It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else remember anything from before they were born?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Text What I'm willing to bet is that soon enough, people will bet all those things, real things, their very life and whatever they love, on the existence of these fanciful ideas.

Ideas? How is a direct experience of something, an idea? I think we'd both agree that an experience of something, is not the same as an idea of something.

The thing is, you are a betting man, and you've made that bet.

Im not a betting man. I'd rather know by first hand experience, then to speculate in theories.

I was once an atheist and biggest skeptical materialist. What got me was Buddha's offer to test his premises for yourself to see if they are true. Your own experience and consciousness being the laboratory, I did find myself to be soul. Same testing can be applied to most paths. I understand you also have had various experiences from various paths. However, one can merely scratch the surface or even entirely miss the goal when it comes to these things. I understand why you believe non of this to be true because I was there once too and laughed at people who thought this way. But now, because of experiencing these things, please understand that it is now impossible to take any other view, especially yours.

It pains me to see people place all their value on fleeting inexpressible thoughts instead of their very being, unjustly calling their body, their material, their experiences, their lives insignificant, passing off their existence as meaningless, life trapped in a shell, a prison we should escape from, in favour of what amounts to imaginative fantasy

Your missing the point. Life is relative. Beautiful when you have a job, $, wife, house, car, food, etc. Its hell when you have chronic disease that keeps your whole body in pain, can't afford food, living in a war zone, parents dead of aids, and your only 12!!!!!.

When I was Atheist/Skeptic, life was meaningless, random, morals/ethics made up, everything pointless, watching what everyone else is doing and following. Drinking, womanizer, fights, crime, theft, drugs, arrests, ego, center of the universe etc.....cause who cares!!!!!!

After realizing I am a soul in a body then came timelessness, bliss, peace, transcendence, meaning, selflessness, helping others, love, seeing things as they are and removing all subjective bias. You'll see one day when your own vessel passes away.

—I only see the value this sort of 'spirituality' takes away from life itself.

Spirituality has improved my life tremendously. Its like having 1 foot in this material world, and another in the spiritual.

Text Nontheless, whether this is true or not, your argument for non-local consciousness still amounts to this:

Half dog/cat fire breather is unreal. Non-Local consciousness is real.

U missed my point. There is no one claiming to have experienced dog cat fire breather. On the other hand, polls show a surprising number of people having spiritual experiences, nde's, obe's, etc.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

When I was Atheist/Skeptic, life was meaningless, random, morals/ethics made up, everything pointless, watching what everyone else is doing and following. Drinking, womanizer, fights, crime, theft, drugs, arrests, ego, center of the universe etc.....cause who cares!!!!!!

After realizing I am a soul in a body then came timelessness, bliss, peace, transcendence, meaning, selflessness, helping others, love, seeing things as they are and removing all subjective bias. You'll see one day when your own vessel passes away.

Logic would dictate the opposite is true.

Where someone believes there's some life or existence after this, they have any excuse they desire to act badly doing horrible things because, there's always another life, or they can be forgiven and go to heaven, or some other imaginary fantasy.
One can treat life like trash, like a bag full of nearly worthless pennies if there's an abundant eternal supply of it.

If, on the other hand this life is the only life, as a matter of economics, that rarity makes life ever so much more precious, beautiful, fleeting, and wonderful to be enjoyed, desired, and explored to its fullest.

Treating life as the one single only rare chance of living gives it value, especially so if you only have one.

Looking at life like you've got any countless number of chances to experience it in any number of differing incarnations decreases its value because, if you don't like this one, you can always just have another one, and if you treat other people badly, it's no worry because they always have a chance to have a better life in some other life.

Look at it from a point of economy and the more rare life is, the more precious it is.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Or you can go to the other extreme and think that humanity and all life on earth is just an accident
nothing matters. Why not murder, cheat and steal your way out if everything is just an accident of probability?
Economics teaches us that rarity is what gives value to objects, but that is just a narrow interpretation
that only works in the world of economics were money is involved

I have yet to read about a single person that after learning about the continuation of life he/she felt like this life was meaningless
In fact it's the contrary, most people report a feeling of calmness and joy to carry on their lives

Also there is the notion of Karma
if you don't believe on the afterlife then it doesn't mater what you do on this live

edit on 28-2-2013 by quietlearner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Logic would dictate the opposite is true. Where someone believes there's some life or existence after this, they have any excuse they desire to act badly doing horrible things because, there's always another life, or they can be forgiven and go to heaven, or some other imaginary fantasy.
One can treat life like trash, like a bag full of nearly worthless pennies if there's an abundant eternal supply of it.

thats all relative. On many Spiritual paths which fruitfully produce spiritual and mystical experiences (which have nothing to do with "imaginary fantasy") .....life becomes a precious gem, united, unbound by the material aspects that almost everyone takes it to be.

If, on the other hand this life is the only life, as a matter of economics, that rarity makes life ever so much more precious, beautiful, fleeting, and wonderful to be enjoyed, desired, and explored to its fullest.

