It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hope this beautiful work of Calligarphy will awe you and hopefully it can stay alive and not forg

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I came across this video today and I really thought to myself "who cares"?
Very happy that I clicked on the link and was blown away by watching an almost lost art in progress.

I recall in High School trying to do this in the early 70's with a tipped pen and ink..
It was really hard to do and I have great respect for this artist even if they are using newer writing utensils.

This will not disappoint you If you like the arts.

Link below

www.kontraband.com...

It is only 2 mins and 30 seconds long and after watching it I wished they did the whole Alphabet but alas not so...

I hope everyone is as pleased as myself and the wife were.....

Fantastic stuff this is.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Thank you. I appreciate the skill here, the writing is beautiful. As a Teacher I know how hard it is to encourage Students to practice their writing skills when all they want to do is press buttons. Oh how I long for the days of craftsmanship and artistic appreciation - maybe we can return to skills that are being lost - without losing knowledge and technology that we have gained along the way.

Beautiful to watch and inspiring to read something that is so beautiful to the eye - all so balanced.

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
reply to post by Iwinder

Thank you. I appreciate the skill here, the writing is beautiful. As a Teacher I know how hard it is to encourage Students to practice their writing skills when all they want to do is press buttons. Oh how I long for the days of craftsmanship and artistic appreciation - maybe we can return to skills that are being lost - without losing knowledge and technology that we have gained along the way.

Beautiful to watch and inspiring to read something that is so beautiful to the eye - all so balanced.

Much Peace...

I agree and to be sure I thought about posting this as an actual thread based on lost knowledge or adding to one of the many already on the go....

My memories from high school and our Art teacher are still fresh in my noggin, even as a smart assed 16 year old male she really impressed me with her talent and her very strong persistence that we could do the above in the video.

Thanks for your very good post.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

We learned that in High School Art Class as well. I've done many documents and certificates for people wanting calligraphy on them before it became so easy to printshop things.

It's a great skill to have and I often catch myself doodling with it while sitting in boring meetings

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SproutKY
reply to post by Iwinder

We learned that in High School Art Class as well. I've done many documents and certificates for people wanting calligraphy on them before it became so easy to printshop things.

It's a great skill to have and I often catch myself doodling with it while sitting in boring meetings

I certainly wish I picked up the talent, which I did not do obviously or I would not be so envious of the work done in the video..

I remember trying to change the tips on my pen without getting all "Indian Inked up" without much success I might add

Good for you to doodle a dieing art and perhaps you yourself might just be the one to keep it alive.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Beautiful! I wanted to see the rest, too.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I tell you It blew my mind just to be witness to something so smooth and so hard to do.

I could have sat through the Alphabet 10 times over it they showed it...

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 26-2-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
That hand was so steady and confident! The smoothness of those arc's and ruler straight lines... I'm betting the artist has put in the 10,000 hours needed to master a craft.

Exquisite to watch, thank you!

CX

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I can do that

For that i have a teacher called Mrs MacGregor to thank who taught me when i was 6 years old. Renowned as a bit of a dragon, everyone was scared stiff of her. She was just an old school type teacher who stood no nonsense.

Anyway she recognized that i had a passion for writing, and especially fountain pens. I'd also seen a letter she had written in italic. So one day, she taught me calligraphy. I had lessons throughout that year and it has remained a huge part of my life ever since.

Although she went as far as teaching me the illuminated lettering, and even dabbled with the gold leaf to really enhance the work, i tend to stick with italic script these days. It's easier for people to understand.

To be honest, what you see in that video is not that hard to do once you have a basic grasp of the technique. A steady hand and skill of keeping the angles correct comes with practice. I'd advise anyone to get a cheap calligraphy pen and look online for free tutorials. It's amazing how much you can transform your writing with the right pen.

Here's a post i did a while back on ATS, what i wrote was a rush job and is as basic as it gets, just an extension of your normal writing in fact, but like i say, the right pen can make it look better.....

Post by me....

Write a letter to a loved one an address it using calligraphy, add a wax seal to the back and it's always well received. Gets addictive though, leads onto stuff like mail art and the likes.

Thanks again for this thread, it reminds me how beautiful the art is.

And thank you Mrs MacGregor.....although you are in another place now, this art will always be the most important thing i was ever taught at school.

CX.

PS: Scroll down my post in that link and you'll see the very same pen i had when i was six.

edit on 26/2/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
That hand was so steady and confident! The smoothness of those arc's and ruler straight lines... I'm betting the artist has put in the 10,000 hours needed to master a craft.

Exquisite says it all and I appreciate your post.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I can do that

For that i have a teacher called Mrs MacGregor to thank who taught me when i was 6 years old. Renowned as a bit of a dragon, everyone was scared stiff of her. She was just an old school type teacher who stood no nonsense.

Anyway she recognized that i had a passion for writing, and especially fountain pens. I'd also seen a letter she had written in italic. So one day, she taught me calligraphy. I had lessons throughout that year and it has remained a huge part of my life ever since.

Although she went as far as teaching me the illuminated lettering, and even dabbled with the gold leaf to really enhance the work, i tend to stick with italic script these days. It's easier for people to understand.

To be honest, what you see in that video is not that hard to do once you have a basic grasp of the technique. A steady hand and skill of keeping the angles correct comes with practice. I'd advise anyone to get a cheap calligraphy pen and look online for free tutorials. It's amazing how much you can transform your writing with the right pen.

