It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Planted "Garbage" and So Can You!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
As my title states,I planted,what would be considered garbage.
I planted the ends of romaine lettuce and celery into clay pots.I used
miracle grow planting soil and just watered them.I planted the celery
3 days before the romaine lettuce.I already have a full inch of growth
from the celery! In 24 hours I have a slight feathering from the romaine.
I also planted some seeds from these mini bell peppers and I just have
to wait and see if I get any sprouts,if I do,I will let you know.

I have these pots sitting by my front door and they do get some light
through the day.I have my other plants right by these two.I don't know
how to get pictures on the computer so you can see them for yourselves.
But,I do recommend buying pots and soil and planting some "garbage" for
yourselves.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I did that with a pineapple bum.

And for almost 2 years it grew and grew and grew and grew and grew and I had to prune it, and it grew and grew.. then withered and died..

What a bugger... They take a long time to produce 1 fruit and I missed out.

You'll notice - at least I have - that it's hard to get a pineapple with a full bum on it. They cut them off right down, so .. as far as Im concerned.. you can't grow them.

And most seeded fruits etc, are sterile or produce very sour runts.

Even my poor avacoda seeds just turned into black balls as I tried to get them to start.

I'm just a killer of anything that grows in dirt. I noticed my cactus today, even looks like it's trying to run away from me.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Oh yeah, that's the way to do it!

Carrots, onions, leeks... Many different things can grow from leftovers.

I have a bunch of old wine barrels cut in half with soil inside, growing veggies right now.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

I think I will look inside my fridge for other things to plant,
I do find this interesting!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Yes pineapples are extremely hard to cultivate unless they are in the Caribbean were they grow naturally i seen a documentary and it said in the Edwardian time rich people used to pay up to 5000 in today's money which then would be a hell of a lot only the filthy rich could afford them

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I wish i had a garden so i could plant stuff but all i have is a balcony i supose i could fill it with plant pots but then pigions would come and sh!t all over them would rather not.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
When I buy little green onion bunches, I keep them in a glass of water in the fridge. They often start growing right there in the fridge

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I have done this and sometimes it works and others it is a epic fail.

Has anyone by chance got this to work with say a...steak???

Wishful thinking, I know.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I already have a stuffed fridge now.My husband is always buying new
sauces and marinades that have to be refrigerated after opening.I do
want to try the green onions though.
edit on 27-2-2013 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Good for you! I just did the same thing with some leeks and shallot ends the other day. One leek has already spouted!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
What i have been taught is that the GMO veggies from fridge/leftovers will not produce an abundance of fruit if any due to being treated with pesticides,insecticides,fungicides,and preservatives.Also if you get heirloom/ non GMO seeds these will produce fruit you can reap the seeds from.For the money a pack of seeds costs you can get several seasons worth. The whole GMO thing was enough for me to back away from.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Nice job MamaB. I started celery in a pie plate and they did awesome, too. Changed the water every couple days then when the new shoots got taller and more roots came out the bottom, planted them. Learn the difference in heirloom, hybrid, and gmo. Hybrid seed may sprout but will not always be like the plant it came from. Organic is a way of growing, not always meaning heirloom seed. I have spent the winter on seed trader groups on the social network site I'd like to stay away from, but most my family communicates there, so I put it to use in gardening and seed trading forums as well as canning and dehydrating groups. I turned pallets up on end and used landscape fabric to make pockets for lettuces and the green beans loved it last year as well. Get bucket from local restuarants and bakeries, raised tomatoes and peppers and cukes in those! Had enough to make canning pickles so much fun.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Yep its great when stuff like this happens. Last year i got potatoes plants from the tiniest slivers of skin.

I'd be wary of Miracle Gro though, tiz monsanto.

I had great growth for a while but then the plants I used miracle gro on had many more pests than those without, I also found many more plants died from disease or just gave up entirely after a while for reasons I could not discern Additionally the areas of soil it was used on seem less fertile now than those that had no plant food or had non monsanto brands.

For the sake of the planet people should vote with their wallets and NEVER knowingly buy Monsanto.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I tried the same thing two weeks ago with some organic celery and romaine lettuce. I simply placed the left over butt ends in the sunlight in a clear shallow dish with non-fluoridated, Big Berkey purified water. I changed the water every couple of days and yesterday I enjoyed a small salad with my first 'harvest' of the lettuce. The celery is just starting to show stalks now.

I expect to try additional types of vegetables now that I have had success with these two.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Thank-you,I had forgotten about that.I will have to look for better
quality potting soil.I have everything planted in pots and they are
all inside right now because of winter.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

I have done this and sometimes it works and others it is a epic fail.

Has anyone by chance got this to work with say a...steak???

Wishful thinking, I know.

Steak tree
I want one!

It does pose an interesting question. Would a vegan eat Tree Steaks? It would be a plant after all

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
I did that with a pineapple bum.

And for almost 2 years it grew and grew and grew and grew and grew and I had to prune it, and it grew and grew.. then withered and died..

What a bugger... They take a long time to produce 1 fruit and I missed out.

You'll notice - at least I have - that it's hard to get a pineapple with a full bum on it. They cut them off right down, so .. as far as Im concerned.. you can't grow them.

And most seeded fruits etc, are sterile or produce very sour runts.

Even my poor avacoda seeds just turned into black balls as I tried to get them to start.

I'm just a killer of anything that grows in dirt. I noticed my cactus today, even looks like it's trying to run away from me.

I think the pineapple harvesters cut the tops off of pineapples and let them fall to the ground, where they start rooting and grow to full fruit once more, I think that was showed in a movie called diamond head?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Very cool! Hey...plant a steak for me

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

How does a 'beefsteak' tomato sound to you?
It will take a little time to grow that one!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
You almost had me at BEEF steak...but then I finished reading your reply. Nah...Filet would be fine

However, if you must go non-red-meat, how about chucking some fish, rice and nori in there? I'll bring the chop sticks!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join