Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The ridicularity of advertising in the 21st Century... a gastric cramp on my cerebellum

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is the target demographic of modern advertising a chimpanzee? The absolute worst are the "only sold on TV ads"... the same junk you can find in Wal-Mart's "as seen on TV" section... like the commercial for the earwax vacuum thingey. A man screams out in pain as if he just thrust the q-tip in his ear so hard that he obviously thought he was checking his oil... followed by a doctor saying "don't ever do that"... really? Has the WWE and Jerry Springer dumbed the average American so far that they know not what they do in respect to cramming crap in their ear canals? Or the idiots hammering holes in their drywall trying to drive a simple nail... "Has this ever happened to you?" ... Why no, actually, that hasn't ever happened to me... you see I learned a long time ago the simple hand eye co-ordination required to hit the head of said nail without missing the intended target by 18" to the left causing my hammer to destroy the priceless copy of "Dogs Playing Poker, a study in acrylics on black velvet". The US Gov't PSAs are even worse. Like the one targeting kids saying they can be superheroes by eating right, complete with a cool web site for kids to log on to... really? How jacked up are the parental controls on your computer, that the ONLY thing remotely entertaining for your kids is a "cool" web site about carrots and g-rated x-ray vision? Really? (What ATSer doesn't have their computers blocking all .gov domains anyway
)
If they are gonna pander to us, at least throw in a topless model or two, really...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

We see what works....

Think about that.

Says a lot about the average consumer.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Or at least what it says about the people who sit on "focus groups" for these ads... the O2 must be thin in those little rooms

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Did you say ear wax vacuum cleaner?

That sounds Awesome!!!!
How much are they and where can I get one?
edit on 25/2/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Did you say ear wax vacuum cleaner?

That sounds Awesome!!!!
How much are they and where can I get one?
edit on 25/2/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

If you watch TBS at all in the evenings you will see the ad... usually during Big Bang Theory which seems axiomatic... weird

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
gastric cramp on my cerebellum,

Is that like an ice cream headache?

Have the pharmaceutical companies come up with a cure?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

not yet, and gastric distress anywhere in the brain always leads to brain farts...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here in the UK I am going mental when the voiceovers in adverts talk as if we are 3 yr olds. The worst was Tesco, using a woman who had a very child like voice already speaking literally as if she was talking to very small children.

Other adverts do the same with imagery, sometimes I ask my husband if this is a kid's program or an advert. People jumping, colourful and often accompanied by this horrid lilt of a voice that your aunty used to do when you were small.

Infantilisation of the nation is well and truly here. Couple that with the craze for "onesies" [or baby/toddler suits to call them what they really are], worn by adults. I sometimes really despair.

The worst is that most people do not notice...sad.

top topics

join