It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GAO Report Finds Obamacare Likely to Add $6.2 Trillion to the Deficit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Say it ain't so... Didn't Obama say that Obamacare will not "add one dime" to the deficit? I'm pretty sure he said that unless I'm just dreaming again...

A recent analysis by the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office (GAO) reveals that President Obama’s health care overhaul is likely to add $6.2 trillion to the deficit over the next 75 years.

It is just the latest report to contradict President Obama’s repeated claims that the Affordable Care Act, often referred to as “Obamacare,” will not add “one dime” to the deficit and is in fact the fiscally responsible decision.

After highlighting President Obama’s pledge that he would “not sign a plan that adds one dime to our deficits, either now or in the future. Period,” Sessions continued: “The GAO’s investigation reveals these claims to be false.”

“According to the GAO, with a realistic set of assumptions, the health care law will increase the deficit by seven tenths of 1% of GDP, or roughly $6.2 trillion over the next 75 years,” he said. “In other words, the GAO reveals that the big tax increases in the bill come nowhere close to covering the even more massive spending.”

www.theblaze.com... on-to-the-deficit/

global.nationalreview.com...

www.nationalreview.com...

I want my dime back...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Nope! He said it! I am digging for the video right now!

But then again, I am surprised we haven't figured out by now that everything he says, we can bank on the opposite happening........

Found it..

edit on 26-2-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I hate to sound morbid...... but, with the way this economy is going downhill, i really dont think the defecit will really matter in 75 years........

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Who cares, they will just print the money out of thin air. I havent studied the Obamacare plan but if it gives more Americans the ability to go to a doctor when they are hurt or in pain then LAUNCH IT. Too many ppl are suffering going bankrupt, losing their homes etc because of the stupidity of the American establishment.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

A single report brought to 'light' from a single senator who asked what the costs would be if

the cost containment provisions in the law — the Independent Payment Advisory Board, excise tax on high-cost plans, and reductions in Medicare payments to providers — are “phased out over time” while the coverage provisions remain.

If you want to just ignore one entire, key, portion of the law to see what it would cost. I guess you could do that. Saying that it's going to add to the deficit when it actually reduces the deficit as it stands is a flat out lie.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by WormwoodSquirm

Who cares, they will just print the money out of thin air. I havent studied the Obamacare plan but if it gives more Americans the ability to go to a doctor when they are hurt or in pain then LAUNCH IT. Too many ppl are suffering going bankrupt, losing their homes etc because of the stupidity of the American establishment.

And who is responsible for people suffering and going bankrupt and losing their homes???

Whoopsy! The same people who you think give a damn about you and your families health!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I believe every American should be born with the right to complete and non exhaustive healthcare. PERIOD. Why it isnt so is a scam and is quite pathetic to be honest.
I am an American living in Canada. We pay a little more here for taxes on luxury items etc but I can go to the doctor for an earache, I can go get my lungs looked at with a bronchoscopy or break my hip, get it fixed up and I will see absolutely no bill.

Why America cant get this right is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

And who is responsible for people suffering and going bankrupt and losing their homes???

Whoopsy! The same people who you think give a damn about you and your families health!!!!

Private insurance companies and medicine for profit system. Those groups are powerful in the States and only act like they care.
When you have a national healthcare system in place the motivation is to heal you not to treat you forever and create massive bills that are ridiculous and out of reach to ordinary Americans.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yes and no. It lowers the cost of health insurance, but at the same time makes it mandatory for many people who still cant afford it. Myself, for example, fall into the mandate, so even though i cant afford a car payment, a house, orsave any money for retirement, im forced into this "crapcare" or pay a fine. On top of taxes being raised, which another poster pointed out in another thread. This whole thing is a horrible idea built from lies and empty promises. Score 1 for the govt., people: 0

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

If you want to just ignore one entire, key, portion of the law to see what it would cost. I guess you could do that. Saying that it's going to add to the deficit when it actually reduces the deficit as it stands is a flat out lie.

