

I just had to post it because quite frankly I've been getting so depressed lately that when something like this happens, I get a breath of fresh air if even only for a moment.

www.theblaze.com...

Art Bouvier, the owner of a New Orleans-inspired restaurant located in Indianapolis saw a young man trudging through the early morning snow and ice last week. The teen stopped to ask Bouvier — who owns Papa Roux Po Boys and Cajun Food– how much further it might be to his final destination and was told it was six to seven miles. “He thanked me and continued on,” Bouvier, who also goes by Papa, wrote of the encounter in a now viral Facebook post. “He could have asked me for money for a bus. In fact I quite expected him to. He didn’t. He just started walking.”

And boy, do I remember these stories from my dad...
Except he used to say it was 10 feet of snow and he didn't have shoes...

“I’m thinking to myself, here’s a kid walking almost 10 miles in the ice and slush and snow for the hope of a job at minimum wage,” Bouvier told Fox 59. “That’s the kind of story your parents used to tell, my parents used to tell, up both ways in the snow.”
This is someone I would hire immediately although I hope no one has to go through this personally.

“It’s been a while since I’ve met someone so young with a work ethic like that!” Bouvier continued writing. When he saw Reagan walking two hours ahead of his interview to ensure he would be on time, Bouvier told TheBlaze he knew it was a sign of his work ethic. “I tell every single applicant, I can show you the ropes, but what I can’t teach is work ethic. Show up. Be on time. Don’t disappoint your crew,” Bouvier said, giving the example of poor work ethic as those who call at 9:55 to say they won’t make their 10:00 shift. “You know before 9:55 you aren’t going to make that shift. …I don’t think I’ll ever get that 9:55 phone call from [Reagan].”

And last but definitely not least:

In a phone interview with TheBlaze, Bouvier went on to say he told Reagan whatever the other shop offered him, he would double it.

the local transit authority IndyGo gave Reagan a one-year pass free of charge.

I'm so happy for this young man that I could almost pee....oops, think I just did...Damn! I'm getting old.

Peace

edit on 27-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ask any employer out there and they will tell you the biggest problem they have is finding good help. I have to meet with many employers on my advisory committee and the constant complaint is a lot of young people today have very poor work ethics. They're not reliable, don't arrive on time for work and are poorly motivated.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I did not have to read your post because I read this article this morning and I was just awed both by the kid and the business owner for being real honest to god people.

No bullcrap here, when I was 16 years old I used to walk about 2 miles to one job (7am-3pm) then walk across the road and work (4pm till 8pm) then my dad was home so he would pick me up after that and get me home.

This young man has very good work ethics and regardless of education he is going to do something with his life.

The business owner who hired him has got some serious people skills and a real good perspective on potential employees.

Not only that he showed some real empathy towards a person whom was really really down but wanted to work no matter what.

Great to see this posted and a HUGE S&F to the OP

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
It doesn't snow in New Orleans, come on.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybro
It doesn't snow in New Orleans, come on.

You're almost right...

It does however snow in Indianapolis.

New Orleans-inspired restaurant located in Indianapolis.

Peace

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Yup,

He went further than most would in search of work.

I've had employees tell me that they can't walk a half mile and won't work because there's no bus route.

Oh well, this kid is getting paid!

Peace

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Ask any employer out there and they will tell you the biggest problem they have is finding good help. I have to meet with many employers on my advisory committee and the constant complaint is a lot of young people today have very poor work ethics. They're not reliable, don't arrive on time for work and are poorly motivated.

Just to add...

We must be careful painting kids with the same broad brush strokes that we sometimes do. I've been guilty of it myself.

This young man is proof of that and right now I have two 18 yr old workers that show up on time, don't complain, do their job, are polite to customers and are eager to learn.

I will say that I went through a lot of coal for the diamonds but it's worth it when you get there.

Peace

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

The average consumer at a brick and mortar has the same problem....

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard

The average consumer at a brick and mortar has the same problem....

I'm not sure if I understand the reference.

Can you please elaborate?

Thanks.

Peace

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

We must be careful painting kids with the same broad brush strokes that we sometimes do. I've been guilty of it myself.

I know there are some hard working young people out there. In my case though, I see way too many apathetic and lazy students. I've been teaching for over 20 years now, and I must say the work ethics of students I see on a daily basis in our school is alarming to say the least.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Lovely story jude thanks

I can relate as I walked to my job of 5 years several km's there and back. Wasn't fun at all!

