It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WH Told Gibbs Not to Acknowledge Drone Program: 'You’re Not Even to Discuss That It Exists'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Quite interesting considering all that we now know about how Obama's drone war has increased in scope and function since his first day in office back in 2009.

You remember Glib Gibbs. Obama's former official mouthpiece.

Former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said before he became spokesman for the Obama administration he was told to “not even acknowledge the drone program…you’re not even to discuss that it exists.”

The administration’s drone program has come under scrutiny since a confidential Justice Department memo -- leaked earlier this month -- detailed the basis for drone strikes against alleged al-Qaeda operatives, including U.S. citizens.

In an appearance on MSNBC’s “Up with Chris Hayes” on Sunday, Gibbs was asked if he believes the White House has been “sufficiently forthcoming” about its drone-strike program.

“Well, I think you’ve seen recently the president discuss the need and desire to be more forthcoming,” Gibbs said. “I certainly think there are aspects of that program that are and will remain highly sensitive and very secret.”

“But let me give you an example here Chris,” Gibbs said. “When I went through the process of becoming press secretary, one of the things, one of the first things they told me was, ‘You’re not even to acknowledge the drone program. You’re not even to discuss that it exists.'”

“So I would get a question like that—literally I couldn’t tell you what Major [Garrett] asked, because once I figured out it was about the drone program I realized I’m not supposed to talk about it,” Gibbs said.

“But here’s what’s inherently crazy about that proposition,” he added. “You’re being asked a question based on reporting of a program that exists. So you’re the official government spokesperson acting as if the entire program—pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.”

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"? Wow

Pay attention to this bit and you'll be scratching your heads

Gibbs said denying the drone program, as he was told to do, “undermines people’s confidence” in government

No Foolin' Wally... I would safely say that the confidence of the people in it's govt. is currently at an all time LOW!
Was that part of the plan??

Wow just Wow. I am actually surprised that Gibbs would even admit this. Which makes me wonder even more...

cnsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
He better be careful about what he says...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Gibbs is known to be one of Obama's closest advisors. So, I don't doubt for a minute that there is a motive behind Gibbs' "sudden revelation". Now we have the mastermind behind the drone program, Brennan, up for the chief spot at the CIA. I'm stumped.... Nothing to see here!!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

“But let me give you an example here Chris,” Gibbs said. “When I went through the process of becoming press secretary, one of the things, one of the first things they told me was, ‘You’re not even to acknowledge the drone program. You’re not even to discuss that it exists.'”

“So I would get a question like that—literally I couldn’t tell you what Major [Garrett] asked, because once I figured out it was about the drone program I realized I’m not supposed to talk about it,” Gibbs said.

Oh but but but... OP! There must be a mistake here! I have it on the best authority that this was to be the most transparent Presidency in the history of our United States! He said so! Repeatedly, even! (Did ANYTHING he say have even a passing basis in truth or honest intent??)

Oh.... transparent except for the black book of topics which shall never be named, right?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Makes you wonder what Jay Carney was "told" to keep hush hush on when he took over for Glibbs. The press has openly declared that they allowed themselves to be manipulated and silenced by a new "Master" in the White House. The truth is out there in black and white and out of the mouth of a former Press Secretary.

Knowing this and knowing how they allowed themselves to be punked for 4 years, the WH press team and all major outlets should see this as a new awakening to actually do their jobs and demand answers and accountability from this administration.... Don't expect much from MSNBC though. The state run media outlet has just signed on Gibbs and Axelrod to there staff of crack addicts and kool aid mongers.
edit on 25-2-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

It has been utterly amazing to me that Obama and his crew have gotten a near FULL pass on everything that's happened since the day he took office. Dead Americans in Benghazi? Well.. "Bush lied, men died" seems only to fit for wars. ....like that one still raging from a position of extreme weakness in Afghanistan or the new ones shaping up in North/Central Africa.

Carney? That child? lol.... I doubt they have to tend him much. I think he has all the trouble he can handle just keeping straight what he is supposed to talk about. He simply diverts and ridicules with anyone asking outside the narrow lines he's given permission to stay within.

