It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MYO armband will allow people to control computer displays like Minority Report and many more uses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I will preface this by saying I'm not affiliated with MYO, so I'm not spamming the board, just showing some cool technology that I ran across. Also I'm typing this up at work really quickly, so please pardon my errors and I'll try to correct them later.

It's called MYO:

Using groundbreaking technology, MYO is able to measure electrical activity in your muscles instantly.

The result is a seamless way to interact with computers, and a truly magical sense of control.

Source getmyo.com...

How it works:

The MYO senses gestures and movements in two ways: 1) muscle activity, and 2) motion sensing. When sensing the muscle movements of the user, the device can detect changes in hand gesture right down to each individual finger. When tracking the positioning in space of the arm and hand, the device can detect subtle movements all directions.

Source: getmyo.com...

The video is what really shows off the technology though.

The video basically shows people controlling various devices with by doing gestures with their arm. They show one guy controlling iTunes by snapping his finger to start a song, and pretending to turn a volume knob clockwise to turn up the volume. It also shows a guy controlling a remote controlled hover copter by gesturing his hand like an airplane. It showed a presenter giving a presentation controlling the display on the projection (ala Minority Report), a guy playing a video game, and some other similar examples.

I could see MYO having many beneficial uses from sign language to text to doctors illustrating intricate surgical techniques; who knows maybe even military applications?

They are doing pre-orders for $145 in a limited fashion, but I'm not sure I'll be getting one because I would want to see if this type of technology catches on and let them get the bugs out, but they claim to have an API which lets developers develop things for use with the MYO, and I'd be more interested in getting one with that in mind

So what does ATS think? Next big thing, or just another flop?

edit on 25-2-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I am looking at the webpage right now, but so far, it seems like a very cool device.
Finally a really smart thing that is not about surveillance!

But what is the interface with the computer when for example controlling an AR-Drone. I can not find any info about that on the webpage.
Is the MYO programmable itself, or does it link with a computer that receives the signals and then send them in turn to the AR-Drone? I would imagine that something needs to be in between as an interpreter.
If not, and it is just possible to hook MYO straight up to anything, I am getting one as soon as I can!

Hmm it uses Bluetooth...

So that means unless one is in the couch and the computer is in front on the table, there will be some problems with the connection. That is at least my normal day to day experience with Bluetooth.
Shame the MYO does not use Wifi.

Ok a bit more research and the Bluetooth v4.0 that MYO uses does not seem to bad.

Bluetooth v4.0 is described by the Bluetooth SIG as a versatile combination of three different Bluetooth protocols--the classic Bluetooth we know and love, the low-energy Bluetooth, and the high-speed Bluetooth. The three faces of Bluetooth v4.0 can be implemented individually or in combination with each other.

One of the defining characteristics of Bluetooth--especially compared with Wi-Fi--is the short range. Standard Bluetooth devices are generally restricted to about a 30 foot range in order to maintain the wireless connection. With Bluetooth v4.0, it's possible to optimize the range of Bluetooth devices up to 200 feet or more.

PcWorld
edit on 25-2-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
A similar device is LEAP motion controller, it uses two cameras.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
NICE !!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
I am looking at the webpage right now, but so far, it seems like a very cool device.
Finally a really smart thing that is not about surveillance!

But what is the interface with the computer when for example controlling an AR-Drone. I can not find any info about that on the webpage.
Is the MYO programmable itself, or does it link with a computer that receives the signals and then send them in turn to the AR-Drone? I would imagine that something needs to be in between as an interpreter.
If not, and it is just possible to hook MYO straight up to anything,

I'm thinking that the the drone, was programmed to interface with MYO's API in such a way that it could interpret the muscle movements in the arm into movement. I'm thinking the video was more of a demonstration of possible applications of the MYO than a proof of concept.

I want to take a look at the API!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This looks amazing! combine this with the oculus rift VR headset and were looking at some pretty awesome new ways to play games.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What I think is great about this device is that it doesnt require the use of cameras to mimic you. Its all electrical impulse controlled. And at $149.99, I think this is an amazing device that will be a big hit once people get wind of it.

top topics

join