Kerry: 'In America you have a right to be stupid'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

BERLIN — Secretary of State John Kerry offered a defense of freedom of speech, religion and thought in the United States on Tuesday, telling German students that in America "you have a right to be stupid if you want to be."

"As a country, as a society, we live and breathe the idea of religious freedom and religious tolerance, whatever the religion, and political freedom and political tolerance, whatever the point of view," Kerry told the students in Berlin, the second stop on his inaugural trip as secretary of state.

"People have sometimes wondered about why our Supreme Court allows one group or another to march in a parade even though it's the most provocative thing in the world and they carry signs that are an insult to one group or another," he added.

"The reason is, that's freedom, freedom of speech. In America you have a right to be stupid — if you want to be," he said, prompting laughter. "And you have a right to be disconnected to somebody else if you want to be.

"And we tolerate it. We somehow make it through that. Now, I think that's a virtue. I think that's something worth fighting for," he added. "The important thing is to have the tolerance to say, you know, you can have a different point of view."

I must be one of the stupid people that he is talking about because I`m not sure what he is saying.

exactly what is it that he thinks is stupid?

Is saying that being "disconnected to somebody" is stupid? and what the heck does that mean anyway?

is he saying that marching in parades that are provocative to other groups is stupid?

Is he saying that having a different point of view is stupid?

is he saying that being insulting is stupid?

is he saying that excercising your right to do any of the above makes you stupid?

I think he was just going for cheap laughs at the expense of all americans by making a joke that doesn`t make any sense.
He should stick to whatever it is that he does best and leave the jokes to the comedians.

news.msn.com...
edit on 26-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

What do you expect from a Skull and Bones, spoon fed globalist puppet???

But hey, Americans just are gluttons for punishment, by allowing ourselves to be TOLD who we can vote for......

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think he's saying that many of us would call someone who disagrees with us, "stupid".
The first people who came to my mind are the Fred Phelps church... Westboro Baptist ... I'm thinking they're pretty stupid. But I have always supported their right to do what they do.

Just about every group I know has someone who thinks they're stupid... But they're allowed to be.
I think that's what he's saying.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
After reading all of that...

I really do feel stupid.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
He was only speaking to Obama voters

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well... what is your problem with what he said? Do you disagree? Do you not comprehend? Do you think we DON'T have the right to be stupid? Do you think everyone in America is brilliant? What's wrong with what he said?

Or is this just a "bash the opposite political party" thread? Because if that's the case, there's no discussion to be had here and I'm out.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

in America "you have a right to be stupid if you want to be."

Without sounding like I am agreeing with him, isn't that what we all say here all day? How "dumbed down" Americans seem to be? If you watch the American Media in the main stream in Germany or anywhere else for that matter, aren't we sometimes embarrassed at our actions and behaviors overseas? I know I am. Maybe thats why they laughed.

Because they agree. To them we are the stupidest.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Don't think he means any of your questions, I may be wrong but Westboro baptist church springs to mind.
I reckon what he means that even if you want to say all the vile, repugnant and insulting crap that they say (which face it, is pretty stupid) you are granted the freedom to say it.
I believe he was proud of America's stance and wasn't denigrating it at all. It probably takes living in a place without this freedom to say something stupid without having your testicles hooked up to a car battery to appreciate what he said.

Ps. Nice hat btw!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I don't know why you wouldn't want to be seen as agreeing with him. What he's saying is true, as you've illustrated. We ARE stupid, as a country! And there are many people I think are stupid.

We're stupid for allowing government infringement to the point that it is today.
We're stupid for not treating all our citizens equally under the law.
We're stupid for making women's medical issues the center of our political campaigns and
we're stupid for sending our children to government indoctrination centers every day of their youth.

I could go on and on. I agree with him, myself.

edit on 2/26/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Yes you sure do.
If all you want to do is live in the backwoods of Kentucky with no one to bother you and drink booze all day long. That is your right to do so.