At least Gibbs is someone I respected as being professionally competent. A professional liar, but still competent in his chosen line of work. They replaced him with someone I wouldn't trust to make a presentation to a college class on behalf of my work group.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

So he waits till he is out of The White House to say it, how cowardly...
remember Anita Dunn was forced to resign after she said

“Very rarely did we communicate through the press anything that we didn’t absolutely control,”

www.realclearpolitics.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

"The most transparent government ever." Didn't the POTUS say that? I believe that he did.

And since then his Admin has done everything in their power to pull the wool over the citizens eyes, and handcuff those who won't toe the line.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Signals

Gibbs is known to be one of Obama's closest advisors. So, I don't doubt for a minute that there is a motive behind Gibbs' "sudden revelation". Now we have the mastermind behind the drone program, Brennan, up for the chief spot at the CIA. I'm stumped.... Nothing to see here!!!!

I'm sure that Gibbs had to sign a non-disclosure agreement that included...

Um...everything.

I'm sure his stint at MSNBC will be short-lived as he won't really be able to say much. Unless it has a WH stamp of approval on it.
edit on 25-2-2013 by TDawgRex because: Darned opposable thumbs

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

The only stamp he or Axelrod got from the WH was the official WH MSNBC surrogate stamp that should be emblazoned on their foreheads before they ever utter a comment on the air. Consider how long those men have been "close" to Obama....

Axelrod is old school Chicago and worked hard for Mayor Daley and dates back with Obama to around 1992. And Gibbs as been with Obama since 2004.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I'm sure that this Admin has been totally surprised at how most of the U.S. has not bought into the "Chicago Way".

But they keep doubling down on stupid.

I hope to survive the next twenty-five years so I can see this Admin listed as the worst ever. I believe that if he were white (not being racist here) that he would already have a impeachment going against him. And it probably would have taken place during his first term.

When 0bama was first elected, I could honestly say I had nothing against him, I just didn't like his policies. Now I can honestly say I do not like him nor those who he surrounds himself with.

Wow! I said that about the Bush Admin back in the days before I joined ATS.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The timing on all this has me very concerned, the leaked memo, Brennan being unclear on drone strikes on Americans on American soil, Gibbs statements. There seems to be a purpose to it all, almost like they are baiting us to throw the first punch. I think they know that the economy is about to collapse, and they are trying to get ahead of a major crap storm.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Dont expect much from CNN (CIA) or Faux either. Murdoch is becoming a globalist more and more every time I hear him or see the narrative change on Fox. Why do you think they got rid of Beck? As soft as he was.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by jibeho

"The most transparent government ever." Didn't the POTUS say that? I believe that he did.

And since then his Admin has done everything in their power to pull the wool over the citizens eyes, and handcuff those who won't toe the line.

They were sort of honest about being transparent, it`s transparently obvious that they are doing everything they can to take away our rights and destroy our capitalist financial system.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

There is nothing cowardly about wanting to remain alive.

Mary Anne, an Illuminati defector who was present when Vince Foster was murdered. She says Hillary Clinton and Foster were "having a screaming match verging on a brawl" in his office at the White House. He had threatened to expose her Whitewater dealings. A Secret Service agent "raised his gun and shot him point blank."

www.henrymakow.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Originally posted by burntheships

There is nothing cowardly about wanting to remain alive.

Depends on how you go about it.

As to the Clintons, Vince Fosters death was one of those "unsolved" mysteries...
however the dirt did not stick to them, and it seems it does not stick to Obama either.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
That's just hilarious. One of the largest makers of drone technology, General Dynamics, is located in San Diego - they are an excellent employer to work for (voted best in town), if you can stomach the reality of the end product. I have a person close to me who has worked there for 7 years engineering and designing, so I know for a fact they are there. It baffled me, though, how many years he spent still thinking they were only used for surveillance.
edit on 26-2-2013 by saintinwaiting because: removed location

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I see him coming forward with this as a threat, he is basically saying that this program exists and you better watch out...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Well so much for Transparency....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

One can only speculate when these games will seize. I for one have been very observant of our Government's new actions and everday it becomes more and more clear to me just what their true colors are.

I still find it absurd that people continue to support these clowns.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join