It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Computer and New Technoogy is DESTROYING Our Society

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Briefly I am a "old retired worker" from several generations ago.....a long time before all the technology. I even remember "door to door sales" (today you would be arrested as a terrorist!!!!!! for carrying a briefcase.. (It might be a bomb!)

I remember when you had to pick up the telephone to make a call to someone.. AND A PERSON ANSWERED, If they did not answer, you called again later.

Today, If I call someone and the "voicemail" does not work, the girl picks up the phone and says, "Sorry The voice mail not working you can't leave a message for John Doe"

I explain to the girl that if she got a pencil and paper she can WRITE MY NAME AND PHONE NUMBER AND HAND THE MESSAGE TO HIM" She is impressed!

I cant reach people any more!!!! .. the more communications the HARDER it is to talk to someone!

Facebook, Email, Twitters, I Phones, I Pads, Computers, Skypes, Texting.... ITS NO WONDER OUR ECONOMY IS SO BAD.. Sales people cant talk to anyone but machines!

Well, folks this was all planned and its just part of the program...

Anyone else? can you not talk to people when you need to? Does todays gadgets and technology keep you from growing your business or making sales?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I've learned the best way to really contact people these days is to just send a text message, call, leave a voice mail, or just send them an email.

I can keep in touch with my clients with any of these methods. It's pretty crazy that with all the ways to talk to people, it's still impossible to get in touch with them. I believe certain technologies have made people a lot lazier, and definitely has enabled them to ignore their personal matters for just a little longer, because they have a voice mail or it was in text form.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

Before telephones, there was hand-delivered mail.
You had to wait months, or weeks between exchanges with people over distances of even just a hundred miles or so.
Trans-continental and International communication? Good luck.

Further, if you were a stranger waltzing up on someone's property back then, you would expect to have weapons aimed at you, and even the sometimes warning shot fired by less than friendly sorts.

Machines are much friendlier, and who wants to talk to a salesman anyway?
If I want something, I look for it online and click a button and it gets delivered from anywhere on the planet in a few days at most.
If I want to do the touchy feely looky and try it on thing, I go directly to the store.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I can identify with a lot of what you just said. It's just hard to find anyone anymore that can identify at all with these concepts, lol.

PS - Your name reminds me of... um, a particular branding of fresh meat... I prefer ribeyes, lol.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Your experience sounds pretty specific, I've never had trouble leaving an answerphone message or sending a breif text. I mean this in the least offensive way but it could be your generation? People who are 20+ now have grown up while technology has been growing too, almost like a sibling, while to people who are 40-50+ may see it as a very much younger step-brother/sister - quite distant but you still have to acknowledge it. Granted you may adapt to it, after accepting and trying it out but I don't think technology is destroying society...that's the MSM, Nicki Minaj and other souless things as such

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I personally preferred it when computers were the sole realm of the nerd. Despite what some think, it was still an intricate network of computers, but they'd make a designated call to a computer in a different region to send and receive any new sig posts or messages to your node.

So most networked bbs would disconnect you at 2am.

the internet killed that culture, and now all the people who would have called you a nerd for having a computer to do things you do "in real life anyway" back in those days, are jumping over themselves to get the latest ifruit product.

and the worst part is trying to get back that feel of intrigue instead feels out dated and obsolete.

I think seeing it all unfold in progression to where we are now, has kept me from getting onto those social networking things. Just reading random profiles leaves me shuddering at the state of who uses them as a window to their strange and twisted realities.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
When i read this, I rofl while trying hard not to pmsl, while thinking YOLO was the key to NWO, and HYUIT was to blame for all the PLIHOUGF.

The internet is killing society, language, and the economy.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

No the economy is so bad because manufacturing has been out sourced , The banks and corporations are taking free tax money for their efforts of ripping off it's customers . has nothing really to do with smart phones that are manufactured anywhere but in the usa.

Also I really hate voice mail seeing how many people will listen to the message just to hang up after they hear a beep .

