It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch world's first meteor tracking satellite NEOSSat launching today Feb 25 2013. Live links

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Whereas all satellites are aimed downward towards earth, this satellite will be purposefully placed to observe for meteros, asteroids and of course space debris, as in the picture below. It is the size of a suitcase and consists of a space telescope.

NEOSSaT's mission

The Ness project uses NEOSSat's space telescope to discover asteroids of the inner Solar System. NESS is contributing to the international science community's efforts to find and track near-Earth asteroids and comets.

In just under three hours from now we can watch the launch live.

NEOSSat is designed to specifically look for Aten asteroids that can’t be seen from the ground because of the scattering of the sun’s light in the atmosphere.

The specific research goals are

■To use NEOSSat to discover new near-Earth asteroids by searching the sky along the ecliptic plane as close to the Sun as its microsatellite custom baffle design allows (to within 45° of the Sun). This search will focus on two groups of asteroids; one called Atens (asteroids with orbits mostly within the Earth`s (although they cross Earth’s orbit at their farthest points from the Sun) and, in particular, Atiras (asteroids whose entire orbit is within Earth’s).
■To conduct follow-up tracking of any near-Earth asteroids discovered by NEOSSat and other search programs.
■To assess potentially hazardous asteroids (PHAs) by better defining their orbital parameters.
■To monitor comets when they come close to the Sun, and to check suspected comets for outgassing activity.
■To provide ground-based radar-imaging programs with accurate targeting locations.

Ness's Project link

There is also an article you might find interesting

“Once we detect and track them, we can project their orbit and then forecast ahead — sometimes years or decades [in advance] — where and when they will cross Earth’s orbit.

Globe and Mail article
launch links

This is so exciting! Had it been launched before the Russian explosion, I wonder how much warning time there would have been and whether it could have been deflected. That's what everyone is hoping this monitoring system will be able to do, warn us and allow for some kind of deflection and possibly interception.

There are some exciting times ahead! Let's hope they keep us informed of the discoveries they make and allow us to share in the excitement. If they can determine an asteroid's path and track it, then appropriate plans can be made.

edit on 25-2-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I will be tracking this thread for updates, nice one

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Great, but since this one is pointed towards the sun, now all we need is another one to track the area away from the sun, and maybe two more to track "east" and "west" of the earth as well (if towards sun is "north" and away from sun is "south". so to speak.

Finally some well invested money right here, instead of investing it in all the needless wars (like afghanistan, war on drugs etc) and i bet this one is way cheaper as well.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Haha, I was thinking the same thing before my first coffee, but don't forget these things move in orbits. See part of the orbit and plot the rest?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

3 minutes post launch. Normal so far. watch here

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Oh and yes, it cost 65 million. Not much by today's project standards is it?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Good topic, and thanks for posting OP

However, if NEOSSat is not pointing at Earth, it won't be tracking meteors - would be meteors perhaps, but there are no meteors in space!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Oh right.
Asteroids in space, meteors inside?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Yes, basically. When asteroids or meteoroids enter our atmosphere, the streak of light they produce is known as a meteor (or fireball/bolide if they are bright/very bright). So a meteor is the luminous phenomena caused by an object like a meteoroid entering our atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Its probably much more than a tracker.

Mining Billionaires

Its either that or shoot one down like in Russia but that causes too much commotion......literally.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hmmmmmmmmm......

I wonder if the data will be available to the general public? Like SOHO and the SDO.

I think it's great that we should try and find and track these objects, especially coming from near the sun since we can't do that with earth bound telescopes.

However, I was thinking that if the data is available to the general public......how many new threads we'll see here on ATS about "mother ships" spotted and such?

Hey! Great new content adder for here!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

This is so exciting! Had it been launched before the Russian explosion, I wonder how much warning time there would have been and whether it could have been deflected.

The same amount as they had.....NONE

You really think they would cause panic and mass hysteria amonst civilians?

This is so the elite won't die this way.....Mr Rothchild, you have an asteroid headed to your position in Europe now, please leave so you will be safe....

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
However, I was thinking that if the data is available to the general public......how many new threads we'll see here on ATS about "mother ships" spotted and such?

Not to mention, with all the new objects being found, it would probably fuel the fire of the "we're seeing more fireballs than ever before" camp...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

I only hope that these billionnaire miners are not the same ones who have been fracking the planet and causing contamination of water sources, so much so that even the man who developed fracking said on tv last week that he feels there ought to be a moratorium on it.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Hmmmmmmmmm......

I wonder if the data will be available to the general public? Like SOHO and the SDO.

I think it's great that we should try and find and track these objects, especially coming from near the sun since we can't do that with earth bound telescopes.

Hey! Great new content adder for here!

Haha. Well at least it wouldn't be about 2012 or banning guns, so that would be different.
I somehow doubt that U of Calgary whose pet project this is will open it up to the public right away, but that's just my guess.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

They theoretically can track something for months and maybe years.

new topics

top topics

join