It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TED 2013: SpaceTop 3D see-through computer revealed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm not computer wizard but this amazing technology unveiled at the recent TED 2013 event looks to me as if it has massive potential in the right hands.

It actually looked like something from the sci fi movie Minority Report to me on first viewing but check out the demonstration video on the link below and let the rest of us know what the resident computer buffs on ATS think of the potential of this incredible technology.

article

"A transparent computer that allows users to reach inside and touch digital content has been unveiled at the TED conference in Los Angeles.

TED fellow Jinha Lee has been working on the SpaceTop 3D desktop in collaboration with Microsoft.

Allowing people to interact with machines in the same way they do with solid objects could make computing much more intuitive, he told the BBC".

source

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 27-2-2013 by MisterMiyagi because: forgot to include source

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterMiyagi

That is mental!
Great find!

"It could be used in schools," said Mr Lee.

"If kids are learning about planetary movement they can pick up a model of a planet and place it in orbit. That is tangible and makes the learning experience so much more powerful."

That sounds pretty cool.
I wonder what other things could be done with it. Like dismantling a little model of Earth layer by layer till you get to the core, then rebuild it. I would've payed more attention at school if we had some of these.
We saved our stuff on floppy disks when I was in school!

He is also working on an augmented reality shopping app, which combined with a virtual reality handset would allow users to try on items such as watches from online shops.

At TED, which stands for Technology, Education and Design, he also demonstrated other projects he is working on, including ZeroN, a floating ball, which can literally be placed in midair.

It utilises electromagnetism to stay afloat and when coupled with software can be used for a variety of applications

edit on 27/2/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Future technology, another two decades, if the money men havent blown us all up by then we may all be living in a technological golden age, so close. Well some might, I cant personaly vouch for the unfortunates slaving away in Industro Sector 9's carbon mines, HOWEVER for the rest of us in our shiny corporate fortresses, it should be fine.
edit on 27-2-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
As an avid user of all things electronic, I can only say this:

edit on 28-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Thanks for uploading the video clip SilentE.

Yes,school would have been a lot more fun and interesting and stimulating for creative students like myself back in the 70's and 80's if we had access to this type of technology. If only it had been around back then ...

Jealousy is a terrible thing

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
As an avid user of all things electronic, I can only say this:

edit on 28-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

And the best one liner and supporting photo on ATS award 2013 goes to ....

wait for it.......

Afterinfinity *round of applause*

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I wonder how long ago the armed forces and alphabet agencies had this technology, and far better than shown here. It could be fun to play on this, if the right search engine would find what you were looking for. I'd imagine p**n would go to a whole new level, as would sports, gaming, and posting threads on sites like this. Writing articles for other sites, and links, could be augmented with this tech, and youtube will have to adapt in a big way.
edit on 28-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm just waiting for this technology to come out in glasses. Imagine a fully interactive three dimensional display operating from inside a pair of reading glasses...you could turn a boring every-day routine into an action-packed adventure featuring a customizable team of trusty companions with which to survive the horrors of the suburban lifestyle.

Hey man, if you can imagine it...I mean, seriously. First planes, then cell phones, then computers, then touch screen, and now this? I don't ever want hear the phrase "it's impossible" again. And if I do, I will slap the idiot with this video. It's only impossible if you have an inactive imagination.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I hate it.

It's awkward, it's ugly, takes up lots of space. Don't invest in this, you will lose.

I would not use this.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I hate it.

It's awkward, it's ugly, takes up lots of space. Don't invest in this, you will lose.

I would not use this.

Well it's new tech. You expect it to be all magical the first time around? They're going to revise it and make it smaller and better. Heck, it may even consume a lot of power right now - if that's the case, that will lower as well.

new topics

top topics

join