It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Blizzard - More "historic" and "unprecedented" weather..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

"DO NOT TRAVEL," the National Weather Service in Amarillo, Texas, posted on its website, telling residents not to venture out in what it was calling "a crippling, historic blizzard."

The storm was dumping snow over the Texas Panhandle at a rate of 2 to 3 inches an hour. Oklahoma also was being hit hard, and parts of Kansas and Missouri were bracing as the storm moved closer.

Is it bad when when every week there's an "historic" weather event?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
There has always been periods of extreme weather. Volcano's erupting can change the weather for many years to come.

The "Year without a Summer"
In 1816, Savannah, Georgia, celebrated the 4th of July with a high temperature of 46°F! Because it was so cold across the eastern U.S., crops were ruined as the growing season was shortened. Snow even fell in June, the heaviest in New England between June 6th and 11th, creating snow drifts 18 to 20 inches in parts of Vermont.

This cooler than normal weather also contributed to crop failure in Canada and Western Europe. There was also sunspots on the sun visible to the naked eyes. This combined with the unusual amount of volcanic dust in the stratosphere might have lead to global cooling.

It has been theorized that a series of volcanic eruptions in earlier in the decade ejected billions of cubic yards of fine volcanic dust high into the atmosphere. On St. Vincent Island in the Caribbean, Soufrière erupted in 1812. In the Philippines, the Mayon Volcano erupted in 1814, and Mount Tambora, located in Indonesia, erupted in 1815.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by redtic
www.cnn.com...

"DO NOT TRAVEL," the National Weather Service in Amarillo, Texas, posted on its website, telling residents not to venture out in what it was calling "a crippling, historic blizzard."

The storm was dumping snow over the Texas Panhandle at a rate of 2 to 3 inches an hour. Oklahoma also was being hit hard, and parts of Kansas and Missouri were bracing as the storm moved closer.

I had to deal with the I40 closure in ABQ this morning because of that storm. I would not say it is unprecedented, though. Maybe a little later in the year than normal. They close down that stretch of I40 a couple times a year at least since I have lived here.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Oh, certainly - no doubt. But we're talking now, 2013, and what's in store for us. My intention of the OP wasn't to start a climate change debate, but quite obviously, something is happening. It's rather startling to constantly see reports of these unprecedented weather events - I know some of it is media hype, but much of it is not. It's sorta funny - all these doom-sayers are talking endlessly about all these other doom scenarios, and, as far as I can tell, doom is unfolding very slowly right before our eyes, and there's not a whole of discussion about it...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
the weather is just the weather the internet just made talking about it faster. 40 years ago a blizzard in Texas would take a few days to filter out and wouldn't have been a big deal a thousand miles away. So blame the web for all the bad weather news

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
the weather is just the weather the internet just made talking about it faster. 40 years ago a blizzard in Texas would take a few days to filter out and wouldn't have been a big deal a thousand miles away. So blame the web for all the bad weather news

I don't discount the media hype factor, but I disagree that you can "blame the web" for what's going on, and so would a lot of scientists. There's a global pattern that is affecting local weather across the globe - you can't dispute all the records that have been broken over the last couple of years.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Actually, it's usual.

The world is a very big place and 'historical records' rarely go back more than 100 or 150 years. So somewhere or other, there's always a 'historical' weather event.
edit on 25-2-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

The Panhandle area gets hit with a few late cold spells now and again because it is the most northern point of the state, and that includes the occasional snow storm. The rest of the state seems to be about normal for this time of year. I've been wearing shorts and tee shirts during the day and wearing a sweater at night. Just a personal note: the mosquitoes are already monstrous and swarming at night- as usual!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It's just snow.
They should consider themselves lucky, Theirs goes in a couple of days. I'll probably still have snow in my yard till the beginning of May this year. I had plowed snow in one place till may 25th one year, I was beginning to think it was the seed of a glacier

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmiec

Oh, certainly - no doubt. But we're talking now, 2013, and what's in store for us. My intention of the OP wasn't to start a climate change debate, but quite obviously, something is happening. It's rather startling to constantly see reports of these unprecedented weather events - I know some of it is media hype, but much of it is not. It's sorta funny - all these doom-sayers are talking endlessly about all these other doom scenarios, and, as far as I can tell, doom is unfolding very slowly right before our eyes, and there's not a whole of discussion about it...

