It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aspartame in Milk Without a Label? Big Dairy Petitions FDA For Approval

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out - but as I read it the petition is NOT for the artificial sweetener to be removed from the list of ingredients at all, nor for milk to be "redefined" in any way.

It is for the requirement that the milk be advertised as "reduced calorie" or "Lite" or similar to be removed.

Other foods already do this eg icecream swettened with non-sugar additives is not required to have this labelling.

Umm, no offense, but what article did you read? The one posted in the OP? Because that article clearly states they're trying to take regularly FLAVORED milk, that's been flavored with refined sugars, and sub them out with "non-nutritive" sweeteners such as aspartame without indicating any such switch. To "combat childhood obesity."

Puhlease. All you need is a basic understanding of biochemistry to know that artificial sweeteners LEAD you to eat MORE because you receive none of the metabolic signals of fullness that you do when you consume foods with real sugar in it. Real sugar of course spikes your blood glucose levels and if you eat too much of the refined stuff you can gain weight. The artificial sweeteners have you downing the poison and then getting no satisfaction of fullness thus leading you to still be hungry.
edit on 26-2-2013 by ElectricGreen because: terminology fix

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
OMG are they MAD!

This is about the Elites devolving the lower and middle classes into a sub human species over a long period of time
Eventually the human race will be split into 2 groups.

Wealthy Super humans who eat very healthy and have anti ageing treatments and genetic augmentations and live for around 200 - 300 years

Sub human Slave who eats crap and the crap they put into it to purposely devolve you into an unhealthy dumb subordinate humanoid that cant think for themselves and live 30 - 50 years.

I guess their excuse would be survival of the fittest after all its is a human RACE!. A race for what I ask.

In the future lower classes will be eating some kind of protein paste that comes from a tube.
edit on 27/2/13 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

Probably each other, a la Soylent Green.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
After reading this thread I did some research on aspartame. I wonder what the financial goal of adding this to milk would be?

www.fitday.com...

Cancer

Studies have found a dangerous connection between aspartame consumption and the development of brain tumors. When aspartame breaks down it produces a substance called DKP. As your stomach digests DKP, it produces a chemical that induces the growth of brain tumors.

Diabetes

Aspartame consumption is extremely harmful to people with diabetes. It makes it more difficult to control sugar levels and aggravate diabetes-related conditions such as retinopathy, cataracts, neuropathy and gastroparesis. The sweetener also has been known to cause convulsions often mistaken for insulin reactions.

Psychological Disorders

Emotional and mood disorders have been linked to aspartame. Studies suggest that people with certain emotional problems are more sensitive to aspartame. High levels of aspartame cause changes in the serotonin levels which can lead to behavioral problems, depression and other emotional disorders. In some cases, the side effects were so dangerous that doctors were forced to put an end to the studies.

Hinders Weight Loss

Aspartame can be found in diet sodas and most other diet products. However, research indicates that the sweetener increases your hunger and can actually impede your weight loss. Phenylalanine and aspartic acid can cause spikes in insulin levels and force your body to remove the glucose from your blood stream and store it as fat. Aspartame also inhibits the production of serotonin and prevents your brain from signalling to your body that you are full. This can lead to food cravings and make it more difficult for you to lose weight.

Birth Defects

Aspartame is an excitotoxin or a substance that has the potential to damage or kill cells in the nervous system. The blood-brain barrier is a structure that stops harmful substances from penetrating the brain. The barrier doesn't completely form until a child is one year old, therefore, before a child is born, its nervous system is vulnerable to any dangerous excitotoxins that the mother may consume. Too much exposure to phenylalanine or aspartic acid may cause irreversible brain damage and other serious birth defects.
Vision Problems

Methanol, one of Aspartame's components, can damage the retinas and the optic nerves. Aspartame consumption has been connected to eye pain, blurred vision and, in some cases, blindness.

Brain Damage and Seizures

Aspartame can change the chemistry of the brain. Formaldehyde, a product of methanol, gathers in certain areas of the brain causing degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and ALS. Aspartame consumption can also trigger seizures in both epileptics and other individuals without a history of epilepsy.

Aspartame may contain fewer calories than sugar, however, the toxic sweetener has the potential to cause serious damage to the nervous system and in the worst case scenarios can be fatal.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricGreen

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out - but as I read it the petition is NOT for the artificial sweetener to be removed from the list of ingredients at all, nor for milk to be "redefined" in any way.

