It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Career/Job dilemma Question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,

Im in a mental dilemma.

I have a decent job right now, even tho it is not what i exactly studied for, its in the same field. The company i work for is very good, with excellent benefit/insurance and future advancement. The problem i have is that, i got a low level job in this company as a full time employee soon after i graduated(at that time i wanted to make money and pay off stuff), because of this, i have 0 experience in the field i studied in.

My Company has a department that corresponds to what i studied for but they are looking for people with experience.

My Question,

Should i leave the current job to get a low paying job which would get me some experience in my field, so i can apply for better jobs in the future?

Or

stay with this job and hope they will get me in the corresponding department i like without any experience(it happened to many people before but its rare)?

Some disadvantage of leaving my current job is, all the benefit and decent pay will be gone, and quitting/resigning means it would be almost impossible to get back into the company in the future. I'm financially stable, getting a low paying job(about a 40% reduction) will not cause any effect at this moment.

Any advice is welcome!
edit on 2/26/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Everyone has to start somewhere with zero experience.

See if you can work part time or maybe for a few hours a day at your current job and then go into the department that you studied for to get some work experience/knowledge. So down the road hopefully you can transfer to what you want down the road.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Maybe you can tap into community resources like a workshop to show your current employer you have enough experience neccessary you just need a chance to prove yourself?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
See if you can cross train.

That way you get the best of both worlds. You get a little experience in your field while keeping the job you have.

I'm not sure that it would be possible, but it's a thought!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Are you "happy" in your current job? That would be my measure. It's rare that people are even happy at their job, with many being downright miserable. In this shaky economy, I would tend to stay in a job that offers good benefits and that I like.

But that's just me.
Whatever you do, I wish you much success.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by scottromansky

Thanks for the reply.

Its easy to say that we have to start somewhere with zero experience, but when it comes to them, the employer would be like "somewhere, not here" kinda attitude.

I have tried applying part-time, but my field is a scientific field and they don't really have a "part-time" jobs, i could do full time in the afternoon, but even that is almost impossible to get.

Trust me, i been applying.

reply to post by beautyofperil

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried those centers, it seems most of the don't offer jobs in scientific field. I have tried hospitals, but the competition for a placement there is so strong.

reply to post by MystikMushroom

Thanks for the info,

Yes this is the best option have now, put in extra 2-3 hrs over time to help out in my field. I told my supervisor about it. He said he will suggest that to HR.

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks for reply.

I don't love my job but its nice. Good pay and all but i feel like i would get stuck here for too long, you know that feel you get, when you get used to a job for too long.. and just fit into the mold.... Yes you are right about the economy, either i keep the job and wait for another opportunity to open up in the company or jump ship.

My main problem was that... since i accepted this job right after school, i'm working under people that have same qualification as me, in fact since im a recent graduate i have up to date knowledge.... you know, it feels like you are inferior. They are nice people i work with! but my ego is damaged, also my future looks dim. When i compare myself to my colleagues who graduated at the same time, it does not help my self esteem either.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Hi Everyone,
...I have a decent job right now, even tho it is not what i exactly studied for, its in the same field. The company i work for is very good, with excellent benefit/insurance and future advancement.
...My Company has a department that corresponds to what i studied for but they are looking for people with experience.
...Should i leave the current job to get a low paying job which would get me some experience in my field, so i can apply for better jobs in the future?
...Or
... stay with this job and hope they will get me in the corresponding department i like without any experience(it happened to many people before but its rare)?
...Any advice is welcome!

1st question - Does the job you're wanting involve dancing with poles?
If so - I can't advise.

2nd question - How difficult is it for "them" (the company you're working for) to fill positions in the department you want to get moved to?
Question 2a - How difficult is it for "them" to fill positions (with employees like yourself) in your current department?

3rd question - Why do you think it would be better to get into "what you studied for"?
Do you think that your studies (or - aptitude) will enable you to advance farther in that field...or are you thinking it will somehow be more gratifying (do you get to travel into outer space?)?

Just questions... There are many more to assist in advising.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

1) Haha no pole dancing, i studied Microbiology, but i'm currently a Laboratory Assistant in an Analytical Chemistry Lab.

2) The department i want to go in is much smaller then the one i work, so they look for the best of the best, so to speak BUT i have seen people with little experience get in. My position can be easily filled, i'm kinda overqualified for this position(they even said it in interview lol).

3) i did microbiology because i love that aspect of science, and Lab Assistant is just what it is, an assistant, but im in a chem lab... if i was assistant in the micro lab i could move further up, but that lab does not have an assistant due to its smaller size.

Thanks for your inquiries.!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

If your long term goal is to work in the field you studied in, then the longer you hold off, the lower the odds that you will achieve those long term goals.

If you are in a position right now where making the switch would not be catastrophic to your well being, finances, etc. Make the jump! The longer you wait, the bigger the crevasse will grow. With specialized fields even a few years out of your primary discipline could render you unable to make the jump at all.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You are right, every year there are fresh graduated coming out with better firepower in their arsenal. Problem is the economy... and the comfort i have now, where everything is perfect, yet i know i can't live like this in the future when i have family and buy a house.. kids.. etc..

Hopefully the HR does something about the after shifts to help out in the other department.

Thanks for the advice

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Comprising your ideals and goals can become a habit; And in a few years you will be filled with resentment, angry, making yourself physically sick and unhappy. Experience talking here....

The happiest day of my life was when I finally got the courage to say "take this job and shove it" I would rather live in poverty and pursue my dream than make a ton of money but still resenting every minute on a job I hated.

Remember that in a corporate atmosphere; the peter principal in in effect and no good deed goes unpunished.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I have seen this delimea play out before. Unfortunately your chances of getting into the career line you want diminish every year you stay in this present job. If you really desire to move into yur chosen field you will need to get a low paid job in your chosen area. Dont quit your present job and apply for jobs it may take several months to make the switch.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
...1) Haha no pole dancing, i studied Microbiology, but i'm currently a Laboratory Assistant in an Analytical Chemistry Lab. ...

Soooooo...I was close... ?

2) The department i want to go in is much smaller then the one i work, so they look for the best of the best, so to speak BUT i have seen people with little experience get in. My position can be easily filled, i'm kinda overqualified for this position(they even said it in interview lol).

Okay...

3) i did microbiology because i love that aspect of science, and Lab Assistant is just what it is, an assistant, but im in a chem lab... if i was assistant in the micro lab i could move further up, but that lab does not have an assistant due to its smaller size.

So - there, you would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.
Okay...

Well - before asking any more questions - just wondering if the situation has progressed much since the conversations in this thread...?
Thanks

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Thanks for you concerns. I'm doing further studies part time while working as the lab assistant, to make my resume look more appealing.

As for opening in the Microbiology department? Nope, non yet.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

In this economy, this is the ONLY wise choice.

stay with this job and hope they will get me in the corresponding department i like without any experience(it happened to many people before but its rare)?

In my personal opinion.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for the advice.

This is my current plan as well.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think the situation will change, but may be a few more years, until we're back to the stage where taking a risk is viable again, but right now, it just isn't (in my opinion).

I'm in a field where layoffs can happen with the cancellation of a project. Each time, it's taken me longer and longer to find a job, and instead of finding one making MORE money, like I usually do, I had to take one making LESS, just to get back to work. (and now, I have MORE experience, and MORE education to bring to the table).

Maddening, it really is.

new topics

top topics

join