It doesn't matter how many times you tell them, Redtic, or how many stats you show them. To them its fear-mongering. People are afraid to face the truth.

Dangerous gas may be causing super-charged weather, quakes, booms and more...

Check out the above thread for a lot of information on something far more threatening than CO2. We're definitely living in a strange time and no matter how much you show, there will be those who deny!

Sure these things have always happened, but not on a daily occurrence. Super-charged "historic" or "once-in-a-lifetime" storms are happening every day whether they are rain or snow events. Fireballs being reported, mass animal die-offs, numerous drug-resistant bacteria and mutating viruses, strange explosions and mysterious deaths, sonic booms and strange sky noises, 6.0 earthqaukes, volcanoes, smaller tremors, droughts, etc.

I believe it's methane and hydrogen sulfide gases causing these problems. I have several threads about it where I am trying to get some discussion going, but like you said, many don't want to talk about it. It's too scary to think about.

The government may know somethings up. Check out this site that talks about some of the things they have done recently that points to it. Although this article is about predicting a meteor event, I'm not entirely sold on that alone. I think it has something to do with damage to the atmosphere from the methane. In addition to damage to the atmosphere, methane also traps heat at a high rate as long-wave infrared hits the surface from the sun, it bounces safely back into space as shortwave infrared, but methane traps that infrared and causes rapid heating. Methane rises all the way up to the mesosphere where we can't fly weather balloons or jets, but too low to fly shuttles. We can't test for methane levels in this layer of the atmosphere, so we really don't even know how much is up there. I also think this is what's causing the increase in fireballs.

Here is my thread about the fireballs
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is the site about the meteor event and at the bottom of article you'll find how the Farsight Institute study explains how the government may know something.
Remote viewers predict catastrophic meteor event

1. The U.S. Space Shuttle launched its last mission in mid-2011. At that time, NASA entirely abanded its government-funded manned spaceflight program. Given the investment that the U.S. has made in launching humans into space since the 1960s, this is odd, especially since private efforts to launch humans into space are years away, and currently unproven. It is as if the government does not anticipate being able to launch humans into space in the near future for reasons not currently stated.

2. The Svalbard Global Seed Vault was sealed in 2011. This seed bank will allow the world to restart agriculture given a global catastrophe. The United Nations formally inspected the facility, which might seem odd for a Norwegian project. The timing of this project seems like a strange coincidence.

3. U.S. and global debt. It is as if various governments are not expecting to have to pay back their debts, perhaps anticipating a global economic reset due to reasons not currently stated.

4.It also goes on to say that the devaluation of the dollar is on a trend that may not change. The UN is moving towards less dependency on the dollar and governments are acting as if the dollar will be phased out as the global currency.

5. The US faces no nuclear threats or enemies, but it is digging huge underground facilities in inhospitable regions and China is digging massive subway systems underneath its cities that could almost act as shelters. Russia announced in 2011 that it was building 5,000 nuclear bomb shelters and putting a rush on it to be done in 2012.

6.NASA is predicting unprecedented solar storms. We cannot accurately predict Earth's normal weather a week in advance, yet NASA can predict the sun's. Some feel that NASA is acting with some extra information.