It is for the requirement that the milk be advertised as "reduced calorie" or "Lite" or similar to be removed. [/

Other foods already do this eg icecream swettened with non-sugar additives is not required to have this labelling.

Umm, no offense, but what article did you read? The one posted in the OP? Because that article clearly states they're trying to take regularly FLAVORED milk, that's been flavored with refined sugars, and sub them out with "non-nutritive" sweeteners such as aspartame without indicating any such switch. To "combat childhood obesity."

Yes - I get that.

I'm talking about the labelling requirements that they are appealing against. That is the substantive part of their petition.

Puhlease. All you need is a basic understanding of biochemistry to know that artificial sweeteners LEAD you to eat MORE because you receive none of the metabolic signals of fullness that you do when you consume foods with real sugar in it. Real sugar of course spikes your blood glucose levels and if you eat too much of the refined stuff you can gain weight. The artificial sweeteners have you downing the poison and then getting no satisfaction of fullness thus leading you to still be hungry.

and I get that - but it is irrelevant to the pioint I am making - which is that the petition does NOT ask for asparmatine or other "non-nutritive" (or whatever) sweeteners to be removed from the list of ingredients as many have claimed.

Indeed your point actualy supports their request to remove "low calorie" or "lite" labelling requirements - because those imply a weight reducing function of some sort which your comments celarly show you do not believe in.

If you read the first para in the article in the OP it states:

Two powerful dairy organizations, The International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF), are petitioning the Food and Drug Administration to allow aspartame and other artificial sweeteners to be added to milk and other dairy products without a label.

note my emphasis - as far as I can see this is wrong for the reasons I have mentioned.
edit on 27-2-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
This is among the things my wife is allergic to. She most definitely has a reaction to it, as do millions of Americans. The FDA needs to be broken into two things here.....

How about: The FDA needs to be broken. Period. Dissolved. Ripped apart. Finito.

And after we deal with those political miscreants, we need to go after the individuals pulling the strings for "Big Dairy". I propose the penalty should fit the crime. How 'bout we bring back burning-at-the-stake?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter
I propose the penalty should fit the crime. How 'bout we bring back burning-at-the-stake?

What crime?

the organisations are following the legal procedure requierd to get this change. They have put up arguments, it is able to be debated by the public and you can make submissions.

What sort of system would you rather have - one where they can just do what they like??

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Contrary to what the mainstream media tells you Aspartame really does cause brain cancer and pancreatic cancer... Don't eat dairy products, in fact don't eat anything if the body doesn't need it to survive, it's all poison...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Something to consider doing maybe?
(I like milk, but this story about Aspertame has me decidedly thinking I will be giving it up soon.)

Kick Pasteurized Milk To The Curb And Make Your Own Healthy Nut Milk
www.wakingtimes.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is appalling.
Why can't they just leave people be to eat what THEY want, when THEY choose. Sure, make Aspartame an option if they like, but as long as it's an option and not being forced onto unaware people.
I'd personally like to see Aspartame banned completely, it has no nutritional value and is of no use to anyone or anything.
There are a few petitions knocking around on the internet, all official one's. When I checked last night, the official federal one only had 36 complaints, which I found odd, I thought everyone would be flooding there to sign it.
I signed it and I'm hoping enough people do to get this stopped.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Oh no come onnn....
Aspartame in Milk??????

Kids already love milk as it is, why add aspartame to it???
This is just completely disgusting, this would make it next to impossible to avoid aspartame!

Yes I know it's already hard, but I don't drink diet anything or chew gum and other stuff.
But milk is a big part of my daily life because I put it in coffee, tea, cereal, food dishes, and other forms of food, even scrambled eggs.

If the FDA even did a petition I think most people would say no to it by a landslide.

PLEASE DO NOT HAPPEN!!!!!!!

usahitman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

When I was living in California (Sunnyvale), a supermarket by the name Lucky's used to sell milk with added sugar. I don't think there was a single brand that didn't have added sugar. It really tasted sugary . A two litre carton had more sugar than a can of Pepsi.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Milk is for babies
dont drink milk the hormones turn men into women, the mind and man boobs

drink rice milk from long life milk section

you will notice your body and mind changes for the better with no dairy

yogurt is ok as the hormones are changed by bacteria

soy milk is bad for you so get rice milk its delicious

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This is maddening. Soon we will only get to eat what the PTB want us to eat. If you want a real eye opener, one should read More Natural Cures Revealed By Kevin Trudeau. Read how Aspartame came to be. It is totally shocking! Pages 235 to 243. You will be left in awe!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join