It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Mountain Man Fights for Control of His Property "Turtle Island Preserve"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
History Channel’s North Carolina Mountain Man Fights Gov’t for Control of His Property

Mountain Man Eustace Conway .

www.theblaze.com...
edit on 27-2-2013 by Kituwa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Turtle Island is under attack by a system that is outdated to what Modern Americans really want,,
Eustace is a great guy, and I wrote about this a while back, and No one seems to care to much,, maybe your thread will get some attention to what is happening. I hope.

my Thread :Turtle Island Closed because of Building Codes

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

I hope so as well.

Thanks for the link and your thread.

edit on 27-2-2013 by Kituwa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Pretty damn sad and all too often we are seeing this sort of thing as a thread on ATS. Farmers who lived off there land thrown off cause of lack of proper elctricity or toilets. Government in every part of someones life mad they aren't collecting there piece of the pie monthly.

As Eustece says "The Land of the Free"

Hopefully he can win his right to continue.

SaneThinking

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The officials don't want the word to get out that we can, in fact, take care of ourselves.

I don't know if I could go to his extremes 100% of the time. I've done it for short times- camping trips alone with my dog for weeks on end...but this is a whole different animal than that!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

That's the way he chooses to live and should be left alone IMO.

He appears to do well without them, hurts no one and willing to teach others his way of life.

Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kituwa

My family and myself have a large swath of property in the interior of BC and one of our neighbors lives the same way really, has power but had hydro set up a water wheel of sorts for it ,otherwise just lives alone off the land. I know they would have to take him out in a body bag if they tried to change that on him. Our property has been set up the same in ways (solar, water wheel) gardens, creek, cabins built from logs on land, alot of self sustainability mainly for the month long camping trips but with an obvious aside as well

Makes me angry when we are told we have to be a certain way because its for our own good, becuase what we have been doing for eons is no longer the norm, or government accepted way of practice, grinds my gears to no end...

SaneThinking

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Quote from Eustace.

Americans have separated themselves from the natural world. During the past eighty years we have been 'advancing' so fast that we are as infants trying to run. We would be wise to slow down and learn more about primitive (first) values. Today more than ever we need to understand and live by harmony and balance with nature, for truly, man separate from nature is a fantasy.

-Eustace Conway

www.wildnesswithin.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

That sounds wonderful!

I'll bet it's a beautiful place.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kituwa

I'm very surprised that he can't be grandfathered in so to speak.
However why can't these guys find a compromise?

Maybe if he build some log cabins that were up to code he could still live naturally.
Maybe a few chiki huts as well?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kituwa

Truly is 70km's from ashphalt, only people out in the woods with us are like mined peace seekers, and each and everyone of us would fight tooth and nail the local governments if they told us that fishing, growing veggies, picking berrys, and building our own accoms on our land was not allowed.

I understand everything has a code but in Eustace case as he states he has had many inspections in the past and had no issue. With our land we were able to find many a loophole in dwelling requirements, to bypass some of the code regulations you would otherwise have to follow for a constant dwelling.

My biggest problem is we have become nations so hell bent on regulation that soon your summer cabin on a lake that consited of four walls and a window with a small porch is going to have to have flush toilets, electricty, a bat phone to call the gov in case a need arises for FEMA. Permits to plant a seed, and a litmus test before you eat a berry.

Seems to me that every portion of my life in there eyes needs to have some sort of rule for me to live bye. To me that is not free. Don't get me wrong I believe if you are doing something that would harm yourself or those around you then yes maybe you need to follow a rule or two. But to be a human being on the face of the earth, on the land you own, you should be able to at the very least, be allowed to live, live with in your means and ability, no more no less unless such you choose.

A pipe dream I know, but something I feel is lost on each and everyone of us caught up in the rat race, unable to really see that it can be much easier as long as we are willing to give up what now makes our life "easy"

SaneThinking

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

So very well said SaneThinking.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I had never heard about Eustace Conway until today.

Looked him up and he is a very interesting man to say the least.

I hope he will be able to keep all that belongs to him.

The Legend: Eustace Conway

In the serenity of the mountains, Eustace Conway found his place. Today, he welcomes others to his Turtle Island Preserve.

www.ourstate.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Started this as a young man. Cool!

:
edit on 27-2-2013 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I don't have time to watch, but this seems to pervade our society. I recently built, or rebuilt a little home which was forced to be destroyed by a currupt local twp. What you need to do is find a place without so many restrictions and then avoid anything to do with other groups like health district etc.

My solution was not to own the land, but to lease. Then build on skids so the little house is portable. No electricity, no plumbing. By being portable, no permits of any kind. No digging into soil for sewage using a free standing composting toilet. Water is carried in from the creek, 10' from my porch. Nothin of my home is connected in any way to the ground other than the skids. even the porch is cantilevered out from the skids, propane tank attached also. Electricity from solar and heat from wood stove. This has frustrated all the entities in the county, but we define the area as a camp site, mine being camp site number one.

Oh, did I mention this cannot be taxed as nothing is attached to the property and is portable.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sailormon

If I could give you 100 stars I would.....the planet needs another billion people like yourself.

The Man uses the system to fuc$ with you....learn the system and fuc$ them right back, love it.

Do you plan on gardening/permaculture?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The goerment hates and fears his man.
He is their antithesis and he illustrates that the countrys laws are is neither fair, nor just.
The hypocrisy of the goverment propaganda becomes obvious watching these persecutions take place all around america....
WACO is in a lot of peoples future if rhey fail to conform.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
When they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, this is what they mean.

bureaucracy and regulations are institutions straight out of hell, but because of the well meaning faces behind them, people pass and support them. They entirely miss the point of organic life. You live, yes, but you also die. When you take risks, you may suffer and perish - this is true. But without risk, you crush your opportunity for growth. If someone attempts to help a butterfly escape from it's cocoon, it will die. Humanity grows by facing challenges and overcoming them, not regulating themselves into a padded cell and submitting to a feeding tube.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

I call BS on what is happening to him after all these years of living like he has.
My theory is the gov. doesn't like the fact that he is showing people how to to live independently.
So they make excuses as to a reason to shut him down.
Of course the buildings aren't up to standards, that's the whole point of living off the land. Duh.....

Big Brother doesn't like people like him so they are going to make it rough on him.

Wonder if had he stayed under the radar and not done the TV thing if he would have been left alone?

edit on 28-2-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I don't know, but hope this lifestyle continues,, as this is the direction I am moving in my life towards. Actually not far from Eustace and know the difficulties of Codes and such that ruin the idea of living close to nature. Sad

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join