It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dennis McKenna - A New Theory Of Neural Evolution & Species Wide Brain Damage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Incredibly fascinating interview with Dr. Dennis McKenna (brother of Terence) who is a leading ethnopharmacologist and all around fascinating guy.

www.disinfo.com...

Has anyone seen this? His explanation is pretty intruiging and after reading the research he cites i find that it holds together very well. It basically looks into how the materials we used to build and fuel the human brain over tens of millions of years (i.e. diet) influenced its development, and how these changes could be passed on through an epigenetic mechanism.

If you change the build materials and fuel of any technology, then its functionality will consequently change as a result. If you build a car out of cardboard how could you expect it to work right? Biologist catherine milton has found that the materials we build our brains out of has changed out of all recognition is a very short time.

On average we now get roughly 5% or less of the galaxy of biochemicals that were present for tens of millions of years, influencing gene transcription, brain activity, hormones, the endocrine systems development, ect ect..

Anyways, apart from explaining that theory in depth Dennis- later in the interview- goes into the bigger cosmological picture and riffs on a lot of mind blowing ideas that people seem to intuit, but lack the technical or philosophical understanding to ever fully articulate.

Heres the playlist of all the videos from the interview
www.youtube.com...

Definitely worth a listen!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bobwilson

Thanks, I will study this one. Dennis McKenna co-wrote a book with his brother, and had many adventures with him.

By the way, is your user name in "honor" of Robert Anton Wilson? My "Aleister" handle is a bit of a homage to Crowley's work and life as well as a real-world name connection.

edit on 24-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Looks interesting, I need to sit and watch these tomorrow ...... but it would tend to make sense, even the little you stated in the OP

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Thanks, I will study this one. Dennis McKenna co-wrote a book with his brother, and had many adventures with him.

By the way, is your user name in "honor" of Robert Anton Wilson? My "Aleister" handle is a bit of a homage to Crowley's work and life as well as a real-world name connection.

For sure. RAW had a profound influence on my life. I consider his books cosmic trigger and prometheus rising essential reading for anyone interesting in...well...anything hahah

BTW the book dennis mentions and the theory he describes shed a #load of light onto the work of people like robert anton wilson!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobwilson

For sure. RAW had a profound influence on my life. I consider his books cosmic trigger and prometheus rising essential reading for anyone interesting in...well...anything hahah

BTW the book dennis mentions and the theory he describes shed a #load of light onto the work of people like robert anton wilson!

Agreed. And if by some weird chance that a reader of this thread hasn't read or seen Wilson in lecture (he died several years ago) you're in for a treat. Terrence McKenna, Leary, Wilson, and several others, have a collective body of work that, with youtube and overall internet accessibility, they share, after their death, with new generations and new seekers of fun and truth.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobwilson

Agreed. And if by some weird chance that a reader of this thread hasn't read or seen Wilson in lecture (he died several years ago) you're in for a treat. Terrence McKenna, Leary, Wilson, and several others, have a collective body of work that, with youtube and overall internet accessibility, they share, after their death, with new generations and new seekers of fun and truth.

Undoubtedly!

Not much is better than some good headphones, and a long mckenna, alan watts, or bob wilson talk. It really takes your mind on a ride.
edit on 24-2-2013 by bobwilson because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2013 by bobwilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

You may want to hurry and edit your last post. A policy here of not mentioning personal experiences with certain things is maintained with an iron fist. Watch out, here it comes /ducks out of the way/

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
*whistles nonchalantly..change what post?

i've read many threads on the forum about things such as dmt...so the policy is just that as long as it isn't a description of someones personal experience, its ok to talk about?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

...that said, yep, all of what you said. And to get deep into the data on consciousness, on what we are and how our minds are put together as well as how our minds put everything else together, nothing better (well, some things better). But on the topic of this thread, tomorrow I'll watch/listen to the Dennis McKenna talk and wander back to this thread for sure. Thanks OP, for a good Dennis McKenna thread (and if you contact him he may join the discussion at some point - he'd be a very good ATS member if he isn't already!)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Not really, no. The reasoning makes very good sense. The owners of ATS want to keep the website accessible to schools, libraries, etc., and many of those places use very strict filters. Thus the ban on certain words. Oh well.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Ok thanks, i appreciate the tip

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

On average we now get roughly 5% or less of the galaxy of biochemicals that were present for tens of millions of years.

This intrigues me. I want to know how it was determined, and how and why these biochemicals went missing.

I'm afraid I have no time to spare for watching videos. Is it possible you might provide a brief response to these questions? Many thanks.

edit on 1/3/13 by Astyanax because: it's an interrogative.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Sound and light. That is all that is needed. We are gross forms needing the material. We were created to evolve into energy eaters of these frequencies ultimately. Robert A. Monroe, Monroe Institute of Applied Sciences; Virginia (sound wave formations effects on human behavior). Precept? modulating sound frequency balancing the two sides of the brain hemispheres results in spontaneous out of body experiences. No mescaline needed. Terrance McKenna was awesome and his research highly underrated categorized as hippy woo woo? (too ahead of its time). Brilliant. He and Tesla were brothers.

edit on 1-3-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

we are missing lots of good brain ingredients,, gold for example,, man that stuff makes you fly..

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by solve

we are missing lots of good brain ingredients,, gold for example,, man that stuff makes you fly..

monoatomic gold? ;]

top topics

join