I'll get my reward someday like this chap I hope

Beautiful seeing people helping each other, I'm such a softie but wish it would happen more often.

Thanks for sharing. Starred it. Flagged it. Love it.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Heartwarming story, thanks for the post Jude!

This so reminds me of my grandparents, this is what they would have
told me as a way of encouragement to be diligent...get up at the crack of
dawn and milk cows before breakfast, work hard and everything will work out fine.

edit on 28-2-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by jude11

Heartwarming story, thanks for the post Jude!

This so reminds me of my grandparents, this is what they would have
told me as a way of encouragement to be diligent...get up at the crack of
dawn and milk cows before breakfast, work hard and everything will work out fine.

edit on 28-2-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I know what you mean and have the same memories.

Unfortunately it's getting to be illegal to drink milk from the source.

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
all you people bashing young people can go stick it to be honest, acting like you're the golden generation..

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That might sound like a happy story to some.. Probably those with jobs..

I walked 8 miles to a job interview recently.. Not because I have any kind of strong ethic, but because what else am I really going to do?? Starve? That minimum wage job had a series of interviews and 100 applicants.. Wee..

I have some more interviews lined up for other things, but my hopes are not too high..

Some one mentioned it's hard to find good help.. Haha, well apparently not in my area.. I don't see anyone getting fired, and trust me I'm so cutthroat now I would gladly take a lazy persons job.. I'd do it in a second.

Walking to work is easy, it's having work to walk to that is the issue..
edit on 2/28/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

As much as this story warms my heart the sad reality is this kid is just publicity! how would the boss know this kids work ethic when he hasn't worked for him yet? he's making assumptions solely based off this kid walking in snow which many people have done hell i walked 12 miles to a minimum wage job through a heat wave for a week 105 to 115 degrees lol I had to bring my work attire in a bag so it didn't get soaked from perspiration on the walk to work. You know what nobody gave a damn and if they really did I would think they wouldn't post it for the whole world to see and the boss and business get free publicity for being such a stand up guy

seriously I hate to be that guy but in this day and age its hard to believe when the owner doesn't remain anonymous. Yeah i will pay him double lol 16 dollars an hour dish washer or busboy come on
edit on 28-2-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by jude11

That might sound like a happy story to some.. Probably those with jobs..

I walked 8 miles to a job interview recently.. Not because I have any kind of strong ethic, but because what else am I really going to do?? Starve? That minimum wage job had a series of interviews and 100 applicants.. Wee..

I have some more interviews lined up for other things, but my hopes are not too high..

Some one mentioned it's hard to find good help.. Haha, well apparently not in my area.. I don't see anyone getting fired, and trust me I'm so cutthroat now I would gladly take a lazy persons job.. I'd do it in a second.

Walking to work is easy, it's having work to walk to that is the issue..

Can't give a guy a break for doing what you say you are capable of but many are not?

Shame.

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
reply to post by jude11

As much as this story warms my heart the sad reality is this kid is just publicity! how would the boss know this kids work ethic when he hasn't worked for him yet? he's making assumptions solely based off this kid walking in snow which many people have done hell i walked 12 miles to a minimum wage job through a heat wave for a week 105 to 115 degrees lol I had to bring my work attire in a bag so it didn't get soaked for perspiration on the walk to work. You know what nobody gave a damn and if they really did I would think they wouldn't post it for the whole world to see and the boss and business get free publicity for being such a stand up guy

And again...

Can't give a guy a break for doing what you say you are capable of but many are not?

Shame.

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
reply to post by jude11

As much as this story warms my heart the sad reality is this kid is just publicity! how would the boss know this kids work ethic when he hasn't worked for him yet? he's making assumptions solely based off this kid walking in snow which many people have done hell i walked 12 miles to a minimum wage job through a heat wave for a week 105 to 115 degrees lol I had to bring my work attire in a bag so it didn't get soaked for perspiration on the walk to work. You know what nobody gave a damn and if they really did I would think they wouldn't post it for the whole world to see and the boss and business get free publicity for being such a stand up guy

And again...

Shame.

Peace

No Jude I just don't jump into the hype when the reality is this kid is untrained and new and the boss is going to pay him double the wage. Like I said 16 dollars an hour for an untrained busboy or dishwasher is not going to make you a lot of friends at work especially with the people who are trained and make less. Then add in how the employer just hypes up the story walking through snow, paying him double talking about his work ethic even though he doesn't know about it yet.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Shame.

Peace

What are you talking about? I never said anything about the guy..

Shame you misread me,

peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join