It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise of the Machines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
All the things predicted in James Camerons Terminator movie series is actually coming true. Thus far machines have been serving us but there are ominous trends for concern. Take for example this robot dog that can run faster than any human...

Now combine that speed with the skill of this rough-terrain combat robot that stands up again after it slips, falls and is kicked...

And combine those qualities with superb jumping capabilities...

Now equip the robot to be able to independently use weapons...

And take it one step further to a world where there is an "online" robot can see through all cams, TVs, Computers, GPS, an advanced Live-version of GoogleStreetview and thus has an "all seeing eye" and...

...the Terminator is complete...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I've seen a snake robot that can move through 5" pipe and climb poles.

Good thing AI is still 20 years or so away.
But yeah hopefully someone comes up with some type of infallible control program. You would like to think that would be created before an AI is keyed up.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

they are still going to need a better power source than the one's we got now ,at the moment they wouldn't last long with battery's or won't be going far plugged into the wall

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Been telling people this for years ever since the origjnal Terminator movie came out.

Next generation of drones will be fully autonomous.

I read a recent article that very soon the next gen of drones will be able to distinguish friend from foe...now thats scary...that sort of processing power could teach itself that humans are a threat.

Picture this......

soldiers all get RFID chips.....they enter a war zone.....drones are sent in before hand.....scan the landscape and any human without an RFID signal gets taken out immediately with laser weaponary. Troops basically walk through and take out the hiding enemy that didnt get killed.

The theory of Full Spectrum Dominance is great in theory, but thehardware being put in place to achieve this "in my opinion" is just setting the stage for humanitys eventual incarceration to the machines.

Who's to say that there arent production lines already churning out these autonomous drones already, to be put in storage and brought out when needed?

Small reactors on board allow them to fly for months without refuelling, laser weaponary dpesnt run out as long as theres a power source.

Damn scary proposition.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I found this one a bit unnerving, it seems to stick out its arm for balance

Though i think its probably 100 years away before we get a true 'terminator',
Its still a bit scary to think of.
But if DARPA are allowing this to be shown, who knows what their working on behind the scenes.

snf.
edit on 27/2/2013 by andypb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I am not sure if this thread is meant to be taken all too serious, but let us assume that it is.

There is a huge gap between the mechanical abilities you speak of and consciousness developing on it´s own within a.i., without the programmers intent. Creating consciousness with the programmers intent is still far far away from being possible, if ever. I am sure that we can mimic a being that seems to be conscious in the not too far future though.

I am sure that this gap has not to be pointed out further, but usually people who talk of these things have never looked into the details of programming and how artificial intelligence actually works. If you would get to know systems like cleverbot and how they work then you would be quite a bit less frightened and hopefully more amazed about the technical achievements and the work involved.

I have seen a lot of good posts from op, so I will have to assume that he wasn´t being too serious. If I´m wrong though, I would love to discuss this further.

edit on 27-2-2013 by Nightaudit because: spelling

edit on 27-2-2013 by Nightaudit because: spelling again

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

I'm taking this thread as a joke... here is the man that will design their faces!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Been telling people this for years ever since the origjnal Terminator movie came out.

Next generation of drones will be fully autonomous.

Damn scary proposition.

Well, do you know how autonomous vehicles work, and at least a bit about the software involved? I am sorry, but saying autonomous drones that we use today will become conscious is based on vague theories without any hard facts at best.

And sure you could maybe bring the internet into play, and the immense number of computers and servers and god knows what they could all do together.

Well again, if you know a bit about networks and ip-protocols and how they actually work, then you will have to come to the conclusion that there is no ground in reality for the consciousness theory. At least not where we are now.

I am sure that a.i. will produce results that can mimic a real person quite well. And that is not too far in the future and will make a lot of sense in various applications.

But that is still far away from being a conscious being. In fact I think it is a touch arrogant to assume that it is that "easy" to create consciousness.

Well, we will see what happens anyway. Technological development is inevitable.

edit on 27-2-2013 by Nightaudit because: spelling

edit on 27-2-2013 by Nightaudit because: spelling again

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

they are still going to need a better power source than the one's we got now ,at the moment they wouldn't last long with battery's or won't be going far plugged into the wall

This is exactly why I hope that "free energy" never comes to fruition in my life time.

That takes the game to a whole new level.

I believe it will happen at some point.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Sure, let´s block that life saving technology for as long as we can so we don´t get terminators running all around and stealing all the harleys.

IF there is free energy to be had, or at least vast amounts of very cheap energy, then it should be here ASAP.

Energy means water pumps, energy means transport, energy means food. Free energy means you can effing farm the sahara if you wish to do so.

Think about what you say here.

Not that I think free energy is around the corner though. I would hope to see some breakthrough technologies that could help lower the prices again.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nightaudit

There is a huge gap between the mechanical abilities you speak of and consciousness developing on it´s own within a.i., without the programmers intent.

Then lets hope that the programmers intent is benign.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by andypb
I found this one a bit unnerving

Anything that can be done, will be done...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I'm taking this thread as a joke...

Its not intended as a joke. Rather as a very early warning.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nightaudit

Think about what you say here.

I do.

Please do the same.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Picture this......
soldiers all get RFID chips.....they enter a war zone.....drones are sent in before hand.....scan the landscape and any human without an RFID signal gets taken out immediately with laser weaponary. Troops basically walk through and take out the hiding enemy that didnt get killed.

Yes.

Having technology and robots do the dirty/dangerous work is, unfortunately, the future.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
When we go to war now, we demand less and les of our combat troops die. Just compare modern wars with those like ww1 and ww2. Now in effect we don't have to lose any of our brave troops, because the drones and robots will fight our wars ans do all the killing.

These robotics will also have civilian use, for those with prosthetic limbs etc, which will be a good side of this type of technology. Where it ends? If we had any sense as a civilisation we would put these technologies to good use, but I fear they will mostly be used for making killing the enemy easier and cleaner on our consciousness,

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by darknewt

I guess their first mission would be to occupy power stations.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I found this an interesting article from the Guardian, its from 2011, but it does show that the MOD are thinking of these things.

The report warns of the dangers of an "incremental and involuntary journey towards a Terminator-like reality", referring to James Cameron's 1984 movie, in which humans are hunted by robotic killing machines. It says the pace of technological development is accelerating at such a rate that Britain must quickly establish a policy on what will constitute "acceptable machine behaviour".

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 27/2/2013 by andypb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Attach me to the arm the robot was attached to and I could do 28mph

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The CSER project has been co-founded by Cambridge philosophy professor Huw Price, cosmology and astrophysics professor Martin Rees and Skype co-founder Jaan Tallinn. "It seems a reasonable prediction that some time in this or the next century intelligence will escape from the constraints of biology," Prof Price told the AFP news agency.

Cambridge researchers are to assess whether technology could end up destroying human civilisation. The Centre for the Study of Existential Risk (CSER) will study dangers posed by biotechnology, artificial life, nanotechnology and climate change. The scientists said that to dismiss concerns of a potential robot uprising would be "dangerous".

www.bbc.co.uk...

I find this a fascinating subject, one i really never thought about.
But i do love the films

top topics

<<   2 >>

join