It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LAPD buys and then sells . . . GUNS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I wish I were kidding and this weren't actually the topic of a recent filing in Court by a 25 year veteran of the LAPD. However, I'm not kidding and it is, in fact a filing.

LOS ANGELES (CN) - Los Angeles police officers bought and sold guns from the police armory for profit, and told the lieutenant in charge of the armory to "watch his back" after he reported it, the 25-year LAPD veteran claims in court.

Err.... oops. I'd say this takes the cake but it's probably more like the whole bakery truck for this level of ..ahem.. fail.

"In or around May 2010, plaintiff initiated a detailed audit of Metro's inventory of firearms," the complaint states. "While performing the weapons audit, plaintiff learned that both officers within the unit and civilians were purchasing special LAPD SWAT-stamped Kimber firearms intended for official use. Plaintiff also discovered that the officers within the unit were possibly reselling these Kimber firearms for large profits to people outside of Metro SWAT - to LAPD officers of various ranks, including captains, plaintiff's own commanding officer, Captain * * * * *, and to non-LAPD civilian personnel. Plaintiff also discovered that the officers, unbeknownst to Kimber (the manufacturer), were allowing Cinema Weaponry to purchase these pistols at discounted price, and were allowing Lucas Ranch Gun Sales to facilitate the transfer of the pistols from Kimber to the officers. Plaintiff also discovered records indicating that Officer * * * * * and other officers were facilitating the sales of the Kimber firearms to these other non-Metro LAPD officers, non-LAPD civilians, and gun dealers."
Source (I blanked out specific names, although the link has them quoted as per the filing)

Okay, now that is just rude. Those are nice guns too. I wonder what kind of back door deals these protectors of the laws (California gun laws, let's consider.....strict isn't saying enough) were getting and giving for them? So much for being loyal enforcers of gun laws, eh? They were also gun dealers.

Now with dedicated law enforcers like this keeping guns off the street, who needs new laws? After all, those we have are followed, right? At least, they're followed by the very people charged with enforcing them, aren't they?

If the Feds were Fast and Furious, we can just call this Fast and Foolish, eh? Wow... Some days, it's breathtaking.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
WOW. Kimbers? Couldn't they get by with Springfield 1911s? You wonder why Mexifornia is in trouble.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
If anyone still believes that police are here to protect and serve...You are complete idiots.

Police are no longer here to help or aid us in times of trouble. They are just thugs being trained to not only treat us as cattle but they are also being brain washed to believe they are the final word.

I truly feel sorry for anyone that has one of these criminals in their circle of family or friends because you are being misled. When it comes time, you will be at the business end of a gun no matter how you are related to these scum.

And then you will ask "How can you do this?"...but it will be too late.

Argue with me all you want but my beliefs are being proven to be true more and more each day.

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well, I do come from a law enforcement household in my upbringing. I have a great deal of respect for law enforcement in general and to this day. The more I've been listening to the local scanner in the background at times, the more I've been reminded what a crappy job they really do across the vast majority of their time. Things that MUST be done but no one in their right mind wants the hassle or headache of doing.

That being said, the criminals who happen to be wearing badges HAVE to go. This is a problem nation wide, obviously and right into the cores of the largest departments in the nation. Places like Detroit, Chicago and New York are certainly not immune by any means. LAPD sure has a major hypocrisy problem to go with the corruption though. They talk the talk for cleaning things up and have since I was living there to hear it after the King riots myself. Nothing much has changed though. Nothing much at all.

How sad....and as long as good cops who aren't dirty allow this to go on? They'll have about the same low respect and near disgust from the public as the ones who really deserve it, IMO.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh I see......

Gun laws only apply to us common folk.

Of course, that is the LAPD soooooooo.......
Well, you know......

----------------

ETA: Guess Pelosi needs to fix the LAPD 'gun loophole' while she's at it......

edit on 26-2-2013 by snarky412 because: grrrrr.......

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by jude11

Well, I do come from a law enforcement household in my upbringing. I have a great deal of respect for law enforcement in general and to this day. The more I've been listening to the local scanner in the background at times, the more I've been reminded what a crappy job they really do across the vast majority of their time. Things that MUST be done but no one in their right mind wants the hassle or headache of doing.

That being said, the criminals who happen to be wearing badges HAVE to go. This is a problem nation wide, obviously and right into the cores of the largest departments in the nation. Places like Detroit, Chicago and New York are certainly not immune by any means. LAPD sure has a major hypocrisy problem to go with the corruption though. They talk the talk for cleaning things up and have since I was living there to hear it after the King riots myself. Nothing much has changed though. Nothing much at all.

How sad....and as long as good cops who aren't dirty allow this to go on? They'll have about the same low respect and near disgust from the public as the ones who really deserve it, IMO.

I do understand your plight...seriously.

The real issue is that the bad far out weighs the good when it comes to law enforcement these days. And it's only getting worse.

My suggestion is that those who want to truly help the citizens just stop. Stop trying to work with the system and stand with the people who are trying to fight for their rights.

Sooner or later there will be that divide and the LEO'S that still work for the lies will be brought down...by the very people they swore to protect.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Not all police are bad plus they have to take a lot of crap off people i would like to see any of you be cool calm and collective as the same day you graduated law school they see a lot of sick stuff and also stop a lot of sick stuff its enough to change anyone for the worse so its no surprise a lot of them come across as assholes when they spend most of their life around them.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MX44K
Not all police are bad plus they have to take a lot of crap off people i would like to see any of you be cool calm and collective as the same day you graduated law school they see a lot of sick stuff and also stop a lot of sick stuff its enough to change anyone for the worse so its no surprise a lot of them come across as assholes when they spend most of their life around them.

