It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aspartame in Milk Without a Label? Big Dairy Petitions FDA For Approval

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Aspartame in Milk Without a Label? Big Dairy Petitions FDA For Approval

usahitman.com

Two powerful dairy organizations, The International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF), are petitioning the Food and Drug Administration to allow aspartame and other artificial sweeteners to be added to milk and other dairy products without a label.

They claim that aspartame and other artificial sweeteners would promote healthy eating and is good for school children.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.courthousenews.com

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Oh no come onnn....
Aspartame in Milk??????

Kids already love milk as it is, why add aspartame to it???
This is just completely disgusting, this would make it next to impossible to avoid aspartame!

Yes I know it's already hard, but I don't drink diet anything or chew gum and other stuff.
But milk is a big part of my daily life because I put it in coffee, tea, cereal, food dishes, and other forms of food, even scrambled eggs.

If the FDA even did a petition I think most people would say no to it by a landslide.

PLEASE DO NOT HAPPEN!!!!!!!

usahitman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+46 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I can't believe how stupid this whole civilization is getting.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is among the things my wife is allergic to. She most definitely has a reaction to it, as do millions of Americans. The FDA needs to be broken into two things here. One for the promotion of food and drugs and one for the enforcement.

Having it under the SAME roof, the way it's always been? It's absurd. Just which side are they on here? People have allergies to this. It's not a mere academic debate of what may be good or bad for us as a whole. This is the same Government that goes APE over peanut allergies ..and perhaps there is a good point there. I don't know. Ignoring the dangers here is just unforgivable though.

This garbage needs to be taken out of everything, in my strong opinion. However, to add it to anything else and off label? That ought to be criminal.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well, we all know that this is going to go the way of the private interest wishes thanks to the whores in congress.

I am sure that their filthy wealthy elite children will not be touching the poisoning crap at all, so let keep poisoning the poor and middle class in the nation.

Thankfully I don't drink the crap they call manufacture milk this days.
and so every parent in the nation should make sure that they don't let that poison come close to their children either.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Im not sure if im confused or not....is this for white milk or just for flavored milk? If I want chocolate or strawberry milk I mix my own up normally, but I certainly do not want sweeteners in my white milk.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just blech...... I cannot stand any artificial sweeteners and don't know why anyone would put them in milk. If it is for flavored milk drinks, they need to include all the ingredients now, so why the petition. If it is to make regular milk sweet? Yuck.
Sounds like a really dangerous precedence. Hoping it is either untrue or soundly spanked down by the FDA for even suggesting it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
I can't believe how stupid this whole civilization is getting.

It's because of the aspartame.

It doesn't need to be in anything, especially milk. What with milk being so unflavorful and disgusting that children won't drink it.

It begs the question, though - what does aspartame do for/to people that is beneficial to the ones who put it in our food?

By the way, humans should consume breast milk when they are a baby. After that, there is no reason to drink it whatsoever.

Cheese, however... yes, please.

edit on 24-2-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I think people are moving away from milk, slowly, but surely. This seems like a desperate attempt to save the dying diary industry.

DC

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think the depopulation plans are in full swing via the control of food. The smart ones that know of the potential hazards of our food supply and can afford to avoid them will survive another day to breed. Those
that will blindly purchase the poison out of convenience or addiction will eventually die off while making the board members of medical complex companies even richer. The only reason that regulators are in bed with Ari-business is because we let them. Too many people are asleep at the wheel.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
...is this for white milk or just for flavored milk?

If this passes we'll never know what we are getting it in, white, flavored, buttermilk, or other. Raw milk is nearly unobtainable anymore.

...are petitioning the Food and Drug Administration to allow aspartame and other artificial sweeteners to be added to milk and other dairy products without a label.

Seems apparent they want to poison our food and pass laws to prevent us from producing or obtaining wholesome foods without it. Coming soon, a pure processed food diet.

edit on 24-2-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I was wondering when they'd start targetting my Hortons' coffee with some mass effect, but no, nothing is going untouched in this buyer beware market. Organic community greenhouses and personal greenhouses may be the regional answer to this nonsense, offering year-round growing and no aerial contamination. I hate this societies idiocy too.