If you want to be an idiot and be a racist bastard then that is your right to do so.

If you want to live your life with blinders to the shenanigans going on in our government.

And so on.

What's so hard to understand? He's absolutely correct. The majority of people walking around today are dumb.
Just watch the video..... /facepalm

edit on 26-2-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well... what is your problem with what he said? Do you disagree? Do you not comprehend? Do you think we DON'T have the right to be stupid? Do you think everyone in America is brilliant? What's wrong with what he said?

What is wrong with what he said???? Seriously?

How about it being nothing more than political lies?

If it is okay to be stupid in America, as he says, why do we have big brother breathing down our neck over damn near everything we do in AMERICA?????

Are you that blind to not see thru the political bull snip???

Stupid people can't drink too much soda in NYC.

OH! Here is a good one! Why is it that SMART people DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE FEEDING THEIR FAMILIES?????

OH HELL! Maybe I jumped on this one too soon! I guess our government advocates stupidity over people being able to think for themselves! Just take a look at our educational system for a good example.

Nope, I guess you are right! Our government is all about promoting stupidity in America. How in the hell else can anyone explain why we are in the spot we are currently in??

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I actually agree with him on this if nothing else. His point is valid but his elitist mentality is screwing it up. What he really meant to say was "in America people can hold different beliefs and even if I don't respect those beliefs, they are allowed to have them".
edit on 26-2-2013 by Marid Audran because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
When I read title of the article I thought that he must have been refering to education as in that in america people have the right to be uneducated but after being suckered into reading the article I realized that he was using the word stupid in the 1st grade sense of the word stupid." I don`t agree with you, so your a stupid head"

From the example he gave in the story he is saying that if people do things that you don`t agree with then that makes them stupid.
Like i said i think he was just going for cheap laughs using childish humor.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Originally posted by seeker1963
How about it being nothing more than political lies?

He's lying? We DON'T have the right to be stupid?

If it is okay to be stupid in America, as he says, why do we have big brother breathing down our neck over damn near everything we do in AMERICA?????

He didn't say it's OK to be stupid, he said we HAVE A RIGHT to be.

I don't even know why I'm answering you. :shk:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
That remark could also be applied towards our Politicians.

"Sorry folks, the United States of America is in an economical crisis due to the stupidity of us, the legislatures."
"What a fine example we set for the American people."
[/sarcasm]

Boy, now I feel better.................

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
... but after being suckered into reading the article

Oh, Lord! You were "suckered into" reading past the headline?? Heaven forbid you look beyond the headline and actually READ the article because you want the whole story!!
You poor thing! :shk:

The more I learn, the more I agree with him.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
I actually agree with him on this if nothing else. His point is valid but his elitist mentality is screwing it up. What he really meant to say was "in American people can hold different beliefs and even if I don't respect those beliefs, they are allowed to have them".

Very nicely put without offending any one..........

Now see, that wasn't so hard.
[I'd vote for you.......
]

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
In America you have the right to be stupid????

Sometimes it comes across like its a requirement
edit on 26/2/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

We are ignorant more than stupid is more to my liking. The education of todays youth falls far short of the mark (some would say by intent). And he disses us by making that into a stupid joke. Thanks Kerry.

Thats how I disagree with the way he termed it. Otherwise you're right.

Add to it how we look for our militaristic view of a one world order across the globe. That empire stuff never works out in the long run. Are we that friggin' stupid?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Originally posted by Marid Audran
I actually agree with him on this if nothing else. His point is valid but his elitist mentality is screwing it up. What he really meant to say was "in American people can hold different beliefs and even if I don't respect those beliefs, they are allowed to have them".

Very nicely put without offending any one..........

Now see, that wasn't so hard.
[I'd vote for you.......
]

Thanks, but I sure as hell wouldn't vote for me. It'd be nothing but graft and sex and disillusionment. You know, the status quo.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join