It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if God offered you a deal of either these two choices which one would you pick?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by creatives

Indeed...table for one. To live that long without going crazy...you would need to evolve.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I was going to say option two, then I thought about it.

Would it be possible, that although you can't have any material wealth, to have intrinsic wealth? Perhaps bring to life the idea of the philosopher kings where those in power aren't rich or extravagant, but instead have what they need, some of what they want and they ensure that others have all they ever need and lead in a way that doesn't seek money and power?

I like the addition of not staying very long in one place, that would prevent your imprisonment since you would be held in one place against your will. I wouldn't need tons of money or a lot of material goods, but would like to be someone with the "power" to lead others to a better life. Not power in the sense of "everybody works for me and are afraid of me" but power in the sense that others listen to what I have to say, that they follow the wisdom that would be gained through so many years and be able to take humanity forward and learn to appreciate one another more.

I'd like to make compassion, knowledge, learning, helping, responsibility and community the foundations of our world instead of money and power. If I were allowed, by the stipulations, to do that, then I would choose the first.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly

Indeed...table for one. To live that long without going crazy...you would need to evolve.

"Attachment is the origin, the root of suffering; hence it is the cause of suffering."
– The Dalai Lama

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Well I did briefly in first post. I would want to exist as a living being. 10000 years of being alive opposed to 10000 years of being dead. I love existing that much
How many years could I spend mastering all the sciences all the arts. How much already availabe is ready to be learned and enjoyed if only you had the time. Now thats just the current knowledge. Add all the new knowledge, all the new technology, all the new discoveries, that life would continue to add to the wealth of possible things to spend ones time on. Not to meantion dreaming. I wouldnt mind dedicating 2/3 of my life to that for thousands of more years! Basically, I would exist. I believe I would be happy doing so.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

If living is attachment, and attachment is bad, why doesn't the Dalai Lama end his life?
edit on 26-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by Druscilla

Thats the point i was hoping someone would draw out in the debate its a lucklustre deal. Its catch 22 situation damned if you do, damned if you dont either option you take.

Druscilla the Vending machine idea why do you like that?

The god myth is a ridiculous crutch, and though it's amusing, and even fascinating from anthropological, sociological and psychological perspectives, it's also abhorrent, as well as near pathetically and pathologically childish.
Further, I wouldn't recognize the claimed authority of any personality impersonating god-hood regardless any demonstrative evidence they care to submit.
The concept of any god is additionally an affront to self ownership, and accountability. Saying there's any magical mystery personality lurking about like some storm cloud watching your every move is just creepy. GTFOML (Get the eff out muh life), ya know?

Besides that, there's no unambiguous historical evidence of any god doing anything ... godly.
The ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Aztecs, Vikings, and whatever else believed and paid homage to their gods just as fervently as any sweaty tent revival snake dancing Christian today; all of them to no better or worse benefit or harm than if they hadn't.
The entire history of mankind as well as the geological history of the planet is completely attributable to a history of mankind, and the planet with zero actual gods incarnate, or influences from such.
There are, on the other hand valid debates for the benefits brought about as a by-product of belief in any given mythology, but, that's another other matter altogether.

Vending machines are friendlier, and you can fairly kick them to some satisfaction when the item you pay for doesn't pop out.
That, and a vending machine, even a 'magical' vending machine would be more akin to getting exactly what you 'pay' for. Typically, the only tricks a vending machine will play are the ones that happen when they malfunction, in which case, you can kick them repeatedly, and if necessary, contact the service number for recourse.

Using the 'g' word just carries way too much historical baggage, while a vending machine is, well, just a stupid vending machine.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I'd be like "Ok, I'll play your little game, but on 2 conditions"

And he'd be like "Sure, no problemo my brother"

Then I'd say "Firstly, when it's all done and dusted, I get to go back to being super immortal omnipresent oneness"

"Secondly, you have to play as well AND whichever option I choose, you gotta do the other one mmmkay"

Then he'd be like "Sounds reasonable"

Then I float over to the panel and press the button for option B

Then he'd be like "Sweet, good choice, just like everybody else, Oh I forgot to tell you, which ever option you choose, I'm actually sending you to the other one - until you learn the importance of LIFE...see you in 10,000 years brah - LOL"

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Well I did briefly in first post. I would want to exist as a living being. 10000 years of being alive opposed to 10000 years of being dead. I love existing that much
How many years could I spend mastering all the sciences all the arts. How much already availabe is ready to be learned and enjoyed if only you had the time. Now thats just the current knowledge. Add all the new knowledge, all the new technology, all the new discoveries, that life would continue to add to the wealth of possible things to spend ones time on. Not to meantion dreaming. I wouldnt mind dedicating 2/3 of my life to that for thousands of more years! Basically, I would exist. I believe I would be happy doing so.