Not all citizens are bad but they are treated as such.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Nice.

So is this a loophole, or this outright illegal?

Here's the problem. Metropolitan Police forces have NO checks or balances. The unwritten law of the LEO's, that code of "silence" needs to be broken. God forbid the average citizen makes a stink about it. Would we have heard about it, if an officer didn't bring it up? This is when those who are upset by the corruption, organize in force and demand some change.

S&F

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Now that is a point I find impossible to argue and probably the heart of the problem for ever really being able to relate between cops and normal people in general. They do come to treat all normal people as guilty of something until proven otherwise and all other cops as innocent until proven twice, at least. That's not always true, of course. It is often enough to do the damage though, isn't it?

Departments running gun dealing operations or much worse in some cases (Some LAPD Divisions have had more than simple gun running scams in the past) sure do hurt the old public relations though, eh? How many cops had to have known some or all of this was going on? I'll bet far more than we even want to know.

By their own laws, it's a crime to know and do nothing though, isn't it? After all, improper selling of a firearm in California of all places, is a major felony. What would Feinstein have to say about it, I wonder?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
A certain percentage of cops are blatant crooks. It’s pretty simple, really. It’s probably not a massive percentage, but any number is more than enough for society to tar the lot with the same brush.

“"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.” - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, First Baron Acton

These thugs hold too much power in their hands. They can gun down an innocent man in the street, say something like “He was reaching for a weapon! I feared for my life!" and then have a payed holiday afterward with little chance of even losing their job let alone facing a murder charge. They’re scum.

When I have to deal with police, I am very polite and give them a bit of time and just see how they treat me at the beginning of our encounter. If they’re nice and respectful then that’s fine - they’re a good egg. If they’re not. If they’re just some clown on a power trip then they’re treated how they’ve treated me. That surely cannot warrant arrest.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

How many cops had to have known some or all of this was going on? I'll bet far more than we even want to know.

Sadly, I bet you are correct.

Perez, who joined the LAPD in 1987, claims he was retaliated against, suspended and threatened after he discovered, through his job as "Officer in Charge of the Armory," that officers in the Metropolitan Division were buying and reselling guns to other officers, civilians and gun dealers.

As long as they fear for their jobs/retaliation, they will never admit to seeing/knowing any wrong doing.

-----------------

I see nothing
I hear nothing
Therefore I know nothing

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Wonder if the whistleblower will be the next fugitive from LAPD?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Change the policy: No Gun Sales from the Armory. IF cops want to buy more guns than they are issued then they need to buy them from an FFL who supplies the police (probably still at a relative discount).

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Wonder if the whistleblower will be the next fugitive from LAPD?

That's exactly where I was gonna go with this.

Dorner, False Flag, Free speech.

edit on 26-2-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
From what I've read/seen -- the "bad cops" usually find their way to the top of the food chain. When this is the case, it's hard to root out the corruption.

I'm sure there are good cops -- most of those are probably older ones.

There's a saying about politicians: "Good people don't get into politics". Sadly, each year that goes by the same could be said for people entering into law enforcement.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Kimber makes some sexy firearms, that's for sure. I've had one on my list for a while, the price can be daunting though... No wonder they were selling them back ..

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Not at all shocked by this LAPD worse police Department in the entire Country so many previous scandals and what not Rampart Rodney King list goes on and on

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I lived in LA in the seventies and eighties. I remember then that arms were being sold by the LAPD with clearance from the top; “Daryl Gates”. I couldn't believe it then and it doesn’t surprise me now. Nixon even weighed in and excused LA's beloved "Gates". As I recall it was around the Iran Contra and Hostage situation. Well it had to be before since Carter was president for that so I guess it would have been around the time of Watergate. I found this link for now but, will post another as soon as I find the reference to it.
LA TImes Gun Sales Daryl gates and Nixon, notice date of article

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MX44K

Having lived in LA in the 70's - 80's, I clearly remember that most residents knew when you got pulled over, you pulled to the side of the road turned off your car and put your hands up till the officer approached and communication was established that you were of no threat. This was common knowledge then to the residents of LA (Chime in if you remember). My point is (though it is not right. It is the way it is. When you live in LA you realize that there are better chances to get hurt or killed then by being assisted by a policeman when needed, not because they don't work but, because they are so busy.) This is the point why people knew and respected the unwritten law of showing your hands in the air during that time. We were all grateful that the police were there and easily followed the unspoken requirements. There is nothing like mouthing off to an officer who has been working an 8:00 hr shift and had just almost been shot or whatever else happened after his regular shift.

You just didn't mouth off back then. It is the way it is in Los Angeles because of the special circumstances of gangs and crimes and everyone knows what to do when they get pulled over that lived there. So if your license plate was from another state you were excused from knowing this but, If California was your plate and you didn't do these things you were approached with gun in hand simply because of the unspoken respected rule at the time. I thought it was good because every time I needed a cop (which was plenty in LA) they were there and when I got pulled over I understood the pressure they were under and had no problem going an extra inch to raise my hands into clear view till communications were established and it became clear I was not a threat.

People say this is a police state and (especially in LA) they are right but again, it couldn’t work any other way. The crime stats show it, and courtesy by a citizen is received with respect. Yes there are exceptions to this where cops take things too far but, in general if you show respect to them, they sometimes will actually just warn you if you show respect first.

Really enjoyed your point.

But on topic of guns, this is total curruption and I would bet it starts up top and the money is pooled for specail investments
edit on 27-2-2013 by BewilderedandAmused because: Typo

new topics

top topics

join