Lesser Known Historical Structures You Should See: Part III

page: 1

join
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In Part III of this series, we'll focus only on only one place, The Temples of My Son in Vietnam. It is one of the most amazing groups of ancient structures that I've come across, and one that more than deserves it's place in history. At one time consisting of more than 70 temples, it's one of the most important temple complexes in Buddism.

Dating as far back as the 4th century, My Son (pronunced Me Sun) was an important center of knowledge, spiritualism, and politics for the Champa culture.

The Temples of My Son

www.theepochtimes.com...

In a lush green valley in central Vietnam under the imposing glare of Cat's Tooth Mountain rests one of the most important archaeological sites of the ancient kingdom of Champa.
It is unassuming, resilient and rich in history and beauty. One could well be describing Vietnam itself. In truth, the crumbling temples of My Son are just a speck on Vietnam's kaleidoscope of indulgent cultural experiences.

The temple-towers of My Son are thought to date back to the late 4th century and together formed the most significant intellectual, religious and political centre of the Champa kingdom, which controlled what is now contemporary Vietnam until the 13th century.

brianholihan.com...

www.enjoytravelvietnam.com...

Chăm Pa culture had great influences on Vietnam’s cultural values of significance. The once capital of Chăm Pa Kingdom from 4th to 15th century was “Thánh địa Mỹ Sơn”, called “Mỹ Sơn Sanctuary" or "Valley of Kings" by French historians.

In those days, My Son became centre for spirituality and worship during the reign of the Chămpa Kingdom. Exemplifying the height of Chăm architectural achievement, The Mỹ Sơn Sanctuary is a large complex of religious monuments originally consisting of more than 70 structures; the vestiges of 25 of which remain today. The builders of Mỹ Sơn were the nobility of the Chămpa Kingdom who derived their cultural and spiritual influences almost exclusively from India.

vietnamdeluxetravel.com...

phoebettmh.blogspot.com...

www.vietnam-travel-and-food.com...

As with far too many ancient structures, it has been damaged due to war.

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1937, French scholars began to restore the temples at Mỹ Sơn. In 1937 and 1938, the main temple known as "A1" and the smaller temples surrounding it were restored. Other major temples were restored between 1939 and 1943. However, many historical buildings were destroyed during the Vietnam War. United States B52 aircraft carpet-bombed the region in August 1969. The surrounding area is still rendered dangerous through the presence of unexploded land mines.

Mỹ Sơn is perhaps the longest inhabited archaeological site in Indochina, but a large majority of its architecture was destroyed by US carpet bombing during a single week of the Vietnam War.[3]

There is much more additional information and pictures about My Son found at the links within the thread. I have only posted a few representitive pictures to illustrate the beauty of the place, and hopefully given everyone just enough interest to look into this group of amazing structures.

Thanks for reading....See you in the thread...and in Part IV (coming soon).

Links to Part I and Part II:
Part I
Part II

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
WOW OP!!! I had missed the 2 previous thread and just went through all of them, these are awesome sites and I never heard of any of them. Very nice indeed to see how many structures built by man that stood the test of time and can perhaps tell us a bit more about locals that lived in those areas at those times.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I'm glad that you've enjoyed them. As there is an endless amount of historical structures on our planet, I hope to continue creating these threads to point out some of the more interesting ones for ATS members to learn about.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the threads.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Temple of "My Son"

wow im intrigued.....keep it up dude, fly that deny ignorance flag lol

i always wondered what vietnams religous/ancient(ish) culture was like

peace
edit on 26-2-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

please do
i always enjoy these threads
edit on 27-2-2013 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Great thread, OP! Keep them coming! Oh, and I'll really appreciate if you introduced a few from China.

(though I wouldn't trust the Epoch Times at all. It's a cult website, literally.)

Originally posted by thePharaoh
i always wondered what vietnams religous/ancient(ish) culture was like

They, like Korea and Japan, stole a lot from us.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by Teye22

I'm glad that you've enjoyed them. As there is an endless amount of historical structures on our planet, I hope to continue creating these threads to point out some of the more interesting ones for ATS members to learn about.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the threads.

Of course I liked them!!

I agree that there are countless sites like this around the globe. Keep them coming!

I will do a little research from my area to see if I can post a few here!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
After a bit of research, there isn't much in my area in the same line as what you have found OP

La Citadelle de Québec

Constructed between 1820 and 1831 based on the defence system designed by a French engineer named Vauban, La Citadelle of Quebec was built under the direction of Lieutenant-Colonel Elias Walker Durnford, a British army officer.

[img][/img] [img][/img]

[img][/img]

Although it is a very well known tourist site in quebec city and not quite as old as most of the ones posted already..it is probably the oldest site that I know about in my province(sorry if that makes it a bit off topic), I have visited this site many times and I actually worked there (I was in the R22eR when I was military, thus we had parades there). It is a very interesting site to visit and there are guided tours to explain how things were done back then.

There are likely many more like it or older but you (OP) seem a lot better than me in this type of research!

More info on the linked site.

Teye22

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

These remind me of the structures at Ayutthaya in Thailand. Are they related?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Fantastic series of threads, OP. All are various sites that I was previously unaware of. I focus to much on the major sites. Keep up the good work! I look forward to part IV. Have you done much research into sites located in America? I'm always reading about new sites

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Great Job Op, These threads of yours are great,

I did not know of this place and plan to visit it on my Asia trip at the end of this year, wonderful work sir.

Keep them coming : )

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Great Job Op, These threads of yours are great,

I did not know of this place and plan to visit it on my Asia trip at the end of this year, wonderful work sir.

Keep them coming : )

new topics

top topics

active topics

join