I really don't get about peoples dislike about technology no one is forcing them to use it.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Like my grandma said 50 years ago. " That damn TV will be our ruination!" Grandma was always right. It has been down hill from there. The days of doing math in your head or with a pencil and paper are long gone. Technology is dumbing down the world little by little. There will be unintended consequences.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

No the economy is so bad because manufacturing has been out sourced , The banks and corporations are taking free tax money for their efforts of ripping off it's customers . has nothing really to do with smart phones that are manufactured anywhere but in the usa.

Also I really hate voice mail seeing how many people will listen to the message just to hang up after they hear a beep .

I really don't get about peoples dislike about technology no one is forcing them to use it.

You are so right...no one is forcing us to use it.. its just that people are interacting more with machines and less with "people" Its HARDER to reach people because of about 20 or more different constant and ever changing technology. Oh, and people are depending on technology (and getting dumber every day!)

Young people today DO NOT WANT TO WORK.. this is a whole other thead.. (Not all but MANY young consider "working" something that interferes with thier video games) Many of my 50 year old friends and neighbors have "failure to launch" kids living with them.... (I have 2 my self! 21 and 28!) If anyone is under 30..ask your self How many of your friends are living with their parents?

Don't blame the economy.. when I was 18 LIVED ON MY OWN I had 1 full time job.. 2 part time jobs a car and paid for my own apartment.. Then I started community college ( I saved and paid for) and wend to just 2 jobs....

"in the good old days" (eyes roll gasp oh no!) People would return calls, speak to you and interact with you. I am pointing out that its getting harder and harder to reach people..When email first came out ( early 80's?) I thought this is it.....Then SPAM was born!

Now there are "CAPTCA" forms and I have to type in "funky gibberish" of nonsense just to get an email to someone or fill out several screens of information, wade though surveys or pop up blockers....!

The REAL days of people talking to people are gone.. Its now social networking and I reject it all together.

I know that the jobs are overseas, and people are being "downsized" companies are closing.. When the currency is all revalued (we hope) or there is a global crash (hope not) maybe the world will balance out.

The GOOD news is that once most jobs go away.. and money is not a problem.. people will "wake up" and realise they are free to pursue their own interests.. It will happen one day...

Until then... I just remember when people talked to people and NOT gadgets and machines....

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Like my grandma said 50 years ago. " That damn TV will be our ruination!" Grandma was always right. It has been down hill from there. The days of doing math in your head or with a pencil and paper are long gone. Technology is dumbing down the world little by little. There will be unintended consequences.

What you said reminded me I saw last week a new clip about how the abacus is making a comeback here in Canada among some of the children .

The abacus, that ancient, no-batteries-required, bead-based calculator, is making a comeback in after-school programs across Canada. The schools, which are modelled after programs common across India and Japan, use the low-tech tool to teach children to perform complex calculations without the help of pen or paper. Dozens have taken root in Canada over the past eight years, mostly in areas dense with Southeast Asian immigrants.

Abacus article

The period 2700–2300 BC saw the first appearance of the Sumerian abacus, a table of successive columns which delimited the successive orders of magnitude of their sexagesimal number system.[6] Some scholars point to a character from the Babylonian cuneiform which may have been derived from a representation of the abacus.[7] It is the belief of Old Babylonian[8] scholars such as Carruccio that Old Babylonians "may have used the abacus for the operations of addition and subtraction; however, this primitive device proved difficult to use for more complex calculations"

wikipedia abacus

An abacus is a primitive calculator
The days of really doing math in our heads have been long long gone before me and you were here .

If the parent are not making sure their kids know to do math with out a calculator than that is their own fault as they are the ones providing their kids with a calculator

edit on 26/2/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
You're right you should delete your account here and turn that computer off immediately.

You know what technology is really destroying our society? Electric light. I mean, the sun goes down and you go to sleep, what are people doing up all hours of the night?? Think of the children!!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

It has never been easier to talk to some one than it is today with so many different mediums to choose from ( letter , email , phone , text , facebook . I have many family members scattered across canada without these tools I would assume there would even less contact .