That's relative. I know people who were molested as kids, are now hooked on drugs, full of psychological and physical issues due to the molestations. This life is now hell for them and they don't understand the meaning of " precious, beautiful, fleeting, and wonderful to be enjoyed, desired, and explored to its fullest. "
It's relative.

Treating life as the one single only rare chance of living gives it value, especially so if you only have one.

Relative again. Many "believe" as you do and don't value it. Maybe even most

Looking at life like you've got any countless number of chances to experience it in any number of differing incarnations decreases its value because, if you don't like this one, you can always just have another one, and if you treat other people badly, it's no worry because they always have a chance to have a better life in some other life.

Again relative. Whether it's only this life, or various, will not change the way I am to myself and others.

However, whichever way it is, it is that way regardless. My claim, which I will shout from the rooftops til the day I die, is that we all pre-existed, and will return where we came from when the body dies, cause I've seen it wit my own eyes. I've gotten a sneak peak so to speak. I can only try my best and am not perfect.

Look at it from a point of economy and the more rare life is, the more precious it is.

If Life is precious, then it's precious whether we have 1 life here, or countless. "Value", based on circumstance is a fantasy of the mind. IF something has value universally, then the value is there regardless of whether there i more or less.

Personally, I'm done wit this place and wish to never come back. You'll see for yourself when your shell passes away. It goes by really REALLY fast!!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Originally posted by dominicus

Logic would dictate the opposite is true.

Where someone believes there's some life or existence after this, they have any excuse they desire to act badly doing horrible things because, there's always another life, or they can be forgiven and go to heaven, or some other imaginary fantasy.

TextIf, on the other hand this life is the only life, as a matter of economics, that rarity makes life ever so much more precious, beautiful, fleeting, and wonderful to be enjoyed, desired, and explored to its fullest.

your approach, as spock would say with one raised eyebrow, is illogical.

they would only act badly if that was their personality trait and/or their inner being/soul had too many layers of ignorance over it.
only if one had a bad attitude. life is never born and never dies.
actually, if one is conscious of eternal life and aware of its omnipresence, one feels very blissful and beyond desires whose very nature is insatiable.

if you identify with the mind/body complex you will hunger for many many different experiences, none of which will satisfy for long. and if your body wears out it will die and you'll still have all those desires to fulfil, so you'll take another body; and so on and so on. it does not decrease the value of life but will open you up to the infinite variety of life. that attitude can be wondrous, or you can squander it and abuse others. the individual decides.
eventually, nothing external will be of any value to you and you'll turn within to the soul/heart which is patiently waiting for all the noise/clutter/distraction to stop. personality can be a real nuisance, asserting this, denying that. when identification ceases with it, contentment and real peace follow.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

maybe the abused child was once the abusive parent.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Sometimes I have a feeling I knew Lenin personaly... Maybe I dreamed that? And some other guys... I am not lying that...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You have memories of being in the womb. Awesome, Youre very unique in this.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

aww bless lol.. you saved yourself. Its amazing what babies/toddlers can do . They have this inbuilt survival system.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Hey WantSome... This is my first post every. I normally just review topics but your post compelled me to create an account. I too have always had a memory about a life before birth. Its a faint memory almost like a dream however, i specifically remember having a choice to come into this world. I have never brought this up to anyone because i knew i would not be able to convey how it felt in words. I remember having a choice along with a few options as to who i would be in this world. I remember each option having both advantages and disadvantages in this world. I cant remember the previous life however i have a feeling that i was energy based and my choice was to come into the physical world. Again i cant explain in further detail as i do not remember much. Anyways I feel where you are coming from and your not alone.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Ahhh, I knew there was a reason for me to be on this page today.
Long answer short, yes, they say "yes, I want to go". For many different reasons. You're just looking one side of the story here. The spirits born under the conditions you mentioned CHOOSE to do so because they need to evolve and sometimes suffer to correct what they've done in their past lives. This is popularly known as karma. And this is just a brief experience in the spirit's eye. It goes by really fast like the blink of an eye. Once you're past duality, the essence is all there is left.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roger Dat

Ahhh, I knew there was a reason for me to be on this page today.
Long answer short, yes, they say "yes, I want to go". For many different reasons. You're just looking one side of the story here. The spirits born under the conditions you mentioned CHOOSE to do so because they need to evolve and sometimes suffer to correct what they've done in their past lives. This is popularly known as karma. And this is just a brief experience in the spirit's eye. It goes by really fast like the blink of an eye. Once you're past duality, the essence is all there is left.

If they "need" that experience are you suggesting we should leave suffering people to suffer more?
would it not be counter productive and not fair if we help others?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by orangutang

reply to post by Roger Dat

Uh-huh.
So, do you guys get McFries and McShakes with these McDrive-Thru McHappy Meal toy surprise inside belief systems?

If you're going to go that route in acting all "Namaste fellow traveler" why go the cheap bargain bin pseudo-new-age recycled crystal power route of being all so amazed at how amazing you like to think you are?

Are you people too cheap to go to the root origin with full on Hinduism?
Hinduism traces back some 8000 years.
It's the oldest living religion on the planet.
Have you ever stopped to consider how and why Hinduism has been around before, during and after all the major religions come and gone?

