It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a thought about mediation and satan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
If satan gave us the power to "think" thoughts instead of being mindless? What god originally wanted us to be.
Like the Buddha try so hard to become mindless, am I missing something lol. Just thought it was funny. Isnt
that just basically the secret to life? So satan basically damned us all by giving us the power of thought? kind of a cruel joke if you think about it. People are always thinking too much from materialistic point of view hence why they don't see the truth. Basically you cant see your true self. Maybe its just a test of life. I know a good experiment to test it, to guaranteed results. Still need to rephrase it correctly.

Well im not religious expert, havnt opened up any religious books, or religion was brought up in my family.
Just came across reading misc posts here and there.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by aerial

How can one be so sure he/she is living "truth" or "lie" if one doesn't know what they are? How can one discern good and evil if he/she has not experienced both? How could one be absolutely certain Buddha found "truth" and didn't mislead everyone, thus, how do you know being "mindless" is the path? How would you know if Satan or God isn't directing me to confuse you?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by aerial
If satan gave us the power to "think" thoughts instead of being mindless? What god originally wanted us to be.
Like the Buddha try so hard to become mindless, am I missing something lol. Just thought it was funny. Isnt
that just basically the secret to life? So satan basically damned us all by giving us the power of thought? kind of a cruel joke if you think about it. People are always thinking too much from materialistic point of view hence why they don't see the truth. Basically you cant see your true self. Maybe its just a test of life. I know a good experiment to test it, to guaranteed results. Still need to rephrase it correctly.

Well im not religious expert, havnt opened up any religious books, or religion was brought up in my family.
Just came across reading misc posts here and there.

I don't know what you are trying to say really but I'll tell you a little story that helped me understand the brain and our connection with whatever it is that lies beyond it. The brain is like a powerful genie who will grant your every wish and faithfully serve you as master but it requires one thing...you cannot stop making wishes. The brain requires constant attention and so a device has been discovered called "meditation" that will help you control the energetic and willful brain. Instead of thinking of wish after wish so that it can serve you better, meditation is the same as telling the genie to simply travel up and down this pole until it hears your next wish. During meditation the brain has a chance to hear what the cosmos has to impart during the quiet time.

Prayer, when done properly works in a very similar way. By placing all your efforts and focus on God or Jesus instead of your problem you get a break from your problem and from there change happens. Either you think of other solutions or God actually comes in and helps out. I am not sure about that either but done faithfully it seems to work in calming people down and managing their genie. Satan? I don't believe in him but I do think there ARE some awful evil people in this world. S&F because I am a liberal. We're not cheap and miserly with the stars and flags.
edit on 25-2-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by aerial

I don't think that Satan gave us the "power of thought"...it's more like eating from the tree of knowledge damned us with "self-awareness". Before Adam and Eve ate of the tree, they were not aware that they were naked or ashamed of their nudity...then they eat of the tree of knowledge and BAM...they're AWARE. They had thoughts before but not this higher awareness of themselves. I think that this higher awareness of self is what lead to everything from ego (which then lead to man warring against fellow man to serve their egos) to simple over thinking (which can lead to depression and anxiety or to false and mistaken beliefs).

I'm not quite sure if you meant that Satan wouldn't want us to meditate because we clear our minds and achieve clarity that enables us to get closer to God...or that Satan gets into our head through meditation because we're reaching for higher awareness/knowledge/understanding. Whichever you meant, I believe the former...that when we quiet our minds of the thoughts that clutter our awareness, God can reach us more easily and communicate with us more efficiently, bringing us a deeper sense of peace.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. ~ Bruce Lee

The power of thoughts make the differences between us. It is what divide us. It is what causes us fighting each other. And so on.

If you dont believe me, try this:

Go somewhere crowded and see everyone around you, observe them.
If the guy you see is ugly, you will start thinking the guy is ugly. If the girl you see is fat, you will start thinking the girl is fat.
And so on.

Now empty your mind and re-observe everyone around you again.
Any difference?

Note: If you never meditate, your mind will be noisy. So the easiest trick is hold your breath to empty your mind temporarily.

edit on 25-2-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by aerial

Just what in the heck is Satan going to mediate????
2nd.................

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by aerial

Well, going strictly by The Book, Satan didn't really give us anything, he merely convinced us to access information which was already within our reach. That information was the "knowledge of good and evil".

Adam and Eve weren't exactly "mindless" before accessing this information, but lacked a certain quality of discernment. Basically they could not judge what was good and what was bad, but lived contented lives. It could be described as a sort of child-like innocence or living purely in the moment. They just hung out in the garden, eating when they needed to, giving names to stuff. Sounds like a perfect life.

Ironically it was the very lack of discernment which allowed them to be decieved. I think it was inevitable since God had placed the "fruit" within their reach (ie. created them with the capacity to form a concept of good and evil). Eve had not known that the snake was lying, she couldn't have, and neither did Adam, until after they had both eaten.

I personally believe this is an allegorical story which conveys the ideas of Id, Ego and Super-Ego

The id is the unorganized part of the personality structure that contains a human's basic, instinctual drives. Id is the only component of personality that is present from birth.

The ego comprises the organized part of the personality structure that includes defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions. Conscious awareness resides in the ego, although not all of the operations of the ego are conscious. Originally, Freud used the word ego to mean a sense of self, but later revised it to mean a set of psychic functions such as judgment, tolerance, reality testing, control, planning, defense, synthesis of information, intellectual functioning, and memory.

Before tasting the fruit, Adam and Eve had no ability to judge. Eating the fruit gave them this ability.

Eating the fruit = development of Ego

Freud developed his concept of the super-ego from an earlier combination of the ego ideal and the "special psychical agency which performs the task of seeing that narcissistic satisfaction from the ego ideal is ensured ... what we call our 'conscience'."

The super-ego aims for perfection. It comprises that organized part of the personality structure, mainly but not entirely unconscious, that includes the individual's ego ideals, spiritual goals, and the psychic agency (commonly called "conscience") that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions. "The Super-ego can be thought of as a type of conscience that punishes misbehavior with feelings of guilt. For example, for having extra-marital affairs."

Source - Wikipedia

After eating the fruit, both Adam and Eve realised that they were naked and felt shame, a result of a guilty conscience.

Feeling shame = development of Super-Ego

Many advocates of meditation refer to it as a tool used to deconstruct the ego, which may be used to benefit oneself when the ego interferes with one's well-being.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Satan does not exist. End of story.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The metaphor for Christianity for Ego, is the word Satan. Our thoughts become chattering, manipulative, and all of the above. If you notice when you are more concentrated, all thoughts remain low and inexistent. Being thoughtless is not being ignorant/emotionless. It simply is seeing life as it is, instead of seeing it with that extra entity filtering it. That is why the Buddha searched and tried so strongly to become without thought. To see things as they are

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If you're attempting to seek truth, know that it will not be found in the mind's imaginations.

edit on 25-2-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by aerial

There is nothing "good" (or bad) about being "mindless". Being without thought - without mind is NEUTRALITY. Because there is no mind you cannot be responsible for the randomness or what happens (spiritually) which is why in the story the trick of the serpent was to eat the fruit to get them to UNDERSTAND "Good" and "Evil".

Buddha find "Neutrality", not "Goodness".

Meditation is "neutral" it can be used for the "Dark-side" or the "Light-side".

Your true self is pure POTENTIAL (Without thought - neutrality) , but POTENTIAL is dead unless it actually BECOMES something.
edit on 26-2-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

top topics

join