It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Buddhism is Not Leading Anyone to Him or Herself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If a calculus professor explains calculus as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division,

Does an explanation of the elements of calculus lead anyone to an understanding of anything?

Every wonder why people that appear and claim to understand things cause so much confusion?

Don’t pay attention to anything but yourself, use your mind to focus on yourself, simply: you are the only teacher in the entire universe..

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kapablanka

Out of curiosity, why did you single out Buddhism with this?

All that Buddhism tries to do is make you aware of the dependence you have on desires. The road which Buddhism offers is not one of "enlightenment" as is commonly thrown around on ATS, but one of escape from desire, lust, and dependency.

Why not single out one of the faiths which actually demands that you change your lifestyle, your opinions, your likes/dislikes, and how you feel about the life you live?

Outside of that, it is a good message though; being true to yourself.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Sorry, your post has left me dazed and confused.
But I guess that is what you are saying, huh?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Funnily enough what you just said is actually a big part of Buddhism.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

And you are teaching too in your post.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Consciousness is dead (unmovable) without desire. It is desire which gives it life and allows it to move. So if Buddhism is teaching to let go of all desire, it is telling people to not be individual and to be zombies.

Even as fundamental as survival is a desire, and from the desire to survive (out of fear of death) we need food and water.

I agree that there are SOME desires that are worth letting go of, but to sacrifice the spiritual flow (passion) does not seem like a path to lead you to yourself but a path of detachment (self-dettachment and worldly-dettachment).

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Teacher and the student, human and humanity, the world we have created.
We are it all, the observer is the observed.

S&F

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

you are the only teacher in the entire universe.

This is what buddhism teaches you.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
There are people excelling at calculus.
There are buddhists finding themselves and the truth.

But yes, not everyone uses the same tools for the same task.
Different hats for different heads. Instead of trying to deny a path of wisdom only because it confuses you, try to find a path that is relevant to you.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

To a Buddhist the only things which can arise from desire is impermanence. The entire emotional spectrum, according to Buddhism, is illusory because it offers no lasting, solid, results.

Instead, after we pursue a fulfilling desire, and experience a positive emotion, it subsides and we become less happy, and experience less pleasant emotions, until we force ourselves back to whatever desire made us happy.

Buddhism doesn't see this as freedom, but as subservience. You are subservient to your emotions, because they, and not you, control what actions you perform.

When you still all movement, temper all desires, and escape from that chain of dependency, then you are truly free, and become a master of yourself. You are no longer subject to any external stimulus, no longer bound to the cycle of happiness leading to unhappiness, requiring more happiness, which only creates more unhappiness. You escape from the Wheel of Samsara, from being reincarnated in a body driven by desire, and you become something outside and beyond the application of cause and effect.

I'm not a Buddhist though. I happen to agree with you that emotions are a good thing, so long as we temper them, and avoid particular ones which cause other human beings unnecessary harm or suffering.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
There is no such thing as being led to yourself. That's just a mind game that plays in the form of schizophrenic delusions. You ARE the self.
ALL of the Buddhist koan's, which you all interpret as commandments to be obeyed, were meant to bring you to a deeper recognition of yourself.

'Let go of your desires' is a Koan NOT a commandment! It's a catch 22 skillful device used to bring a COMMITED devotee to a deeper understanding of himself and his mental nonsense. It is designed to expose the fraud and illusion of mind. It is not a measure of Holiness, and should not be a symbol of spiritual pride. The koan is used as a means. It is to bring you to a profound recognition of the nature of your mind.

If understood and transmitted correctly, Buddhism can lead you out of your mind. It does not pretend to lead you to yourself, to God or to enlightenment. Only when you see the mind for what it is, can you return to your true nature, and live in unmoving peace and joy. Buddhism is one way to achieve this. So called 'enlightenment' is not necessary to live a peaceful and fulfilled life. That is why, for the masses, Buddha focused the scope of his teachings to that of the transcendence of mind/false self only.
edit on 25-2-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

That is kinda taught by Buddhism, it more complex than that. However, next time go ahead and study more and make a better post before bashing against any religion or philosophy.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
No bashing, just some truth mixed with lies, and did I post this thread I think it was an accident but OK,

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Buddhism is a philosophical, spiritual education, its not a preaching nor leading. Buddha said question everything.

Selflessness! says it all.

What part of that did the OP not understand??

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES THE GENIUS IN THIS THREAD ????

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I don't see it, honestly. It is a bit naive to suggest that you are the only teacher in existence. If this were the case, you wouldn't be able to learn anything new and you would have been able to survive as a baby without the need for your mother/father. Also, suggesting that people pay attention only to themselves will cause harm.

If you are only focusing on yourself, other people could be suffering but you will only focus "within" so you won't do anything to protect yourself until it is too late, not fully understanding the problem as you do not care for "outside" information or whatever you perceive to be "negative".

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

I don't see it, honestly. It is a bit naive to suggest that you are the only teacher in existence. If this were the case, you wouldn't be able to learn anything new and you would have been able to survive as a baby without the need for your mother/father. Also, suggesting that people pay attention only to themselves will cause harm.

If you are only focusing on yourself, other people could be suffering but you will only focus "within" so you won't do anything to protect yourself until it is too late, not fully understanding the problem as you do not care for "outside" information or whatever you perceive to be "negative".

What comes first in your opinion for evolution of a soul.

Service to self or service to others?

I do not think the OP said to pay attention only to ourselves unless they see themselves as all in existence, with that view in mind one must focus on the self to allow the illusion of separation to continue in the minds of others.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
[more

From your post it's clear you don't really understand what you are trying to talk about.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

I don't believe any of those "come first". There is desire and all spirits/beings have their desires for different (life) experiences.

top topics

join