It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Caribbean Could be in Trouble- 5.1 just hit, Among Expanding, Vast Swarm of Quakes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Well, I had a hunch that the NE DR might be in possible trouble, as I mentioned.

and well:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

A 4.1 and 4.3 back to back, right in the NE DR.

The fact that the second is larger than the first could mean this is not over.

Westward expansion continues, and now with larger quakes than the swarm-type 3 pointers. The depth profiles are close to typical, but on the shallower side of typical. And seeing as they will likely change after further review, ain't no tellin.

But everything is normal, right smoking man?

edit on Sat Mar 2nd 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)
`

EDIT: I will say also though, that I am having trouble finding supporting evidence for those quakes occurring there. Data is sketchy on those networks. The quakes may get moved.

EDIT again:
Well finally- here is the trace from CU.SDDR:
www.iris.edu...

Now how they came up with two separate quakes out of that, I don't know. That looks to me to be one larger quake, on the order of about a 4.7 to 5.2.

Don't ask me, I just play here...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I think I do spot two quakes.

Sigh. I'm struggling to find the terminology to describe what I'm seeing. It looks to me that the p-wave of the second quake it buried in the s-wave? of the first quake. I say that only because there looks to be an increase in the attenuation of the s-wave of the first quake about half-way through the first line of the tracing.

Again. Sigh. I spent years looking at regular ekg tracings to see what the waves were up to but I'm new to these earthly "ekgs". Last month, I had three nights of earthquake themed dreams in a row. The first made me chuckle in the morning because a person in my dream was watching live seismograms and hollered "we've got R on T!" and I felt such doom when I heard that

I like perusing a particular website that has good articles on earthquakes. An article last month was about the possibility of increased cyclic seismic activity around Hispaniola Island. The original source along with reference links are at the bottom of the page.

Thank you for all the information that you provide!
edit on 2-3-2013 by WillowWisp because: bad spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by WillowWisp

Can't confirm or deny if it was one or two... You and TrueAmerican probably know about this site. quakes.globalincidentmap.com....... brought to light to me by Jude11 in his OP: ATS Thread. It shows two occurring early Saturday morning (in the night), and one about 1 1/2 hrs ago.... a 2.9. The site is global in nature, pretty current, and very easy to use. It's just not very good at specific locations though... For example when you mouse over the D.R. in the map.... it just alludes to: somewhere in/around the D.R.

ETA: correction... in looking at the text listing below the map on the site, it appears there were four since midnight.
  • 6hrs ago: 4.3
  • 5hrs ago: 3.9
  • 4hrs ago: 3.2
  • 2hrs ago: 2.9

There's a 4.1 mixed in with the 4.3... but it's listed as occurring within a minute of the 4.3. I'm no expert, but I would lean towards this being the same EQ, sensed from two different locations.

It's 11:00am now. There was also one around 8:00 pm Fri. night.... All in all, it was some shaking, but nothing serious.

edit on 2/3/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/3/2013 by MarkJS because: added scrnshot of list

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Region: DOMINICAN REPUBLIC REGION
Geographic coordinates: 19.372N, 68.817W
Magnitude: 4.0
Depth: 155 km
Universal Time (UTC): 2 Mar 2013 14:38:19
Time near the Epicenter: 2 Mar 2013 09:38:19
Local standard time in your area: 2 Mar 2013 14:38:19

Location with respect to nearby cities:
49 km (30 mi) NNE of Miches, Dominican Republic