It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Burned and Bloodied Sex Workers of South Mumbai

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Searched for the name of the article nothing came up. This article is published by Vice. These guys tend to come up with some really good information regularly. They tend to be one of my top alternative media sources because of the content of what they publish.

This is a serious publication by Vice as usual. I wanted to share this so Americans can see how good we actually still have it. Not to minimize anything but just for perspective....

If you have a weak stomac you wont want to look at the pictures, or maybe even read the article...

An estimated 100,000 sex workers currently earn a living working in the brothels of South Mumbai’s red-light districts. Most of them are not there voluntarily, but rather, have been sold into sex work, sometimes by a relative or trusted family friend. Some are born into it. Life within the red-light districts isn't easy. In fact, it's pretty much like living in a giant toilet bowl full of syringes and awful people. These women live on the fringes of a society defined by the unrelenting harshness of its edges. They are frowned upon and ignored.

I began my photo essay on a group of sex workers based in the red-light districts of Kamathipura, Falkland Road, and Worli. The prostitutes work with Social Activities Integration (SAI), a small NGO modeled on the Didi ("Sister") Project. These women take what they learn about HIV, STDs, and women's rights back to their communities and teach others about the importance of condoms and HIV testing, giving them a sense of purpose and self-respect—in addition to helping them reduce the risk of sexual disease.

After getting to know some of the women, I felt the need to make my project more personal, in order to tell their stories. Obviously, each of them was a sister, a mother, or a daughter, not just a sex worker. I looked to create images of intimacy, femininity, and tenderness that would contrast with the often brutal reality of their lives. I wanted the viewer to gain insight into the lives of these women. This set of photographs is a selection focusing on violence against these women, taken from my project ,The Sisters of Kamathipura.

The women the project focuses on include Hajra, who is HIV-positive and severely scarred after being set on fire with a kerosene lamp. She is generous, determined, and has an amazing sense of humor. There is also Jyoti, who is 19 and lives in her mother’s brothel. She would have liked to be a policewoman so that she could help women like her sister and mother, but she did not finish her education. Like most teenagers, Jyoti loves music and makeup. Salma and Sony both have young daughters. In a perfect world, Sony would be a Bollywood actress; Salma’s only dream is to keep her daughter safe.

OMG this woman was set on fire? Man..... relentless..

I dont really have much to say other then this world is sick. We need to make sure were focusing on fixing the right things with this world. I really hope this helps broaden some horizons and i thank Vice for publishing such great work. Great meaning informative.

Jeez i almost forgot...

Source...

edit on 27-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Big fan of VICE. They have a pair of balls like no one else in journalism. They go to places most people wouldn't go. Talk to people that no one would want to talk to.

This story is just messed up in general. Stuff like this is what makes me sick of being on this planet and makes me disgusted at our race as human beings. When will the world understand human lives are not expendable.

Star and flag.

-SAP-
edit on 27-2-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I agree. I tend to read every article they publish. This world is sickening and its really time for change.

We should be starting this change here on ATS with how we treat each other as members and PEOPLE.

Oh and thanks.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I agree with you as well. I used to be shocked when I read things like this, but after becoming a member of ATS I am not longer shocked by these kinds of acts...

Some people are better off then others, sadly those are the ones with the money. The 1%. We 99% are basically dead in the water.

Sorry to sound so negitive, but I tend to see the world for what it is.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Seems as if there is another social divide that exist between the west and what we perceive as a social divide and what the rest if the world sees as. Social divide. Maybe this is apart of the disdain others feel towards the us. We seem to forget how good we actually have it.

join