Here's a post i did a while back on ATS, what i wrote was a rush job and is as basic as it gets, just an extension of your normal writing in fact, but like i say, the right pen can make it look better.....

Post by me....

Write a letter to a loved one an address it using calligraphy, add a wax seal to the back and it's always well received. Gets addictive though, leads onto stuff like mail art and the likes.

Thanks again for this thread, it reminds me how beautiful the art is.

And thank you Mrs MacGregor.....although you are in another place now, this art will always be the most important thing i was ever taught at school.

CX.

PS: Scroll down my post in that link and you'll see the very same pen i had when i was six.

edit on 26/2/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

You my friend are so fortunate to posses this knowledge and be able to use it as intended.

Your link is fantastic and I urge all that visit this thread to check it out.

Many thanks for adding your wisdom and link here.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
As most already have gathered my title was too long and the last word up top is Forgotten as in skills/memories/just plain history.

I really appreciate all the comments so far and it's very refreshing in this day and age to hear people saying things like "this is great" and "It is a dieing art"

I am a firm believer that "memories" are a major player in our past, much more so then say history books.

I loved the Fictional book series "Earth's Children" written by Jean M Auel.

Her main theme was history is memories and passed down.

I hope that memories continue to be passed down for eons to come.

Reminds me of the Joni Mitchell song.......OOOOHHH you know you just don't know what you got till its gone.

Here is a link to the lyrics below

www.azlyrics.com...

Regards, Iwinder

CX

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Calligraphy aside, i think even general handwriting is a dieing art.

There are few things better than getting a handwritten letter through your letterbox, doesn't matter what paper it's on, what pen it was written with, what the handwriting is like......it's still a pleasure in amongst the bills.

Just write....before we forget how to.

CX.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Calligraphy aside, i think even general handwriting is a dieing art.

There are few things better than getting a handwritten letter through your letterbox, doesn't matter what paper it's on, what pen it was written with, what the handwriting is like......it's still a pleasure in amongst the bills.

Just write....before we forget how to.

CX.

correct you are, The best we get in our home now are Christmas cards that have more than just a signature....
Last season we received many cards but only three had the inclusion of a nice long note (hand written) and they really warmed us.

I know what you mean but it is hard to explain.

Both my parents are long gone, but I do have letters sent from Canada to Britain and Belgium during WW2 from my mother to father and back agian.

Some were written on a cigarette package but that takes nothing away from the joy of reading true letters.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Just recalled a memory from a class I was teaching as a Casual. The regular Teacher had left a lesson plan and I was to write notes on the board and the class had to copy the notes into their books. Yahoo - as a trained English Teacher I was really pleased that a Teacher still planned lessons this way.

Loads of notes and I write the way I was taught - cursive - with slight artistic modifications being an artist and all. Some Students were managing to keep up as they completed the notes and I asked whether I could rub off the top section to keep going. Some Students really struggled to keep up and I helped them with one on one assistance.

However - the point to my post - at one moment in time a Student made a comment about my style of writing and before I could even think of a response another Student answered - out aloud.

It's beautiful - she writes the old fashioned way.

My cursive is actually not as stylish as those who were schooled before me. At least the Students are paying attention and this always makes me happy. I think I recall conversation with the Students about my style of writing and I explained to them it is actually easier to write in cursive than to print. So perhaps the art of writing is not actually dying it is the fact that it is not being taught - encouraged - supported or lauded.

Much Peace...

edit on 26-2-2013 by Amanda5 because: Correct colour text application

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I couldn't see the video on my phone for some reason, but I am familiar with Calligraphy. It is a beautiful art.

Actually, it is rather coincidental that you posted this, because I had dug out my pens, nibs, and india ink just last night. I not only practiced many styles of Calligraphy, but I have been studying Chinese Calligraphy and painting with ground inks, as well. I have purchased almost all of the supplies, and need to get started on practicing. I am so excited about it!

What's more, I use those same pens, nibs, and ink for arts, for drawing, and pointillism. I just drew a heart in ink after I got out my pens, then colored it with colored pencils, in fact.

One thing I can say, however, is I get compliments on my handwriting nearly every day. The practice of Calligraphy reflects in your day to day writing, such as at work, any paperwork you have to fill out, etc.

At work, I have to maintain a dry erase board with dry erase markers, and the markers have a tip just like a nib. I automatically find myself holding it like a pen, and the writing looks like a font. I can't help it, it is just how I write. People that see it always ask me, "Is that your writing?", as if they can hardly believe someone wrote it.

It is nice, sometimes makes me blush, but I just take it for granted, I guess.

I bought a nice little book about scripting, adding nice images to text, like old books used to have, and I fell in love with it! I use it for gifts I make people, when I send cards, or decorating frames.

I only hope beautiful writing will not die out, but the way schools are moving away from it, it scares me.

Thanks for the post! And what a coincidence you posted it. It just adds to my conviction to work on many projects I have in mind!

edit on 27-2-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I know it is off topic, but I expected you to remark on the table top, too! I thought it would be right up your alley.

On topic- I finally managed to get the video to work. Great stuff!

edit on 27-2-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
For some reason it was very relaxing to watch him draw the letters.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

What a stunning video, thank you so much for that. I feel all inspired to learn this art myself but I fear my hand is not steady enough to do it.

Still, I bet I would still be better than this guy:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys

Make that a font and I could do it in 5 seconds

top topics

<<   2 >>

join