It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pluto moon naming contest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
After nearly a half million votes cast by the public, Pluto’s two tiniest moons may have new names – one of them possibly being christened after the home world of a famous fictional pointy-eared humanoid named Mr.Spock.

Astronomer Michael Showalter and his team who discovered these tiny worldlets put a call out to the internet community asking for help in naming the moons, now known only as P4 and P5. The only stipulation for original entries were that they had to be associated with the gods of the underworld from Greek and Roman mythology., just like Pluto and its three other moons which already have names.

Originally there were 12 names on a list to choose from but thanks to the suggestion of famed actor William Shatner aka Captain James T. Kirk from the original Star Trek television series, a new, wildly popular entry- Vulcan – took the lead early on. According to ancient Roman mythology Vulcan is the god of lava and is also the nephew of Pluto.

Read the rest of it HERE

What would you choose for nameing the two moons?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'd name them Nibiru and Wormwood........ Oh wait, nm.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Mickey and Minnie

Spot and Fido

erm.. I may be wrong but those don`t look like names of greek gods

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
diddle dum and diddle dee,no reason what so ever,just sounds fun lol

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
If one is named Vulcan I think it only fair to name the other Klingon since they didn't use it for one of Uranus's moons.

Of course in the future when they look back and study our culture they may think Spock and Kirk to be our Gods. Wouldn't that be funny. The Church of Vulcanology and Tiberians.
edit on 27-2-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
goofy ?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Covered here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

2 days ago.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Vulcan sounds appropriate, but sooner or later they'll run out of Mythological Deities to name moons and planets after.

If they ever find a forest moon I'll know what to call it

top topics

join