It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Difference Between the UK, Great Britain and England Explained...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Some say that Scotland and it's people remain a sovereign nation, in that it can't ever be assumed that on union with England in 1707 that the new British parliament inherited only the English notion of sovereignty ... that is that "the King or Queen in parliament assembled" is sovereign and no other.

The Scottish tradition before the union was that the people are sovereign, not parliament and not the monarch.

That way of thinking is backed up by Scottish Court of Session judgments in the 1950's.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

The definition of sovereignty is an illusive one however in general I would argue that sovereignty is whereby a recognised nation has absolute authority over its geographical area independent of external forces. This includes authority over its economy, law and means of defence and is often called a “nation state” or a sovereign nation (or state).

Scotland is not a sovereign nation by any means we do not have independent authority over our geographical area as we don’t have the authority to conduct our own foreign affairs or to defend ourselves nor do we really have economic sovereignty as we don’t have our own currency.

Yes we are a nation but we are not a sovereign nation that is why there is a push by some political players to bring about Scottish independence so that Scotland can become a true state by gaining impendence and becoming a sovereign nation.

Even if you want to argue that Scotland is sovereign the video claims that England, Northern Ireland and Wales is are also “Sovereign nations” that is simply not true nor is it true to say that Northern Ireland and Wales have their own parliament or that we all hate each other as the video also claims. Yes the national assemblies may have devolved powers but they are not parliaments.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

There are indeed differences between all three of the devolved legislative bodies - Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and the Northern Ireland Assembly.

To be honest until reading this thread and your post I had assumed that the three had more or less the same powers but this document explains exactly how they differ;
www.parliament.uk...

To be honest I'll have to re-read it a couple of times for the details to sink in - as dreaded middle-age begins to take it's toll it takes longer for me to assimilate large pieces of information.

Some informative stuff coming out of this thread, I honestly thought I was relatively well clued up on the UK and it's constituent parts etc.

And you are quite correct; we don't hate each other, far from it, it's a popular myth that some like to foster for various reasons - that is until it comes to sport.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

The proper current title is "United Kingdom of Great Britain"

or just "Best country ever"

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziplock9000
reply to post by ObservingYou

The proper current title is "United Kingdom of Great Britain"

or just "Best country ever"

"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
England is the Island of Dajjal.... Sorry but its true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join