It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frenemy and Frenemies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I heard this term for the first time on the radio the other day ...
and I couldn't help but think of a few people here.

Frenemy and Frenemies

"Frenemy" (alternately spelled "frienemy") is a portmanteau of "friend" and "enemy" that can refer to either an enemy pretending to be your friend or someone who really is your friend but is also a rival.[1] The term is used to describe personal, geopolitical, and commercial relationships both among individuals and groups or institutions.

I'm thinking ATS's 'respected foes' could perhaps also be 'Frenemies'.
Someone who is a friend, but also a rival ...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I see the term "frenemy" in the terms of that old adage "Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer." It brings to mind the old days when we were all back in high school, where there was always that one person who pretended to be your very good friend while they secretly stabbed you in the back at each and every opportunity. It was always best to keep this person close to you so that you would know when they were up to "no good". That is what always comes to mind when I hear the word "frenemy".

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I like it! Many a time I have secretly "starred" a post by a respected foe.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
When someone challenges you, you can learn from it if you understand that their reasoning can be formed from looking things at a different angle. I try to research when I am challenged to see what forms the person of the person challenging me. To make it in this world you have to be able to use information rationally to try to debate. Debating is a learning tool. It can build self confidence and knowledge if used right. I can't see how people can debate in person without the internet successfully. A book often is formed by opinion and you get that opinion shoved down your throat all day. The internet gives you the ability to see what forms others opinions.

If you are unwilling to adjust your perception, you cannot learn from others. I guess our knowledge gets in the way. A lot of the old knowledge has to be considered though, people are getting more wanting of gratification now adays so they can use their fame to change others perception to make them believe in deceit. More and more is this tactic employed.

I see some here building each others stars up
Are these people really foes?

join