It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Personnel Urged Not To Wear Uniforms In Public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Military personnel in UK is urged not to wear uniform in public. "Especially in the vicinity of home or while travelling on public transport". The newspaper Sunday Telegraph said a leaked report with a section titled "Terrorist Targeting of Military Bases" was distributed to garrisons across the UK.

From Reuters: Military "warned of terror threat"

Intelligence services have warned military personnel to be on heightened guard against possible terrorist attacks, the Sunday Telegraph reported.

The paper said a leaked September 2004 report, one section of which was titled "Terrorist Targeting of Military Bases", was distributed to garrisons across the country.

The report said there was a "real" threat to servicemen and advised them not to wear uniform in public "especially in the vicinity of home or while travelling on public transport," the Telegraph said.

Click on the link for the full article...

There is apparently a known treat against military servicemen. The treat is "more pertinent in London". UK is considered as a top target for terrorgroups like Al Qaeda because of their support for the "War On Terror" and the invasion of Iraq.

ATSNN: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2004/10/31 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
yeah even recruits going down are told not to advertise the fact the are going to the RN/ARMY/RAF/RM.
its incase some terrorist decides to do something.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It's a good point, except I've noticed that most terrorists don't really care about whether or not their target is military or not. Terrorists these days prefer to target what gets them the most attention, this ususally means lot's of civilians. So sad that warfare is without morals these days.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Military personnel in UK is urged not to wear uniform in public. "Especially in the vicinity of home or while travelling on public transport".

From Reuters: Military "warned of terror threat"

Intelligence services have warned military personnel to be on heightened guard against possible terrorist attacks, the Sunday Telegraph reported.

The paper said a leaked September 2004 report, one section of which was titled "Terrorist Targeting of Military Bases", was distributed to garrisons across the country.

The report said there was a "real" threat to servicemen and advised them not to wear uniform in public "especially in the vicinity of home or while travelling on public transport," the Telegraph said.

Click on the link for the full article...

There is apparently a known treat against military servicemen. The treat is "more pertinent in London".

Not wearing the uniforms wont change the fact that a bunch of people who dont belong as natives in Iraq will stick out. Lets not forget also they tend to be flambouyant in their nature acting gungho is bread into them even in the US you can put 10 people in underwear in front of me with only 2 being military personel and I can pick out atleast one and I would assume the other wont be far from the first so to take out the military threat with 80% accuracy, I would take out the first 5 people I would bet I get both.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Hi drbryankkruta

The link refers to soldiers wearing uniform in public in the UK. I accept the fact that we stand out as foreigners whilst in Iraq, but the gung ho remark is to me the wrong thing to say. The soldiers are trained both physically & mentally. They have to be able to act immediately. The temperament is the same for all soldiers. Its a hard thing to explain, but i have seen it in my son and also his friends who have been on leave with him.

My son has known this rule for a while now. Makes sense when you think about it.
He even had orders not hang his millitary gear outside to dry after washing it whilst at home. The threat of reprisals is all too real, not just for him ,but for his family too.

can i ask you if you have any relatives in the forces and have you had first hand of the "gung ho" you speak of? The media allways gives a wrong impression of things, which makes me understand were you are coming from with the statement.Dont believe all you see as the truth.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
Hi drbryankkruta

The link refers to soldiers wearing uniform in public in the UK. I accept the fact that we stand out as foreigners whilst in Iraq, but the gung ho remark is to me the wrong thing to say. The soldiers are trained both physically & mentally. They have to be able to act immediately. The temperament is the same for all soldiers. Its a hard thing to explain, but i have seen it in my son and also his friends who have been on leave with him.

I was speaking figuratively they will stick out wether it be in IRAQ, the US, or the UK I understand the focus and I say their attitude and comradery and general appearance in the public will single them out. hence the 2 out of 10 people in underwear analogy. The gungho thngs was a reference in example of the common my army is stronger than yours, and the heros made by the telling stories of kills as if wearing them as a badge, and the inheirant belief that they are indestructable.

My son has known this rule for a while now. Makes sense when you think about it.
He even had orders not hang his millitary gear outside to dry after washing it whilst at home. The threat of reprisals is all too real, not just for him ,but for his family too.

This only eliminates the obvious signs.

can i ask you if you have any relatives in the forces and have you had first hand of the "gung ho" you speak of? The media allways gives a wrong impression of things, which makes me understand were you are coming from with the statement.Dont believe all you see as the truth.

My family encompases the US Marine Corp, US Air Force, and US Army, and in my case I worked in a Navy Recruiting role at the time of Iraq 1, so I would say I have some experience , Law Enforcement is the same way of which I am also a member.

[edit on 31/10/2004 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Cheers drbryankkruta

excellent reply

reading between the lines, you have the same understanding of the training instilled into the military that i have.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Cheers drbryankkruta

excellent reply

reading between the lines, you have the same understanding of the training instilled into the military that i have.

Okay thanks I think I took it that I was being question cause I was wrong.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
No problem.

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Bikereddie]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Okay thanks I think I took it that I was being question cause I was wrong.

No problem.

It's all good, nice to know I'm no longer the only insane person wondring the halls of the asylum lost and in need of guidance.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
at least those padded cells give a good nights sleep eh?

keep up the good work with the postings

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I was stationed in Germany from 1987-1990. Not wearing a uniform in public was standard operating procedure. So this is nothing new.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
was you stationed in osnabruick by any chance?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   

No sir I wished not to travel far at first due to my educational pursuits, and by the time I requested a change in my MOS to my original designation as Sea Hawk pilot there was not a chance due to cut backs.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta

No sir I wished not to travel far at first due to my educational pursuits, and by the time I requested a change in my MOS to my original designation as Sea Hawk pilot there was not a chance due to cut backs.

sorry drbryankkruta , my reply was to carseller. sorry for the confusion.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta

sorry drbryankkruta , my reply was to carseller. sorry for the confusion.

I sorta was thinking that but as one who doesnt like to be rude by not answering I thought I would answer just to cover my bases.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
lmao

what a gent

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Its a different world now, but back in the 1980s early 90s when I was in the Reserves, you would see numbers of us in town between work and the barracks waiting for the train, going from being Civies to Chokkoes for the night or weekend.

We would be wearing our uniforms out of a mix of pride and practicality (get to the barracks and get into it for the night).

But an order came down instructing those of us travelling on public transport not to wear the uniform. It had nothing to do with security but because there had been a couple of one off problems with yobbos and the more obnoxious members of the left trying to pick fights, or at least a concern they would.

Most of the Diggers I know chose to ignore the advice including myself and we continued to wear our uniforms. It felt to much like we were being asked to be embarrassed about it. Nobody had any trouble.

Beisdes, whats the point of being in civies to be discrete, when your lugging 40 kg of kit in a camoflage backpack!

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
fair point craig.

but you can get bergens over the counter at any army civilian supplies in the UK.

Just because you have one dont mean that you are service personel.

Personally, i never wore, or carried anything to do with the army whilst in civvies, nor did i ever say what i did as an occupation.

Keeping your head screwed on means you dont get 'twated' (UK term for thumped, kicked,knifed, or anything else you can think of) by the uneducated thugs of our relevant countries.

good post all the same

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Bikereddie]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Actually, when I think about it...
I can`t remember the last time I saw anyone wearing a military uniform in public. I used to see lots of them before, on their way to or from home.

new topics

top topics

join