So you are debating this topic based upon a partisan website that is known to lie in the defense of their selected savior???

Okay, I hope you feel comfortable with trying to use lies to defend something that has already been proven as fraudulent and misleading!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
6.2 trillion over 75 years seems like a good deal to me!

How much have we spent the last 11 years fighting the war on terror?

Heck how much have we spent fighting wars the last 75 years?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Private insurance companies and medicine for profit system. Those groups are powerful in the States and only act like they care.
When you have a national healthcare system in place the motivation is to heal you not to treat you forever and create massive bills that are ridiculous and out of reach to ordinary Americans.

I agree! But who gives them that power to do so???

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by links234

So you are debating this topic based upon a partisan website that is known to lie in the defense of their selected savior???

Okay, I hope you feel comfortable with trying to use lies to defend something that has already been proven as fraudulent and misleading!

If you're going to call him out for linking to an article from think progress, why don't you call out the OP for linking us to the Blaze? Which is owned by Glenn Beck?

Oh that's right you won't because it falls right in line with your agenda

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Conservative sites saying one thing are A-OK but progressive sites saying the opposite are forbidden?

I only linked to that particular article because I read it earlier.

I'm sure you can do some googling and find some more reports backing up either side of this argument. You don't want to live in an echo chamber, do you?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dothedew

Yes and no. It lowers the cost of health insurance, but at the same time makes it mandatory for many people who still cant afford it. Myself, for example, fall into the mandate, so even though i cant afford a car payment, a house, orsave any money for retirement, im forced into this "crapcare" or pay a fine. On top of taxes being raised, which another poster pointed out in another thread. This whole thing is a horrible idea built from lies and empty promises. Score 1 for the govt., people: 0

I agree but the fundamental point here is that why should there even be private healthcare insurance for profit at all? Why not just spend the American riches on ppl instead of wars? Why not tell all private insurance companies in the entire country, YOU ARE SHUT DOWN AS OF TODAY. Then implement healthcare as a right to being American and whatever the federal and state governments have to do to make that possible is in the best interest of ALL Americans.

You should not be a mother of 4 kids with a small house and all of a sudden you fall on ice and have to have surgery to repair something. OOPS you dont work for FORD uhmm you owe us 85,000. Oh, you dont have it eh? Well we will come after your house. This is the situation millions of times. Get with the program America and take a close look at how Canada gets this done. There is no hardship here associated with medical bills. ALL CDNs can go to the clinic anytime they want, have emergency surgery after a car wreck etc and they will not lose crap. Not their house or dignity or anything. Its all covered. Now tell me how Canada can do it and the richest nation on earth cannot.
edit on 26-2-2013 by WormwoodSquirm because: inserted line break for better readability

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think you need to add "over the next 75 years" to your thread title

booooo

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
6.2 trillion over 75 years seems like a good deal to me!

How much have we spent the last 11 years fighting the war on terror?

Heck how much have we spent fighting wars the last 75 years?

I agree that sounds too cheap, I wonder how much we will spend in the next 75 years fighting wars, and how much we will spend in the next 75 years on senators pet pork barrel projects in their districts?

If the government gets real hard up for money to pay it`s bills they could make some of the 48% who pay no taxes start paying some taxes.I`m not talking about the working poor either i`m talking about the mega corporations making record profits and paying no taxes.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Does that Obamacare include optical and dental coverage?

If I end up paying for it, it should cover that.
edit on 26-2-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Here is a little morsel to add about CDN healthcare. I can get a massage twice a year on the house. Haha. I have had surgeries, I have been hospitalized and I am not bankrupt nor do I pay insurance at all/ The system is spread out with minor tax on all sorts of things to cover it.
If Obamacare is forcing poor Americans to pay a bill to an insurance company, that is ludicrous as a solution in the first place.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WormwoodSquirm

Private insurance companies and medicine for profit system.

Oh, yes, those evil for profit private companies! /sarcasm.
So you would rather have a for profit Government?

Where did you get that idea from? Have you even read the ACA?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join