It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Code Found In YouTube's Most Recent App Update All But Confirms Pay-To-View Channels Are Coming

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one
how are they going to KNOW whether or not you own and purchased a licensed copy to use again or watch again?

I guess when they show up at your house with a subpena to prosecute you for copyright infringement, and you say, “ I paid for a legal license to that already, feel free to talk to my attorney, *SLAM*”...

That is the way that the law is supposed to work according to the original intent. If they cannot PROVE that you have committed a crime, then they really have no recourse to do a damn thing.
They have money and have lobbied the laws in their favor.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I think you will find it doesnt only apply to the music industry. A few months back there was something on the news about this whole Youtube charging nonsense. They said it would cost between $1 and $5 a month, per channel.

The fact is, Google allows everyone to run adverts on their channels now, so, these big network channels want additional benefits, such as charging a monthly fee. Many of these channels will have subscribers in the millions or hundreds of thousands. So even if they drive away 99% of people, they will still be making $10,000s every month through subscriptions, plus the adverts and product placements.

Some of these youtubers are earning many £100,000s every year through adverts alone...they dont join networks and do it as a job for nothing, its all about the vast amounts of money that can be earned.
Google is taking over the world!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
People should have guessed that forever ago. All of the online channels became just like television almost immediately. Hulu went from like 1 commercial to 3 commercial breaks with one commercial to finally 3 commercial breaks with 3 commercials per episode ( but you get to pick your own "commercial experience" by choosing from 3 products forcing you to look and making it even more annoying).

This was the obvious route since the ability to download shows easily and the ability to stream began.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

What if someones memory of a musical piece, or episode of a show, is so good that they're able to replicate it perfectly?

Copyright is a temporary pipedream. In a few years no such thing will exist.
edit on 24-2-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Luckily I grew up in a country where television was free. You pay to buy a tv set, or even build your own tv set if you're a mad scientist, and plug it in.

Information traveling over the air - for free!! Imagine that.

And the commercials were perfectly timed for a quick nip out to the loo, or to make a cup of coffee.

Video recorders were sold by the millions, people were recording the cartoons, the sitcoms, the movies, and watching them at their own leisure.. FREE!!! My god, it was beautiful.

Then the internet came along. Music was just under 100 meg wav files if you wanted to carry 1 or 2 songs on your cd to work. no joy in that. Then some bright spark decided that mpeg compression was the ticket.

and here we are, music is nothing but a digital copy of itself. Video is nothing but a regulation on when and where you can watch it and how much you're going to pay.

The day I pay for things I was getting for free - and still am getting for free if I wait months - is the day I'll throw it all away.

Can't wait for the day that as soon as you walk past a busker some ceo comes running up to sue you for not throwing 2 dollars in his guitar case, stealing his music as you wandered by.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I thought this was common knowledge already?? Norwegian mainstream media covered "pay per view/subsription" weeks ago. I thought this was something that had been announced by google itself.
But anyways.. According to Norwegian article they will do this for premium content and will start out with 25 pay channels with prices ranging between 1-5$.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

At some point, subscribers are going to say [snip]you, we're going somewhere else", and an opportunity for a new video sharing site will present itself.

I've been saying this about youtube for a couple of months. For three years I've had no problem whatsoever loading youtube vids. Then it suddenly started doing the stop and start crap. Honestly, I already had the notion that youtube was doing it deliberately so they could advertise no slow downs for $20 per month. The day they do this is the day I look somewhere else.

Actually i am pretty damn certain it is deliberate in my experience. I can stream a video or two just fine but then if i watch more it just stops buffering no matter what quality i use. Oddly enough using a proxy server seems to solve this issue.
Another odd thing is that it first started with firefox, but oddly enough google chrome worked fine for most part.
I then got the bright idea of spoofing chrome using a firefox extension to change the browser agent string and funnily enough that fixed my buffering problems until recently.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Explanation: S&F!

Never fear ... Antigua is here!

Antigua applies for permission to run 'pirate' website (by thov420 posted on 27-1-2013 @ 12:23 AM) [ATS]

Antigua is seeking permission to run a website that sells music, movies and software - but ignores copyright law.

The Caribbean island is due to appear before the World Trade Organization (WTO) on 28 January seeking permission to run the site.

The decision to set up the site is the end point of a long-running dispute with the US over gambling.

Well this seems very interesting and couldn't find anything in a search. It seems when the US banned our citizens from gambling through Antigua-based websites their government filed with the WTO and they agreed.

The WTO agreed with Antigua and dismissed a US appeal against its ruling. However, because the US took no action to lift the controls on cross-border gambling Antigua filed an application to recoup its lost cash by other means.

Please refer to the thread linked for the full story ok!

Personal Disclosure: It is not piracy .. it is FREE MARKET FORCES at play!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
lol

You guys are late

There is already pay to watch movies on youtube, or pay to watch TV shows.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Luckily I grew up in a country where television was free. You pay to buy a tv set, or even build your own tv set if you're a mad scientist, and plug it in.

Information traveling over the air - for free!! Imagine that.

And the commercials were perfectly timed for a quick nip out to the loo, or to make a cup of coffee.

Basic TV is free in the USA. It is like 8 channels. It is free because they make their money off commercials. A lot of Americans seem to forget these free channels exist for whatever reason. I know you're not from here tho.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I did a youtube search a few days ago on a fan made video (which I believe falls under “fair use”) that had some footage from an actual movie, and it offered me a “Pay per view” of the full movie instead. They also appeared to have limited the search engine to prevent other “fan made” videos based on full movies to not show up in the returned search list, so as to “push” their “pay per view” movie on you. If I had wanted to see the “full movie” I could have simply popped my purchased, fully licensed, Disk into my Blueray Player and watched it for free.

If youtube keeps going along these lines, they'll just end up out of business, and the “next” free video site will be waiting in the wings to take their place. People take great offense to being charged for what it was that they were previously getting for free, and the backlash will most likely put an end to their dominance. Now if they had been set up as a “netflix” type entity from day one, no one would have any issue with them acting this way.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Youtube is an arm of google so I definitely don't see that happening anytime soon.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Boycott youtube. I think it is predatory and irresponsible to host videos without screening them for abuse first. People are easily and often influenced and severely affected by what they see. I wouldn't pay to view anything off of youtube. Why not just wait until it gets posted elsewhere and watch it there?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Since youtube changed owners and google bought them I am pretty dissatisfied with the new format and options available there. I have started boycotting them already. Truth is, I am trying to like them, but can't. Someone should start a new youtube - just like the old youtube.
edit on 25-2-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I agree.

We've seen popular websites be deserted. Myspace is a perfect example. Facebook will soon be dead as well.

Has anyone noticed that their Facebook feeds are nothing buy "suggested" pages and advertisements? Have you noticed all the tiny steps they are taking to "monetize" you? Have you noticed the lack of content people are actually adding? People just click "like" and "share" these days. There's really no substance on Facebook (as if there was much to start!
)

Anyway, back to youtube. Someone will build a better mousetrap, and host the videos in a way and in a country where copyright laws don't apply. As soon as they plug one leak, someone invents a new one.

I find this quote prophetic:

Mr. Universe: You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The second YouTube goes pay to view is the moment that ANY runner up takes the spot light and reels millions in ad revenue. Greed is bad for business.

Google better watch its back too. What happens to yahoo can happen to Google.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join