Things sure are unfolding slowly before our eyes, as you say OP!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

So, you are saying that it's situation normal then? All the recent broken records are normal? And statistics such as it being the 335th straight month of above average global temperatures is normal? I understand the earth goes through cycles and things like this have happened in the past - but I'm just looking for general agreement that something is happening, that it's out of the norm (for our modern civilization) and that it's potentially a bad thing for us. I'm not arguing the origins here, just that the data indicates that something potentially bad for the human species is afoot...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

...So, you are saying that it's situation normal then? All the recent broken records are normal? And statistics such as it being the 335th straight month of above average global temperatures is normal? I understand the earth goes through cycles and things like this have happened in the past - but I'm just looking for general agreement that something is happening, that it's out of the norm (for our modern civilization) and that it's potentially a bad thing for us. I'm not arguing the origins here, just that the data indicates that something potentially bad for the human species is afoot...

You apparently have an opinion that you want others to agree with...as stated forthright in the above quoted text. This, however, is neither "unprecedented" or (even) "unusual" for the Panhandle of Texas. I've been dealing with winds all day...and unfortunately (for someone who likes cold/er weather) can expect the temperatures to rise dramatically by tomorrow.
(And sadly - we only got a few snow flurries, here...today.)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanDash

...So, you are saying that it's situation normal then? All the recent broken records are normal? And statistics such as it being the 335th straight month of above average global temperatures is normal? I understand the earth goes through cycles and things like this have happened in the past - but I'm just looking for general agreement that something is happening, that it's out of the norm (for our modern civilization) and that it's potentially a bad thing for us. I'm not arguing the origins here, just that the data indicates that something potentially bad for the human species is afoot...

You apparently have an opinion that you want others to agree with...as stated forthright in the above quoted text. This, however, is neither "unprecedented" or (even) "unusual" for the Panhandle of Texas. I've been dealing with winds all day...and unfortunately (for someone who likes cold/er weather) can expect the temperatures to rise dramatically by tomorrow.

Amarillo received its 2nd highest snowfall ever with 19 inches. The average snowfall for Amarillo all year is 19 inches. Here is some info on snowfall in the panhandles of OK and TX.

Snowfall in TX and OK panhandles

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I think what the OP is trying to say here is that It's not that any one storm is so out of the ordinary for that particular area, but the combination of all these super-storms all over the world that are labeled "historic." Look at the sheer number of them over the past year alone. You'd have to be born yesterday to not see the numbers. You may continue to deny and keep your head buried in the sand, but it's not going to change the reality we face here.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
...Amarillo received its 2nd highest snowfall ever with 19 inches. The average snowfall for Amarillo all year is 19 inches. Here is some info on snowfall in the panhandles of OK and TX.

Hey - good for you. What part of TX are you living in?
How many years of your life have you lived in OK & TX?
And - are you living in West Texas now?
What's your point?
There must be a point you're trying to make... Please feel free to make it.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I think what the OP is trying to say here is that It's not that any one storm is so out of the ordinary for that particular area, but the combination of all these super-storms all over the world that are labeled "historic." Look at the sheer number of them over the past year alone. You'd have to be born yesterday to not see the numbers. You may continue to deny and keep your head buried in the sand, but it's not going to change the reality we face here.

Everything is cyclical. I remember 30 years ago there were more thunderstorms in the summer and more snowstorms in the winter than there has been any time since.

I remember getting 2-3 feet of snow at one time EVERY winter for a while when I was a kid, maybe several times in one winter. No one was freaking out about it then.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Presuming this was aimed at me...I'll accept some of your points.
But...how would you know if I "continue to deny" anything...and/or that my head has EVER been buried in the sand?
On the other hand, I don't see "super storms" as broadcast by the MSM being nearly as alarming as they appear to want me to believe.
I saw "super storm Sandy" as...another weather event that affected a lot of people (because of where it hit).
If you're wanting me to agree that some conspiracy (or group of conspiracies) is behind the various weather patterns we've seen (I've been through many weather events in my lifetime)...I might could agree... But I might not agree with your list of suspects (then again - I might - who knows?).
Last year, about this time, I was without power for a numer of days in a row...with an ice & snow storm...
edit on 2/25/2013 by WanDash because: The R's have it.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Everything is cyclical. I remember 30 years ago there were more thunderstorms in the summer and more snowstorms in the winter than there has been any time since.

