It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive ring around the moon (pretty cool pic)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I was driving home tonight from a basketball game when about 9:15 pm I noticed a massive ring around the moon, shining through a thin layer of clouds. This was in northern Wisconsin, Polk County. I was driving south on a back country road so I stopped on the road and leaned out my driver's side window to snap this pic facing east. Where I am is a couple hours north of all the snow and rain weather across most of the country tonight. I know the folklore says that a ring around the moon signals bad weather on the way, but in this case we're forecasted to stay nice all week (just above freezing temps). But, like I said, the bad weather is just south of us.

In this pic, the ring appeared much brighter when I looked at through my camera review. After I downloaded, it's a little harder to see, but you can see it there.

What causes a moon ring?

The ring around the Moon is caused by the refraction of Moonlight (which of course is reflected sunlight) from ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. The shape of the ice crystals results in a focusing of the light into a ring. Since the ice crystals typically have the same shape, namely a hexagonal shape, the Moon ring is almost always the same size. Less typical are the halos that may be produced by different angles in the crystals. They can create halos with an angle of 46 degrees.

Source

In the definition above it says that they are usually the same, but I've seen these many times but I thought this one was a little big. You can see the field and trees in the far background at the bottom of pic, just to give you an idea how big the ring was.

Pretty cool anyways so I thought I'd share.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
That's pretty awesome, Rez! I've seen a lot that big down here in FL, but I'm still figuring out how to take night shots, and I've screwed every one of them up so far. Yours is exactly what I've tried & failed to capture. Translation: Nyiah's jealous

I tried to take one earlier tonight of the moon because it had a very subtle, but noticeable green hue around it. We're just a few hours past all the cold front rain, so I'm sure it had to do with the post-front atmosphere. It was pretty cool.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The moon has been absolutely spectacular, the last few nights...during it's full moon stage. The view that i have from my bedroom balcony is heavenly. And, when i woke up this morning, the moon was setting over the pacific ocean, just as bright as can be. I usually take pics...but my digital camera broke.
Nice shot!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
That's pretty awesome, Rez! I've seen a lot that big down here in FL, but I'm still figuring out how to take night shots, and I've screwed every one of them up so far. Yours is exactly what I've tried & failed to capture. Translation: Nyiah's jealous

I tried to take one earlier tonight of the moon because it had a very subtle, but noticeable green hue around it. We're just a few hours past all the cold front rain, so I'm sure it had to do with the post-front atmosphere. It was pretty cool.

Honestly, I was a little surprised I got the shot. I usually have a hard time getting night shots to. I'm using a Canon Rebel T3i. I just turned the flash off and it worked out (this time).

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The very first time I ever saw a ring around the moon was only about three years ago and at that point I had no idea it could happen, so needless to say I was flabergasted! lol
Great pic OP!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Wow that is stunning! And I'm diggin' the non-city landscape

And I had no idea that was caused by ice crystals. Learn something new every day on here
edit on 26-2-2013 by RooskiZombi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Nice shot!

My Grandmother would say, 'that means it's going to rain'.......the bigger the ring, the more time till the rain comes.

Not sure how accurate the part about the size of the ring and the timing of the rain...and it is usually rain for us, I'm in N Ga.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

On my birthday too. That makes me happy.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
2 days ago the moon was full and somehow it's color was yellow, I've never seen it so big and beautiful and me and my brother were enjoying the view all the way to the gym. I was quite amazed at how beautiful and mysterious it looked. Even though I've lived in the same place for 12 years this time it was more beautiful than ever.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
Nice shot!

My Grandmother would say, 'that means it's going to rain'.......the bigger the ring, the more time till the rain comes.

Not sure how accurate the part about the size of the ring and the timing of the rain...and it is usually rain for us, I'm in N Ga.

I know that we're not going to get any rain or snow here all week. It's forecasted for Monday which is five days out, so maybe it's true...the bigger the ring the farther out till the weather arrives. But, these "ice crystals" are probably pushed up north here from the big blizzard across the Midwest.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I saw that myself a few days ago ! ...I even took a picture of it as it was so diferent from usual

Will post it asap

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
Nice shot!

That is accurate. I don't remember the exact explaination, but It has something to do with the amount of water in the upper atmosphere.

top topics

join