Aspartame Damages The Brain at Any Dose

Did you know that Aspartame has been proven to cause brain damage by leaving traces of Methanol in the blood? It makes you wonder why Aspartame has been approved as “safe” and is found in thousands of food products. Currently more than 90 countries have given the artificial sweetener the “OK” to be used in foods.

“Multiple Sclerosis is often misdiagnosed, and that it could be aspartame poisoning” – Montel Williams

(more)

usahitman.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
wow now the milk it is all ready added to some bottled water & vitamin tablets here in the uk . now those idiots have rebranded aspartame as a NATURAL sweetner and changed its name again
s& f bud

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Here's the request for an amendment on the federal register site. It is for flavored milk, which is stupid to begin with even if you flavor it yourself chances are you're getting aspartame or high fructose corn syrup anyway but that's beside the point, as well as 17 other dairy products.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is announcing that the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) have filed a petition requesting that the Agency amend the standard of identity for milk and 17 other dairy products to provide for the use of any safe and suitable sweetener as an optional ingredient. FDA is issuing this notice to request comments, data, and information about the issues presented in the petition.

Looks like this petition was filed in 2009. I have no idea if it passed or not or is still pending. But it seems what the article claims is true.

Finally, IDFA and NMPF argue that the proposed amendments to the milk standard of identity would promote honesty and fair dealing in the marketplace and are therefore appropriate under section 401 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 341).

Tons of links to follow to a bunch of gobbly gook wording care of the State.

Outrageous.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
There is no reason, if aspartame is safe, why they would desire to put it into a product without its presence being clearly printed on the label?

The fact is that people have a right to decide what ends up in thier bodies. Clear, and comprehensive labels on food and drink are the only way to achieve that in the modern age. Most folks cannot just walk down the garden, hop the fence, and get the fresh stuff right from the source where milk is concerned. Those who can, are lucky, but the rest have to purchase mass produced, bottled stuff. Right from the chilled aisle at thier local store.

If people are forced by location, to purchase certain brands from certain suppliers, and those companies are placing additional content in that product, then the company have a responsibility to thier customers to ensure that the label on the product gives an honest account of its content.

There can be no legitimate reason to do otherwise.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I know it's hilarious to consider... but perhaps the FDA will stand up for common sense and throw this petition for aspartame in milk... in the trash

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Egads!,! Like we need another reason not to buy milk!

Upon mild reflection, I wonder if this stems from quality control issues. When I was actively involved in the nutraceutical industry, it was common practice to have to mix whey protein with sweeteners and flavoring s and other batches of whey in order to get a consistantly tasting product. Batch to batch, whey can be bitter, sweet, smooth, chalky, etc.

If dairy producers are using milk of questionable sources and stuff chock full of hormones, antibiotics, and god know what, then I am sure that they might be having taste inconsistencies like the whey industry. Using a cheap sweetener like aspartame would allow
them to adulterate their product with little means for joe public to test it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I don't drink diet soda because one kind of artificial sweetener gives me migranes and the other kind affects my taste as if I've been licking aluminum foil all day. Sugar may not be that great for me (could be considered at risk for type 2 diabetes given family history), but at least it doesn't mess me up on a noticable a level like the fake stuff. Now why would I want that stuff in my milk? At least require that they label it so I know what to avoid without wasting my money.

Also milk on it's own doesn't really need any extra sugars. It has lactose, which does the job decently enough.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Why is aspartame an ingredient in many medications? Is it a substitute for the horrendous cancer causing sachrine of the 70's?

Milk? or Really kid's school milk? Or kids anything milk? The stuff is HIGHLY addictive, could this be the rationale?

Putting it in milk does solve one problem, it eliminates the hyper vigilance on temperature of the chemical, as temps over 85 (?) degrees render it an EPA toxin.

Next time you're with a friend who "loves" their diet coke. Stop everything and really study their vibe before, during, and after consuming the beverage. Watch the legs, the eyes and the demeanor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join