I am 34 and it is very rare to find some one still living at home with mommy and daddy . People in their 20's i can understand a little more as rentals are expensive and trying to get a leg up ( this isn't the 60's anymore wages have not gone up enough to compete with cost of everything else going up ) or they are still in school still in school .

If your 28 year still lives at home and doesn't work , well maybe it time to get him off the tit .
Kick him out as you are the one allowing such behavior from your kids . If I don't work my kids and wife will starve If i don't work and pay the bills we will lose our house . You will not always be there to bail them out sadly i guess they didn't learn the proper life skills to function in our society and that has nothing to do with how much technology there is in the world .

ETA; who the hell wants to work lol we work because we have to provide . if people are just going to continue to provide for us into adulthood what is the point of working . sorry but that is something you have done to yourselves in that manner

Not trying to disrespect you by any means
edit on 26/2/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Actually, when i went to school we did not have calculators. We used a pen and piece of paper. Math, algebra problems were figured in your head. When calculators came along we were not allowed to bring them to school. It was considered cheating.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Einstein stated that "the first generation to value a computer more than human interaction, will be the first generation of idiots". Man was he onto something. What if everything we did with a computer, could be achieved with the mind instead? This is how the ancients could perceive things that the eye can't.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
If one was to say our dependence on technology is what is destroying progression of free thinking and breeding ignorance I would have to agree, but the technology it self is just a tool.

Just like a Gun, its the person holding it who pulls the trigger.

Technologies are created as tools for society, however when society relies dependently on those tools and forgets how things were done before the tools invention where does that leave society if not lost.

Its societies dependence on these things that is societies downfall.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

nanu nanuuu!

it's our school teachers, judges, reporters, big banks, corporations who is DESTROYING Our Society

its we the humans who are not smart enough to take our life back WITH New Technoogy!

oh brother..

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What's 'Technoogi'

The more technology we have, the more corporations are finding news ways of making us pay extra money for using it. Even mobile phone games these days require REAL cash for upgrades. Technology should be used to make less people poor, hungry, cold etc, but it's working the other way around.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
In my great grandfathers generation, it was about the working man versus the rockefellers and bankers. Nowadays, it's every man woman and child against the computers. Our soul is being sucked out of us from every direction. And the bankers and rothschilds are still here.

This may be the end of homo sapiens, I fear. Climate change and terrorism and overpopulation and resource depletion and mass extinction.... dare I say, this is a foregone conclusion.

I have my grave set up already. Got my rat poison for my retirement. Just waiting. The only thing I don't got is a bunker and enough rations to survive armageddon. I don't plan to survive.

The OP is wrong. Our future didn't end with computers. It ended when we crawled out of the caves and into cities. When we made farms and civilization. When we cut down Eden.

Right now, we're furnishing our replacements. See below:
spectrum.ieee.org -
Stunning Video of PETMAN Humanoid Robot From Boston Dynamics...

They're learning how to catch things, but the goal isn't to play catch with kids:
www.gizmag.com - Disney Research robot can juggle, play catch...

Some fun toys that they're calling Quadrocoptors, but lets not call them toys:
www.popsci.com - Inside The Swarming Quadrotor Lab Of KMel Robotics...

edit on 26-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

SnF OP cause I happen to agree with you and I'll site another angle to your premise. I've done at least one thread on the neg. effect's of today's computer technologies on society. In particular, on every legal system on the planet. As if obvious corruption of our legal system from police to politician weren't enough ?

Now days that same corruption has an alli by way of Computer Simulated images. See if I were placed on a jury ?
I couldn't render a verdict of guilty no matter the evidence, no matter the case. Because today you can watch a video of someone robbing a bank and shooting the guard. It's not even evidence to me. How would I know the cops didn't have something against the accused and fabricated all the evidence.

Even tho I wouldn't know for sure what the facts really were in particular. The corruption aided by technology casts a shadow of doubt from the beginning of any case any where. The prosecution fights an up hill battle before the trial has even started in my mind. And with me sitting on the jury, if he never even realizes he needs to prove the evidence solid ? There's no way I could deliberate a guilty verdict with a clear conscience.

And everyone seems to be ignoring this.
edit on 26-2-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join