It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise of the Machines

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by andypb

Excellent sources, thanks

If AI ever gets its own consciousness, we're in trouble.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No problem, like i said, its a fascinating subject to me.
I think to really get true intelligent and thinking 'Terminator' type automation's, we would really need to develop Organic Processors.
There would be so many parameters to included into the design, things we take for granted like, balance over rough terrain, and recognizing human emotion from someones facial expressions.

The link below is a small article about Organic Processors.

www.informatik.uni-augsburg.de...

First steps towards adaptive and self-organizing computer systems are being already undertaken. Adaptivity, reconfigurability, emergence of new properties and self-organisation are topics in a variety of research projects. The aims of OC have become strategic goals of prominent IT companies like IBM, Sun, DaimlerChrysler or Siemens-Fujitsu

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Remember in the Terminator movies the name of the company that develops Sky-Net?

Well, theres a real company by the same name that is based in Japan (surprise, suprise), that has developed the following robotic suit -

HAL Robotic suit gets International Safety Certificate

This is how HAL works in a nutshell: Hop in, move an appendage slightly, and the suit detects the movement. After that, it guides your natural movement, but with robotic efficiency. So if you're a senior citizen that has trouble getting around, you can move your arm slightly and let HAL help you reach the top shelf. It's powered by a 22-pound battery attached to the waist, and the leg braces can help the wearer walk, and even climb stairs.

It's already been available for rent in Japan, where it's produced by the manufacturer Cyberdyne, and now it's the first nursing-care robot to be approved based on the draft version of an international standard for robot safety. (The draft is expected to be approved later this year.) That probably puts it at the consumer forefront of robot suits, even if we've seen some military-type inventions with a similar idea.

For now its for "limb assistance" but that use could give the system enough data to learn from and operate and function like a real human in the future without the "human" in the system.....giving us the "terminator" military application within our lifetimes.

At link below...one fan has built a fully metallic and functioning T800 endo-skeleton -

SKYNET's Terminators one step closer to reality

The tech is there, the funding could be there, we just need the intent!

If the public/private sector can develop what we have seen thus far, imagine what the military with its massive resources is playing with in secret at the momnent?

edit on 27/2/13 by Melbourne_Militia because: extra info added.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Great topic.
I wrote my own on a very similar premise.

The Real Rise of the Machines...,

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
S&F - the Big Dog is unreal. The exo-skeletons that they have now are getting impressive and light. I could use one for hiking!

There is a company called Cyberdyne? Geez!

And was just thinking the other day about Obama, drones, and the guy from Cyberdyne in the movie.

Things that make you go hmmmm...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Pentagon Producing Terminator Like Robots

The Department of Defense has awarded a lucrative contract to an engineering and robotics design company to develop and build humanoid robots that can act intelligently without supervision.

That pretty much says it all....theres a vid at the link above aswell.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This stuff is scary. I honestly didn't know these things were as advanced as they are.

In my philosophy class we are currently discussing the ability of machines to feel emotions and close they can become to humans.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightaudit

Looks like with time - we might come up with all kinds of stuff - for real :-)
With Robots, Humans Face 'New Society'

Humanity came one step closer in January to being able to replicate itself, thanks to the EU's approval of funding for the Human Brain Project. Danica Kragic, a robotics researcher and computer science professor at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, says that while the prospect of living among humanoid robots calls to mind terrifying scenarios from science fiction, the reality of how humans cope with advances in robotics will be more complex, and subtle.

Robots will challenge the way we feel about machines in general," Kragic says. "A completely different kind of society is on the way." The Human Brain Project will involve 87 universities in a simulation of the cells, chemistry and connectivity of the brain in a supercomputer, in order to understand the brain's architecture, organisation, functions and development. The project will include testing brain-enabled robots.

edit on 2/28/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Interesting thread Sky
Robot Ethics

Starting with an overview of the issues and relevant ethical theories, the topics flow naturally from the possibility of programming robot ethics to the ethical use of military robots in war to legal and policy questions, including liability and privacy concerns. The contributors then turn to human-robot emotional relationships, examining the ethical implications of robots as sexual partners, caregivers, and servants. Finally, they explore the possibility that robots, whether biological-computational hybrids or pure machines, should be given rights or moral consideration.

Introducing Robot Ethics

Already, fascinating moral questions are emerging. If a robot malfunctions and harms someone, who is responsible -- the robot's owner, its manufacturer, or the robot itself? Under what circumstances can robots be put in positions of authority, with human beings required to obey them? Is it ethically wrong for robots to prey upon our emotional sensitivities -- should they be required to remind us, explicitly or implicitly, that they are only machines? How safe do robots need to be before they're deployed in society at large? Should cyborgs -- human beings with robot parts -- have a special legal status if their parts malfunction and hurt someone? If a police robot uses its sensors to perform a surveillance operation, does that constitute a search? (And can the robot decide if there is probable cause?)

I love this stuff

I think exploring some of the philosophical/ethical/moral questions that will come with creating artificial life and artificial intelligence might force us to reexamine how we decide these things for the real humans

edit on 2/28/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Lol, you must be very bored. Let´s end this here.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Wait a second here. Are you actually believing in the Skynet scenario?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

The trend is definietely evident. Mabey to beat them we need to join them and make humans who have lost limbs in accidents rebuild them with bionics which makes them much stronger and faster. Then send them off to beat the crap out of machines.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Can I add a few ingredients to make the AI scenario even more terrifying. The other day I watched this movie about a researcher moving a rats tail simply by thought by using a nonintrusive device. This is all the beginning, it's not difficult to imagine in a century these devices will become more advanced, just like early computers had 1Mhz of computing power and 320×200 monitor resolutions brain implant and readers might become so sophisticated every atom in the brain could be read and written to, resolutions up to millions of pixels with yottahertz or quantumcomputers.

So if in a century AI is developed sufficiently to make it indistinguishable from normal humans or even more complex since adding a harddrive is easier than adding braincells to a human brain (point being an AI mind could become more complex than human minds), might it take over humans one day like humans take over control of the rats bodies? And from there maybe use humans for entering the afterlife, if such exist, or other supernatural existences humans have hinted at for centuries but never proven.

www.youtube.com...
www.livescience.com...
edit on 16/4/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join