Careful. All that accumulated knowledge, memory and experience could be considered "wealth" and you could spend 10,000 years getting your memory completely wiped every few decades as part of the bargain in the fine print.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

There's lots of tricky sticky bits to the 10k deal. If those tricky bits couldn't be worked out, then ...

Its like highlander you cant die unless your head is severed then you die a normal death. So avoid having your head chopped off and all other parts regenerate to health if severed or damaged.

So how would you amuse yourself with all the time in the world on your hands.
edit on 26-2-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Trixter god's version of Alzheimer's disease
I might just go with being a movie star after all.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

If living is attachment, and attachment is bad, why doesn't the Dalai Lama end his life?
edit on 26-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

You misunderstood. Living is not an attachment...but living with attachments is what Lama meant.

Anyway...I feel what you say...that certainly comes to mind...the possibilities of learning. However...I have lived here on this earth for 37 years now...and I'm a bit sick of having to learn constantly. After u few hundreds of years...I think that learning new stuff...becomes a bit of burden. The motivation slowly fades in to eternity.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

There's lots of tricky sticky bits to the 10k deal. If those tricky bits couldn't be worked out, then ...

Its like highlander you cant die unless your head is severed then you die a normal death. So avoid having your head chopped off and all other parts regenerate to health if severed or damaged.

So how would you amuse yourself with all the time in the world on your hands.
edit on 26-2-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

Still no deal.

Tricksy trickster vending machine still gets sold for scrap if I'm forced into being a pauper vagabond.
If there was a point based system for negotiation, I'd negotiate sticking points at the cost of X years per accessorized feature.

For instance, if I want the sun-roof option that gives me at least middle class standing as opposed to the convertible option that allows attainment (allows attainment doesn't mean automatically gives) of at least McMansion status, the options might cut the 10k lifespan down to 8k or 5k, all depending the point value of the accessories chosen where fully loaded everything would work out to equal option #2.

Customization with no fine print, all incidentals accounted for, and I might work out something.

Further, if I'm still dealing with the Christian god, I'd require a legal team from Hell working in my favor, since, according mythology, Hell has all the best lawyers.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I would pick option 1.

One lifetime is not enough to see the wonders of the world.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

btw...that avatar looks as if having man boobs...

just sayin'...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Learning would be an option just as it is now
I would want that option though. Something death might not grant. This is extended life not eternity. Death and whats next still comes. Really it makes perfect sense why one would want to if said person believes they would be content. Likewise for those that believe they would be miserable with an extended life why they would choose early death.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I think you are not grasping the entire situation. And this is where the Dalai comes in...

After everybody you have known has died...your friends, lovers, children...and few times over...this is where non attachment comes in...if you want to really "learn" and live thousands of years.

I sincerely recommend watching a film "A man from Earth"...somewhat deals with this question.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Hahah, never saw it that way... damn you! what has been seen, cannot be unseen now!!!

lol he suppose to look build... but from a side angle it looks like he has a bump lol.
edit on 2/26/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Further, if I'm still dealing with the Christian god, I'd require a legal team from Hell working in my favor, since, according mythology, Hell has all the best lawyers.

Ok Druscillia i think im reading yur subliminal message. You want to be like a high priestess of an army of male and mabey female slaves for say 10,000 years or its a no deal. Now really the special Delux sports model third option deals are for the reptillians illuminati bloodlines.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
no deal either way. Freedom to make ones own destiny is a far better choice than having your life dictated to you by a magic vending machine. A life of luxury and vice is devoid of true love, A life of poverty and knowledge is devoid of sanity.

Death is what makes life worth living its a time limit that seems so long at first then seems to short towards the end. live longer than the rest you watch everything you love and hold dear wither and fade into the void while you are forced to wait to join them. live with wealth and luxury you miss out on the struggle that makes you a worthy member of the human race. In fact from what I have seen of those who were born into wealth they have lost most of their humanity due in part that it is the struggle to survive that makes us human. Struggle breeds compassion and understanding.

Also the 10k lifespan could go horribly wrong. fall down a well and no one finds you... mafia decides you need concrete shoes... Some holy nutcase figures out you struck a deal and thinks its with the wrong god along time to spend burned and buried alive.
edit on 26-2-2013 by oasisjack because: makes you shudder huh

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I wonder what impact a person's age would have on their response. I'm 50, and the prospect of living another 9,950 years is mortifying, but if you'd have asked me when I was 20, I'd have probably said "give me the 10,000 year plan."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join