It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cardinal Keith O'Brien steps down as Archbishop

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Cardinal Keith O'Brien steps down as Archbishop

www.bbc.co.uk

Britain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, is stepping down as the Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh.

It follows allegations - which he contests - of inappropriate behaviour towards priests dating from the 1980s.

The Vatican is expected to confirm Pope Benedict has accepted his resignation.

The cardinal is not now expected to take part in the election for a successor to the Pope - leaving Britain unrepresented in the election.

Cardinal O'Brien missed celebrating Sunday Mass in St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh, which marked Pope Benedict's eight y
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-2-2013 by nolabel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Jumping before it starts getting too hot for him because he is surely going to burn in Hell if these accusations are proven to have foundation.

This is just something else for the Vatican to contend with as more stories of corruption, mismanagement and the sexual proclivities of thechurch are revealed in the coming days/weeks.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I have just read about this on a few sites.

Is it just me or does it seem that the whole Catholic church is a sex ring ?

if this was any other organization it would have been shut down in minutes, how can anybody who practices Catholicism be proud for its institution been run by sex offenders.

Not only that but most of the offenders are working still in the church.

Nice religion you have there ! maybe they should take up Scientology it seems less harmful

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
This is just the tip of a very big iceberg that could sink the whole RC church.
Be prepared for a lot more "revelations" in the near future.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by nolabel
This is just the tip of a very big iceberg that could sink the whole RC church.
Be prepared for a lot more "revelations" in the near future.

I hear what you are saying but this type of stuff has been happening for over 100 years, I really do not think they are not that bothered what comes out as they just carry on as normal.

I would love to hear a catholic point of view on this?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Several days ago cardinal O Brien said there should be married priests and that Jesus didn't say the priests shouldn't marry. Apparently a major change proposed in the Roman church. Any connection?
For reference the Orthodox churches have married priesthood, while the bishops are non-married only.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

This upcoming conclave will be the focus of the world's attention for more reasons than one. Maybe the pope's resignation is bringing to light an very urgent need for a new reformation at the top levels? They seem so far removed from the mission of Christ, imo of course.

link   
If a liberal cardinal is forced to resign (don't know the allegations it might be just the right thing to do), what to say about the remaining conservative cardinals in the conclave? Petrus Romanus will be conservative! Forget about any major change in the biggest church! I am more afraid of that perspective, than if someone of the clergy had gay sex (not with children!!!) The danger of non-changing church on key issues that touch the very essence of everyday life of millions Catholics is very real.
One may say the Orthodox churches with all their ancient traditions are way more liberal, allowing several marriages (when needed), and silently allowing things like condoms. Russian Patriarch recently met with the leader of the Russian gay association, although officially that is a taboo. Unofficially the Orthodox churches and societies appear to be much more relaxed on the key sexual issues that rock today the Catholic church. May be the married priests with families play a role too.

I am sorry to hear that card. Brien will not vote although he has the right to vote, as Mahony has.

link   
When it rains, it pours I suppose.

John 3:20-21, et. al.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Don't you often find that accusers often do what they accuse others of doing? Just saying.

So 'just to play devils advocate' here, what if Keith O'Brien with his recent outspoken views about priests being allowed to marry was seen as a troublemaker, so what better way of getting rid f him but to accuse him of what the Roman Catholic Church has been accused of.

I will be interested to see the outcome of this....maybe he's being very clever...bit like a back bench MP where he can speak his mind. Maybe the ex-cardinal will be the very change catholicism needs?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Is it just me or does it seem that the whole Catholic church is a sex ring ?
reply to post by judus

No it's not just you, the Vatican is an corrupt haven for Pedophiles.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Yes. and I am troubled of a conclave full of conservatives. Plus Mahony who doesn't feel guilty as Brien feels. Strange world!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

It is and has always been so! It should have been burnt to the ground a long time ago!!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Don't you often find that accusers often do what they accuse others of doing? Just saying.

So 'just to play devils advocate' here, what if Keith O'Brien with his recent outspoken views about priests being allowed to marry was seen as a troublemaker, so what better way of getting rid f him but to accuse him of what the Roman Catholic Church has been accused of.

I will be interested to see the outcome of this....maybe he's being very clever...bit like a back bench MP where he can speak his mind. Maybe the ex-cardinal will be the very change catholicism needs?

Rainbows
Jane

My God! When are you people gonna wake up! There's no game with this, it's out and out Pedophilia. The more people make stupid excuses for them and hide from the issues the messier it will become.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DrunkYogi

Excuse me! Are you saying I am not 'awake'? That I am making excuses?
You have totally misunderstood my post.
I am in no way defending paedophilia, or condoning what has been going on for generations, not only in the catholic church but from Royalty to politicians, to ceo's and right down to the common man like you and me!

It disgusts me and is probably the one crime I would probably serve time for commiting murder against these heanous individuals!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
With all of this going on decade after decade, century after century, you'd think they would have gotten their house in order. I hope the next Pope lays all the cards on the table and actually follows up on his "mea culpa".

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DrunkYogi

if it was pedofilia case they would have said so in the newspapers, as oudly as it was in Ireland. 3 priests accuse the archbishop. Perhaps gay? I dont know and frankly dont care. What I care is now one of the moderate cardinals is out of the conclave, because HE DECIDES not to go, he has some conscience. He still has the right to go, as Mahony. There is the pedofilia case in LA.

I just wonder how far the Vatican will go to suffocate any dissent with any means available. Will we have JP-4 elected? At least they could have released Fatima instead of lying to the world. But God sees.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

Been happening for over 2000 years.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

Rainbows
Jane

Good Theory

A bit like the head of the IMF talking some sense about the state of Europe's economics and then all of a sudden been accused of sex games with underage woman.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Cardinal Schoenborn of Vienna had a hard time to calm down his own priests who wanted: married priests, communion to divorced (that all is ok to me and to orthodox churches), plus women priests, gay/lesbian rights, contraception, etc. (that goes far beyond). Card. Schoenborn said he could not agree with them because he was not ready for a schism at that Time. Seems he is ready at least for the moderate demands.

Will Schoenborn be out of the conclave too? Brien just said for the married priests what Jesus said in the Gospel, and he is just out. Those 3 priests didn't say their testimonies 2 weeks ago yes? Apparenty orchestrated action perhaps from the Vatican itself. Shame for the catholic church that prepares for such a dirty middle age inqusition style concave!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join