It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Mission Planned For 2018 , Volunteers Wanted .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Former space tourist and billionaire Dennis Tito has revealed plans to send the first people to Mars using preexisting technology for a one-and-a-half-year mission in January 2018 .

If your half of a middle-aged couple then it could be you , one catch though ... its a there and back trip with no stop off

A team led by millionaire and former space tourist Dennis Tito plans to send a "tested couple" to Mars and back in a privately funded mission. The Inspiration Mars Foundation plans to start its one-and-a-half-year mission in January 2018. The foundation has carried out a study which it says shows that it is feasible to achieve such a mission using existing technology. The group still has to raise funding for their mission.

The mission will be a straightforward flight to the Red Planet and return without landing. This greatly reduces the cost of the mission. The Mars Inspiration team believe that it is technically possible to launch such a mission in five years' time.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Of course if the project ever gets of the ground there's a good chance that you'll be killed by radiation or mishap but hey what a way to go .
As it say's in the piece it takes mavericks like Tito to start the ball rolling , hopefully this one will gather momentum and support .

edit on 27-2-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I've actually thought about this ..before Tito brought it up. I'd volunteer. Without hesitation. He could make it a ONE way trip....and if it would be a one way with meaning and something accomplished to advance man into space, I'd take that too. We ALL die....and I can think of few more noble and meaningful ways to check-out than to do so trying to advance our overall species.

Of course..I do wonder with my belief system .. what would happen to my Soul if lost in deep space. Would it know where home was, as technology wouldn't? Would I just be a ghost in the darkness for eternity? Space is a BIG BIG empty place. Even a ghost could go eons without seeing much, I'll bet.

Still..... Hell yes, I'd go. Twice.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

If it was a one way mission to the surface then I agree , you would be immortal in that you were the first ...of course your dead but you could also get knocked over by a bus tomorrow ... I know which I'd prefer .

As for your soul , if it exists I think it would not exist in this realm but maybe a higher dimension so no need to worry about it finding its way home

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Is he insane????? What couple could possibly last that long on a spaceship and not kill each other...going to mars actually seems like the easier task...having a couple do it, I just don't know about that.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yes! ! To boldly go where no man has gone before! This was the first thing that popped into my head! ! . You can count me in for this ride! Beam me up scotty!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This is a GREAT idea and i'm going to be helping to promote it. Pay serious attention, guys. It's almost crazy enough to be attempted.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Glad to see your on board Jim

Do you think NASA will take any notice and maybe lend a hand , or is it just too crazy for them ?

edit on 27-2-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
This is a GREAT idea and i'm going to be helping to promote it. Pay serious attention, guys. It's almost crazy enough to be attempted.

Hey Jim I just checked out your website. Seems you have a few interesting. Books out there.
also you should do a thread about your trip to north Korea

Back on topic : still waiting to be beamed up for this Mars trip

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I volunteer... the powers that be

second line.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I do think this is awesome on many levels. Though I'm a bit aprehensive as all details are not out on the table. I hear it's a 501 day trip to circle Mars, no landing.... That being said... Wanna feel like a sardine in a can for 501 days??? I mean I get the adventurous nature to go into space and what have you.... But honestly if I could even afford it.... I might punch the man next to me for farting, speaking of not liking tight spaces what are they going to do for entertainment??? How big is this ship? Will it even get off the ground or will be have another Columbia?

Call me skeptic... Or clastrophobic.... This is how horror movies start. Just sayin

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by gortex

This sounds fantastic till the couple part, why only couple and not singles who dare to mingle with aliens.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I doubt it will ever fly, though I really hope it does, as it should answer the question of if stars can be seen from interplanetary space.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I can understand why they decided on a middle age couple

The plan was to choose a middle-aged couple because their health and fertility would be less affected by the radiation they would be exposed to during such a long space mission.

From another source.

"When you're out that far, and the Earth is a tiny, blue pinpoint, you're going to need someone you can hug," Tito told Space.com.

I can't find it but they did mention that not landing would cut costs on the mission.
All in all, I am very interested in this. I think it would be awesome to witness it. I imagine the couple will be very famous after this is all over.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GaryN
I doubt it will ever fly, though I really hope it does, as it should answer the question of if stars can be seen from interplanetary space.

Yeah I get the feeling that the 2018 date is a bit adventurous , if they get the funding I would imagine a round trip to the Moon would be more realistic .

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Is this even going to be possible if Mars is struck by a comet next year?

Surely if Mars was struck, there would be to much debris in orbit (only 4 years later) to risk a mission like this. I suspect it may have to be aborted!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
i nominate barack and moochelle,
and take bill and hillary with them...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I recall reading somewhere about the possibility of spacemen developing dementia due to exposure to radiation. Why a married couple? What makes then think this couple will not conjugate and possibly have a child during the trip, endangering everyone else.

I wouldn't mind going because chances are that I would deviate from the plan and actually land on Mars to determine for myself if anyone ever lived there.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation
I recall reading somewhere about the possibility of spacemen developing dementia due to exposure to radiation. Why a married couple? What makes then think this couple will not conjugate and possibly have a child during the trip, endangering everyone else.

I wouldn't mind going because chances are that I would deviate from the plan and actually land on Mars to determine for myself if anyone ever lived there.

Oh wow, space baby! First baby born on Mars. I'd name it Marvin. It'd be sweet if it landed, but I'd still like to throw my name in the hat. 5 years away, who knows if the couple will even be together anymore hahaha

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Was going to make a thread, but we already have two.
You are actually missing the point of this mission. First of all, the spacecraft "Dragon" will not even orbit the Red Planet so I can't even call this - a Mars mission.
Second - Every prepaid internet user will be provided with access of on-board video camera and TV commentators can purchase the right to communicate with the crew, so it's going to be a reality show.
I just hope they will install several camera's outside, so we can see alien spacecraft's.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join