Or you're happier with picking and choosing because you can't be bothered with any actual real commitment to something that requires more effort than running around saying "Namaste" while regurgitating new age garbage stolen from Hinduism and pretending the wisdom of the universe is at your fingertips?

Little you realize how transparent, shallow, deluded and completely lost some of you are.

edit on 2-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Uh-huh. So, do you guys get McFries and McShakes with these McDrive-Thru McHappy Meal toy surprise inside belief systems?

Your so funny. No matter how many times I tell you about people directly experiencing spiritual realities prior to or devoid of any "beliefs", you still stoop down to these weak arguments. Your very own belief system, is that other people's belief systems are a joke!!!! Ha!!!!!! How ironic.

If you're going to go that route in acting all "Namaste fellow traveler" why go the cheap bargain bin pseudo-new-age recycled crystal power route of being all so amazed at how amazing you like to 7 think you are?

Not any more amazing than you are. I'd actually and probably consider you and many others much more amazing than myself. Im nothing and no one special. I just happen to directly know and experience that none of us are from earth, and we don't stay here long.

Are you people too cheap to go the the root origin with full on Hinduism? Hinduism traces back some 8000 years. It's the oldest living religion on the planet. Have you ever stopped to consider how and why Hinduism has been around before, during and after all the major religions come and gone?

Cheap? What is there 2 buy? Hinduism, 1 of many systems of spiritual science, is awesome and also foretells of the pre-existence of the soul. Thanks for bringing it up. Right on the money

Or you're happier with picking and choosing because you can't be bothered with any actual real commitment to something that requires more effort than running around saying "Namaste" while regurgitating new age garbage stolen from Hinduism and pretending the wisdom of the universe is at your fingertips?

Little you realize how transparent, shallow, deluded and completely lost some of you are.

Ha!!!! Your own statements reveal so much bitterness, hatred, bigotry, and ignorance. Its a sad shame. Luckily I still love you because i know the real you behind that bitter ego mask, and rest well comforted knowing that as fast as life here goes by, when your own physical vessel passes away, death the great equalizer will reveal we were right all along.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

The shells have outnumbered the light beings for quite some time...

Soulless cretins are everywhere nowadays...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
reply to post by k1k1to

The shells have outnumbered the light beings for quite some time...

Soulless cretins are everywhere nowadays...

it was always supposed to be balanced, however you are right. in fact the rate of the human species population growth has become almost uncontrollable, almost like a virus, just spreading. soon they will bring forth their own destruction.

its incredible how selfish a species can be to not sit down and contemplate their own existence, how mind bogging it is that we are allowed to witness such majesty, they are to busy with their smart phones and social sites, with their partying and drinking, and of course their reproducing.

but i cant blame them, can you blame the male bears for killing their own offspring?...it is in their nature. failure, chaos, despair, pain and suffering... is written in their DNA

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I've never told anyone this other than my wife over the last 4 years. When I was 18, I was driving down the road on a summer evening and all of a sudden I noticed this smell in the air. It was washing machine water and sink water(no toilet water for gods sakes) running in a ditch, and it was soggy there like a swamp and there is this smell associated with it---the detergent and whatnot that stays in the soil.

Upon smelling this, the memories came rushing back hard. I remembered being very small, like 2-3 years old, and falling into a creek in the backyard and drowning. That smell and taste, I can never forget it. I remember this woman and man being devastated, screaming and crying. I remember the little white house. But that smell gets me everytime. I kind of remembered it when I was really young but didn't really understand why I knew this happened to me, not until I smelled that smell that day. Very strange. I never really tried to find stories of little kids drowning in a backyard creek. It would've had to been before sept. 1971. One of the strangest things in my life other than a couple other incidents.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fylgje
I've never told anyone this other than my wife over the last 4 years. When I was 18, I was driving down the road on a summer evening and all of a sudden I noticed this smell in the air. It was washing machine water and sink water(no toilet water for gods sakes) running in a ditch, and it was soggy there like a swamp and there is this smell associated with it---the detergent and whatnot that stays in the soil.

Upon smelling this, the memories came rushing back hard. I remembered being very small, like 2-3 years old, and falling into a creek in the backyard and drowning. That smell and taste, I can never forget it. I remember this woman and man being devastated, screaming and crying. I remember the little white house. But that smell gets me everytime. I kind of remembered it when I was really young but didn't really understand why I knew this happened to me, not until I smelled that smell that day. Very strange. I never really tried to find stories of little kids drowning in a backyard creek. It would've had to been before sept. 1971. One of the strangest things in my life other than a couple other incidents.

welcome to the club. I remembered a past life. Though to track down when and where would be rough cause it could have been literally anywhere and within the time frames of between the beginning of washing machines and sinks, up until 1971.

It's more and more people the come out of the wood works and admit remembering these things. We hide these things, because the status quo ends up in an uproar, like druscilla a few posts above. Thankfully this thread is filled mostly with people who remember

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
What happened to the OP of this thread? Did he like just make that original post and leave us???

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
What happened to the OP of this thread? Did he like just make that original post and leave us???

Yea, it happens. We can carry the torch though just fine!!!

Cheers friend

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join