I remember getting 2-3 feet of snow at one time EVERY winter for a while when I was a kid, maybe several times in one winter. No one was freaking out about it then.

I agree with you about that. I grew up in northern WI and I remember having feet of snow on the ground from late Dec. until early March, and every now and then there'd be a "dry" winter. But the last couple of winters have been anything but normal in my neck of the woods. I'm 41 so I can remember quite a few seasons and only this past couple of years has it been this off. But, once again, the point OP is making is that abnormal is the new normal because "off" is happening everywhere. Just as you said what you remember where you are from. That year may have been abnormal for you, but most likely the majority of the world wasn't abnormal. Now, most of the world is experiencing extremes! Every storm you hear about, whether it's in India, Israel, Australia, Russia, the UK, or here, it's a "Freak Storm." And it's not only the storms that are "off" Take a look at the animal die-offs. So far this year there have been 89 known mass die-offs. That's 52 days. That's 1.71 mass die-offs per day. In 2012 there were 464 known events. That's 1.27 mass die-offs per day. That's quite an increase, but in 2011 there were 145 known events. That's only 0.4 events per day.

2011 145 die-offs 0.4 per day
2012 464 die-offs 1.27 per day
2013 89 so far 1.71 per day

Mass animal die-offs in 2011

Mass animal die-offs in 2012

Mass animal die-offs in 2013

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

...I agree with you about that. I grew up in northern WI and I remember having feet of snow on the ground from late Dec. until early March, and every now and then there'd be a "dry" winter. But the last couple of winters have been anything but normal in my neck of the woods. I'm 41 so I can remember quite a few seasons and only this past couple of years has it been this off. But, once again, the point OP is making is that abnormal is the new normal because "off" is happening everywhere. Just as you said what you remember where you are from. That year may have been abnormal for you, but most likely the majority of the world wasn't abnormal. Now, most of the world is experiencing extremes! Every storm you hear about, whether it's in India, Israel, Australia, Russia, the UK, or here, it's a "Freak Storm." And it's not only the storms that are "off" Take a look at the animal die-offs. So far this year there have been 89 known mass die-offs. That's 52 days. That's 1.71 mass die-offs per day. In 2012 there were 464 known events. That's 1.27 mass die-offs per day. That's quite an increase, but in 2011 there were 145 known events. That's only 0.4 events per day.

2011 145 die-offs 0.4 per day
2012 464 die-offs 1.27 per day
2013 89 so far 1.71 per day

Okay - should have known that "this" (whatever "this" narrows down to) is your hotspot.
Thanks for the info.
I'm not as alarmed by the descriptives "they" put on things/events as I once was.
You know - boiling the frog - shell-shock - - walking out of a rock concert and telling someone who's shouting at you, that they need to speak up...
My point of frustration was/is -- WHERE'S MY SNOW?!
No-one else around here agrees with me... But - I lived 7 years in Colorado...and I MISS SNOW.
So - sorry for spoiling the parade.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanDash
You apparently have an opinion that you want others to agree with...as stated forthright in the above quoted text.

If, by that, you mean that I've stated an opinion that I agree with, and that I don't agree with those who don't share that opinion, then, yeah, that's generally how this works..

This, however, is neither "unprecedented" or (even) "unusual" for the Panhandle of Texas. I've been dealing with winds all day...and unfortunately (for someone who likes cold/er weather) can expect the temperatures to rise dramatically by tomorrow.

As Rezlooper has stated, this isn't about any one incident, but a pattern of incidents. Hey, I could be wrong and all the wacky weather could come to a halt, but I'd be willing to wager that we're going to see things get a lot worse over the coming years...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join