It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another shooting. This time at Coastal Carolina University in SC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Coastal Carolina University officials confirmed that they have told students to stay where they are and that a person was hurt during a shooting near campus Tuesday evening.

The first reports of a shooting appeared on social media around 7:30 pm.

Source Article

The shooter is still at large. I wonder what his motivation will be revealed to be.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Sounds like a 'personal cause' assault, where the perp(s) attacks the victim(s) for a specific reason. As opposed to a 'random-rage' shooting where the perp tries to shoot everybody because he hates humanity.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

I guess we'll see what more develops

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There was one today in Santa Cruz, CA too. He killed 3 cops before they killed him. They're still looking for some other people that were involved.
edit on 26-2-2013 by GreenGlassDoor because: Me speak good engrish!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
wow you mean someone killed someone else today?

Well there goes the neighborhood.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Is there a link to it or a thread about it on ATS

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LazarusTsiyr

I don't think so. Still waiting to see what shakes out of it.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Hey, Green, here's a news article about the Santa Cruz shooting.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Concerning the Santa Cruz shooting.

It appears that the perp still on the loose is the same peeping tom arrested for assault here: portlandtribune.net...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LazarusTsiyr

Suspect at large

That's comforting. I wonder what the stats are on the increased shootings today in comparison to a few years back .. I mean, really, has the water been contaminated? It feels like a shooting pandemic spreading

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

The only thing that has changed is the reporting. What was once a local news issue, now makes CNN. Granted, shootings at school campuses, like the CCU shooting, would have garnered a short segment on the networks. However, the Santa Cruz shooting never would have. (Correction - this would have always been a local news issue - one on one crime at student apartments - this didn't happen on campus.)

You would think we are living in the most violent times in this nation's history if you are a big fan of the network news organizations, however the numbers paint a much different picture. Violent crime is down 15.5% from 2007 alone. It has been in a steady decline since the early/mid 90's. Now, according to the FBI, preliminary reports of violent crime rose (1.9%) for the first time last year (Jan-Jun). Those are the most recent numbers, as preliminary July-Dec '12 or final '12 numbers aren't out yet, so anyone claiming otherwise is talking out of their backside.

I know there are some, especially our government and the media, that will fully disagree with those statements. After all why would the gov and media be making such a big deal about, if it weren't the case . . .

Feel free to check the numbers for yourself . . . straight from the FBI.
FBI Crime statistics
Comparitive Stats for the last 4 years - FBI

You'll see that even though violent crime seems to have rose the first half of 2012, murders/homicides were actually falling still.

So why the media push to glorify every shooting . . . ? Why the fear mongering?

(This paticular case involves one shooter and one victim . . . Yet from the title of the OP, "Yet another" and the fact that we are discussing what his motives are or even making a correlation to the Santa Cruz shooting, you would think we are talking about an epidemic. Not so, the Santa Cruz shooting was a direct result of LEO doing their job in trying to apprehend a criminal . . . he shot the officers. The CCU shooting looks to be the typical disagreement type (whether do to greed, jealousy, drunkeness, etc.), as most every one-on-one shootings are.)
edit on 2/27/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I am bored and tired of hearing about all these shooting. Maybe, wonder if that was the plan?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

Hmmmm. Maybe. Interesting point!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
Sounds like a 'personal cause' assault, where the perp(s) attacks the victim(s) for a specific reason. As opposed to a 'random-rage' shooting where the perp tries to shoot everybody because he hates humanity.

Could be a drug deal gone bad, over a girl, something not so random as columbine or aurora, Gabby Gibbs.. It is nothing of major concern, this situation is MUCH different then a massacre at random. Acting like *oh another shooting again in america take the guns take the guns" rhetoric is getting a little tiring.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
One of my good friends goes there, went to go visit him about 2 years back and ended up going to the stripclub with Tyler Thigpen and bought us drinks.

He had a couple tweets about it also today, he still goes there.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

I lived near Coastal Carolina for a while, it's up in Myrtle Beach. Seriously...it's the biggest joke of a school, it's all parties and slackers, they might as well be at a tech. This kid probably got shot over a drunken fight, a girl, or drugs. It's not a "school shooting"...it's a case of one guy getting shot while at a dorm two miles from the school.

No disrespect, OP. I didn't post this response to sound snarky, I just know Coastal Carolina and the types that go there and hang around there so I figured I'd throw my two cents in.

top topics

join