It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Planted "Garbage" and So Can You!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It's a neat trick, and most people don't know you can do this. There are likely a lot more plants you can do this with. You need either some good part of a stalk or a leafy bit that's still alive. It needs to have a good amount of sap or living cells still producing chlorophyll. The trick to making this a lot easier is to use stuff called "rooting compound". It contains a plant hormone that triggers root growth. If you happen to know where there's a willow tree, one fairly safe way to make your own rooting compound is to mash the ends of willow branches with new growth into water and let it sit. Put the leaf or stalk material in that water, and you should have some roots growing that you can plant into soil.

Also its a cheesy and cheap way to get various houseplants. (My mom used to do this at a florist or garden section of a store, picking off a few leaves like she was pruning off the dying ones, but pocketing them instead of thowing them away. A bit uncouth and perhaps frowned upon if the florist knew what she was doing.) Pick off a viable piece of a leaf or such, and you can pretty much clone that plant.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
When you peel potatoes, plant the peels. Soak the potatoes for a half hour before peeling them to get rid of the antisprouting agent. They are a nice plant and can be transplanted outside in the spring, I haven't got potatoes off of them in the basement, just long vines. In the dining room they grew well and I transplanted them outside and the deer ate the plants within days in the spring

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

I have a steak garden. If I want to shoot the deer that keep eating my veggies.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Even my poor avacado...

Would you mind creating a thread on what in thee hell we're supposed to do with avacados? lol I have NO idea what to use them in or for. I don't even know which part to eat. How do they taste - sweet?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I had planted some seed potatoes in a large plastic tub that I
kept in our bedroom.The tub was in front of the window and got
a few hours of sun each day.I did end up with a quart of marble-
sized potatoes.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by winofiend

Even my poor avacado...

Would you mind creating a thread on what in thee hell we're supposed to do with avacados? lol I have NO idea what to use them in or for. I don't even know which part to eat. How do they taste - sweet?

Avacados are good for the economy. They tell people they are good for us but most people have do not properly digest the chemistry properly. It takes a few generations of use before people can properly digest new things. You can't just take the scientific nutritional value of something and say it will work for everyone. The cocunut is a little exception. The mysterica oil is understood by the body and we have been using coconut for at least three generations. That oil was in the ancient fishes and is high in caviar and whale. Many of our ancestors ate Roe and ancient fish species along with seals and whale meat. The Avocado is different and was not widely distributed and consumed over the previous decades. The people saying Avocado is good for us aren't taking everything into consideration. Many antioxidants actually cause immune system suppression if they are over consumed. A little guacamole isn't going to hurt anyone, in a few more generations of tasting guacamole we will all be able to eat avocado.

You can tell I don't care for the taste of avacados can't you
Actually the reason I researched both sides of the story on avacados is because I wanted to see the truth.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
An update on my indoor garden...The romaine and lettuce are several inches high.
The celery is a few inches high as well and the seeds that I planted from some peppers
are sprouting.I just noticed some sprouts this morning while I was watering everything.
When everything is grown,I might have enough for a small side salad.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join