It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

well I moved to Texas, now what?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for the kind welcome and good advice, I am trying to talk these guys into going and finding one right now, I want a double double, it sounds sooooo gooood!

Damnit, I didnt stop and get my complementary truck nutz and yosamite sam mud flaps. I told her I should have stopped.

I am enjoying myself so far, hopefully I get this oil field job, it is a crappy work schedule, but the money is too good to turn down.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
You never said what part of Texas you landed in. If you're near Dallas, try Al's Atomic Pick-U-Part or any of dozens of pick-your-part locations. On the other hand LKQ picks 'em for you and supplies amny of the body shops and rebuild shops in the DFW area.

SO what part of Tejas you in pardner?

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Here's a clip of an email I received today, it's so true for the most part (we've had a lot of Californians move to Austin and they just don't get it, lol).

Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about folks from Texas:

If someone in a Lowe's store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Texas

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Texas

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Texas

If 'Vacation' means going anywhere south of Dallas for the weekend, you may live in Texas

If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Texas

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Texas

If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you may live in Texas

If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Texas

If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph, and you're going 80, and everybody's passing you, you may live in Texas

If you find 60 degrees 'a little chilly,' you may live in Texas

If you actually understand these jokes, and share them with all your Texas friends, you definitely live in Texas,

Welcome, and yes, Whataburger is better than In and Out Burger by far!

edit on 2/27/2013 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
Also , Texas, you are funny to me, I have never heard of "paddlin papers" before. My son had gotten into trouble his last week in indiana, his last day he suspended for starting a fight, and then replied to the principal "I dont care".

So his mother and I had to go and pick him up. So when we were refistering him for school, we signed the papers, and checked the yes you may paddle my son box. To which he replied, bless his little heart, " why would you check yes!!??".

Lol, so I told him the truth of it, "well if you were controlling yourself correctly, this woukdnt be necessary now woukd it?".

He has had a week of perfect school behavior so far, I guess the yes box has had the desired effect.

TEXAS, why didnt I come to you sooner?

Next he'll learn the rule of addressing females as "Miss" followed by their first name. Not so much in Houston or Austin anymore but over-all everywhere else.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Oh, lol oops. We moved to the witchita falls area, but arent going to be here for long, I just had some work here for now, I really moved all the way out here to get into a new sector of the economy, petroleum. Every one of my trades and skill sets is slowly becoming less than adequate for my families needs. So it is time to man up and start back over in somthing better.

Hopefully, if I get this job in the oilfields I will be moving to austin or houston area in about 6 months. I am pretty sure I will get a foot in the door though, I have a lot of industrial experience, and plan on having all the certs necessary done before I apply, thus giving me the bext opportunity for success.

The master plan is to get on platform in the gulf area within a few years, as thats where the money is.

The hours and schedule arent really that bad for me, I am single, and my kids are already used to dad being gone Lot. Also, this will seem kinda weird to some of you guys, but my exwife and I are roomates, so they are with mom when I am gone. Not really that weird to me, we been split up for almost 10 years, we both just agred, we do not make eachother happy, yet neither of us was willing to not have the kids sround all the time, so we comprimised a ccouple of years after we split, I do my thing, she does her thing, we both get to be present for their entire childhood, and my weird work schedules and resulting absensces are not an issue, as they are with mom when I am gone.

Now I just need to land this damned job, so I can start the 14 on 14 off. Where I actually plan to take a hitch at least once every other month, resulting in some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$. I have my oldest being college aged in 7 years and his brother is only 14 months behind him. My current pay at around 50k about half above and half below the table as it were, due to my skills at fixing cars, and doing some construction side work in my off time.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen
Welcome to Texas!

now please find nearest Whataburger and find out what you have been missing this whole time.

Been in Texas most of my life. Wataburger is the MOST overrated burger you'll find in Texas. Average at best and the fries are the worst. We like to refer to it as Watagarbage.

Dairy Queen is where you need to be looking.
edit on 28-2-2013 by usernameconspiracy because: DQ BLizzard, dude!

ETA: Wataburger does have a good chicken fajita taco and the breakfast burritos are great. The burgers are not bad, but they are far from deserving of the raves they get. Especially for the price. Find a small, non-name burger shack.
edit on 28-2-2013 by usernameconspiracy because: poo

<< 1   >>

join