It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if God offered you a deal of either these two choices which one would you pick?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I refuse to answer because both choices suck. Why can't we live a long time and still enjoy the fruits of the Earth? Can someone point out the purpose of this thread to me?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This doesn't sound like a deal with God, but instead a deal with satan.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I thought at first this was an easy question, it's not! 10,000 years would have been the first choice until I thought about how many people I would watch die that I loved. So I don't think I would take either. Rich and famous just seems to bring problems. Great question!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Ten thousand years of wandering in a world like this? I'll take the short way and go out in comfort.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zero1020

there is a third option its live the ordinary one lifetime with all the tribualations and ordeals of the average joe or jane to contend with. Look at it like this God is like some fat civil servant with excess budget he needs to spend up on humanity before the universal financial year is over, so he does it by providing some random person the choice of these two options.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I could accumulate a ton of knowledge but for what, I couldn't change anything, I couldn't make meaningfull relationships

I don't follow your critique.

Why can't you continue to form new relationships?

Why can't you 'change the world' with the knowledge?

I think what the poster meant...you would find it hard to form any relationship if persons around you are not in the same state as you.

Since you adressed that issue already, by stating that such situation would imply choice for everybody...but I'm not sure that's what the OP meant.

Only if...everybody gets to choose...but if you are somehow given this choice...you and you alone...than choosing 10000 would probably get you crazy in a couple of hundreds.

How can you be with someone "mortal"...knowing what you know ?

How would you change the world...no one would believe you ?

btw. you didn't need to change avatar pics...man boobs are ok in 21st century

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

It wasn't their health. One of them still drove and walked her little dog. It's the fact they had out lived everyone they knew. That is a depressing thought. When your grandchildren start dying of heart disease, then you're probably past your expiration date.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I think the big question everyone is missing here is: what is our reason for continuing to live?

That's where we should start.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
ONE LIFE TIME.

I'm looking forward to being released from this human body prison and to enter the etherial. There is NO WAY I'd take any deal that would make me stay here in physical form any longer than absolutely necessary.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I could accumulate a ton of knowledge but for what, I couldn't change anything, I couldn't make meaningfull relationships

I don't follow your critique.

Why can't you continue to form new relationships?

Why can't you 'change the world' with the knowledge?

Because all of your relationships would be terminal and one sided within the context of your own lifespan. To form a positive relationship, close friendship or love relationship it would ultimately end in possible hundreds of years of emotional pain. The other option is to become callous and non-human about relationships, eg. she was just fresh meat.

There are strings attached to the deal, if you were known as the only person on earth that could live a hundred lifetimes, you would achieve a certain amount of fame, which of course brings luxury and wealth. Since you can neither have luxury or wealth, it would seem logical that your gift remain a secret and every 20 years or so you would have to change your name, How much credibility would someone have changing their name every 20 years? You could know the secrets of the universe and still be considered and idiot savant or an interesting anomaly. Idiots and anomolies don't change the world for the better, just look at obama and harper for proof.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 2/27.2013 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
While having an unnaturally long life at first seems awfully tempting, I can't help but think about Cartaphilus, and his depiction in the movie The Seventh Sign ... for those who have not seen it, the weight of such a curse was so great that he did everything in his power to bring about the end of the world so as to end his "life" sentence.

As far as the other choice, I do not find the enjoyment of things I did not earn particularly appealing, where all of that wealth really came from (the backs of everyone else) would weigh on me heavily. Also, as others have said, without the struggles and lessons life has to offer I would learn very little and become a lame person in general, so that's a non-starter.

No, I think I am destined to live an unnaturally SHORT life (having CF) and a meager one materially at that, and it is something I have learned to accept and embrace.
My apologies if my answer seems evasive and is not really what you are looking for, but it really did make me think and this is how I honestly feel.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
If god existed, why would ANYONE live for 10,000 years? when you could live a regular lifetime and then spend eternity in heaven being happy and having your 76 virgins or whatever you get? haha

I keeeed the religion, thread is pointless, god doesn't exist.
edit on 27-2-2013 by AverageWang because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Who the hell would want to live 10,000 years???

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Easy choice - 10,000 years please.

Even at a very young age I've been fascinated by people, their behaviours, and the trends/impact that has on humanity as a whole. I'd love to see how it all plays out

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I would consider the 10,000 years if I they could be on my terms.

Terms:
Go back in time 10,000 years
Perfect health and soundness of body and mind
Not get chopped up, burned, buried, or stuck on the bottom of the ocean or anything of the like as posted previously.
Gaureented to roam freely & safely
Knowledge, wisdom, and love not defined as wealth
Be able to speak the many languages & communicate

If that were possible, I would choose to go back in time 10,000 years. I think it would be fantastic to see the rise of man kind, kingdoms rise and fall and the history of the ages. Since I would have to travel often there wouldn't be any portion of history that would elude me.

Relationships come and go. Even as the mortals we are currently, we know that our loved ones are only here for a period and can be gone at any moment. Love and live to the fullest, know that time is fleeting.

I would then spend my final 500 years or so writing and cataloging everything I had seen and experienced as well as where I may have left artifacts for the future.

If I couldn't go back in time? Then I would tap the guy next to me on the shoulder next to me, and tell him God has an offer for him.

ETA: Puma Punku - Solved, Nazca-Solved, Pyramids-Solved, ..... et al.
edit on 27-2-2013 by miner49r because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2013 by miner49r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
since I really don't want to live that long, I would chose the normal lifetime with the benefits

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

10,000 years easily. After far less than 100 years, things like wealth and "vice", etc. Completely lose their allure. 10,000 years of gaining knowledge and experiences. 10,000 years of interpersonal relationships. 10,000 years of watching human progress...yep, hands down, give me the ultra-longevity without the abundance of material things. Don't even need to think twice.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'd go with the former... A lack of material wealth does not mean unhappiness. In the latter scenario, you would not necessarily be happy even with all of the material comforts and vice available. This has been proven time and time again.... Money doesn't buy happiness.... In the 10 k scenario, you get apparently enough money to survive, I take it you would also have enough to travel on the cheap..

Also the 10000 year option would be incredibly interesting.. you could see the world change over the years.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Originally posted by WeRpeons

Is this a trick question?
My mind says I should choose the second choice, but I think the correct choice would be the first one. However, I wouldn't want to live that long. I would miss everyone that passed before me.

Now that I think about it, neither one. It's a trick question.

You give basically the same answer I would and you brought up an important point. Mankind is a social animal, we make connections, we have friends, enemies, family and lovers. What benefit is there in living 10,000 years if you can't share it? What benefit is there in living 10,000 years if you can't change the world to make it a better place? What benefit is there in watching the people you love waste away and die? One would have to pretty self-centric to take the 10,000 year option as all it would bring is knowledge without emottional supports. 10,000 years ahh, I could accumulate a ton of knowledge but for what, I couldn't change anything, I couldn't make meaningfull relationships, it would be like being totally sentient, knowing everything but living in a pain amplifier.

The 100 year option, again is problematic, it's superficial. What you do again requires ego-centrism, it's all about "you" and the moment. Another problem is what if the receiver of this offer is a psychopath? It would seem that every (depraved) desire to be fulfilled would cover a lot of ground I sure wouldn't want to tread on, gain the world, lose your soul? Having that kind of power, to do anything, breeds its own form of contempt for life and people, I'd pass on this one.

Wish vending machine or Cosmic Muffin... The Agnostics prayer, "Dear God, if there is a God, save my soul, if I have a soul."

Neither option is good as you cannot even have the illusion of control over your future, which is at least what we have now, the illusio of control. I think I would respectively decline the two offers and simply ask if we could go to lunch and talk about the meaning of life.

Cheers - Dave

Who says you could only absorb knowledge for yourself? I think a legendary 10,000 year older wise man could do a lot of good as a teacher. You'd become like a Yoda or Buddha type of person. Improving people's lives with your knowledge goes a long way. I get the most gratification from helping people, if I spent 10,000 years as a roaming helper guy, what's self centered about that? Who says you must be an antisocial hermit with knowledge you keep to yourself? Can I ask, how are you going to change the world in this current short life? I think 10,000 years would give you a better chance of achieving change than 80.

As far as death goes I've already lost a lot of people I love in this short life. I've lost a nephew to a health defect, I've experienced deaths by murder, suicide, drug overdose, war, disease, car accidents, and old age, and I still have a good chunk of life ahead of me, so I'm sure there will be more. While it hurts every time, it's never made me hate living my life. it depends on the person I guess. Some accept death as reality, others fall into self pity.

The idea of a simple life isn't hell to me at all though. I prefer it. I'm not materialistic at all. I don't think riches would make me happier. Even if i struck the mega lotto jackpot I'd still live as simple and frugal as possible. The american dream was never really my idea of dream living.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
2 major criteria would sway my decision. Would the good health be immortality? I would explore every nook and cranny of the world if I could, but if I get killed something then the deal would be off. If I could walk on the rim of a volcano knowing for certain that god would not let me die, or perhaps venture to the bottom of the ocean in a sub knowing it would never be crushed... I'd live for 10k years. I would know this planet better than God himself by the time I was to go.

The second criteria would be life after death. I wouldn't care what happened to me in this world if I knew that something was on the other side. Currently... this place can suck.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join