It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Waiting Game: Do You Feel It?

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560
For those who feel that they are meant to do something special or great be careful. That could be a sign of schizophrenia. It is called having delusions of grandeur

www.healthyplace.com...

While it can be indicative of a mental disorder, it is also historically 100% accurate.

Especially given technology, and its exponential (not linear) growth rate, I have no doubt whatsoever that in the next decade or two, at most, we will start to see some incredible technologies released. I also suspect this will happen on quite a few different scales, as everything is so dependent on technology.

How this is handled by the population will be very important in whether it is used to destroy or learn, or a combination of the two. Coupled with the voice the internet gives to individuals, it starts to involve more of the populace without third party representation. This process is ongoing, as the people alive at any given time are responsible for the success or failure of their "world," but I think that technology has put us in a unique position this time around.
edit on 25-2-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

If cherry picking is reading each post from page one through page four. ( thats how far I got on my kindle ) I guess I did.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

For those who feel that they are meant to do something special or great be careful. That could be a sign of schizophrenia. It is called having delusions of grandeur

www.healthyplace.com...

Yes, I can see how whatever this is would be viewed this way but you're wrong. And to others thinking along these lines, well...someone earlier said it best.

A previous poster pointed out twice that we are watching the skies while a train awaits us if we would look and see it.
I think that many posters here are well aware of the train.
But we know that it stinks, the windows are filthy and many other passengers are dangerous psychopaths, also a train only follows tracks and doesn't deviate from its course.
Many of us choose to await the next transport.
~HumansEh

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

i think you are, no actually i know you are, missing the point of this thread entirely.
nobody thinks they are meant to do something great.
we feel that something great is due to happen
delusions of grandeur?
nobody here is that big-headed

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I feel the "waiting" also. I also feel like I am in the wrong skin most of the time, don't know how else to explain it.
34 year old RH positve blood (cannot remember the type). I am a kid at heart and now that I have a small child; can play like a kid also

edit on 25-2-2013 by froglegs79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yes I too have been waiting my whole life for what I have no idea. I'm 51 years old now and I'm growing wary of the wait.

I find myself wanting it to just be over as well.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Alas, I too have the pull of that indescribable force on my heart, on my mind. Everyday I wake up to the pounding, the not pounding, in my body; "Is today the day I've been waiting for?" Always crosses loudly across my mind, and silently over my lips. I must admit, for the first time, that the forces, the tension, the waiting, and all the other vague and specific feelings expressed by everyone in this thread is why I drink. I must suppress the recurring dreams, the tension, the stress, the persistence, the increasing pressure. The waiting allows for optimism with the thought of experiencing that which I have waited for for an eternity; yet the waiting carries with it much pain, much confusion, much sorrow.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Oh well...so much for 20 some od pages of troll free and open communication. I had a feeling they would come...I was waiting for them!

(Get it? Waiting for them!)

I have the cure...

edit on 2/25/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Mankind is blessed with curiosity. Necessity is the mother of invention. These are not just idle words. They endure because they show us that we have always felt this way. No man is an island is another good one. I put that out there for those who say they prefer being alone. We are not happy alone. Too much alone makes a person too introspective and that can lead to loss of esteem. I am not religious but the message from most religions is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Not as some seem to think "as they do unto you" It is clearly that you should treat others the way you yourself expect to or would like to be treated. If we can do that just a little each day then you have lived life well . Stop waiting for the "EVENT" and go make someone happier than they are right now.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

See, and this is what I read in your reply:

Be like everyone else. Feel like everyone else. Understand that you're depressed if you aren't an extrovert and aren't caught up in what everyone else is doing.

Now I don't mean that to be mean, it is actually funny to me. But what I see is that you totally missed what most people here have been talking about, too. Rather than being lost in the shiny outside world, yes, most that have posted here look inward, too. But see, the world needs more of that. Desperately. Constantly distracting oneself with the external so as to not have to think about the internal is very, very unhealthy in the long run.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Hi Karen61560, thanks for taking the time to post, while you are partially correct it would be a mistake to be so quick to diagnose depression as a cause of people harbouring deep feelings of detachment and a sense of anticipation.

Do not confuse disillusionment with the world for self loathing or dislike of fellow humans. Many posters propose getting out and throwing yourself into life or it will pass uneventfully and unfulfilled.

'Carpe diem' is widely misinterpreted as going out and proactively 'sieze the day' by doing stuff that may scare you.
Many of us on this thread have reached an age when actually giving ourselves the time to step back from life and the world is actually in reality 'seizing the day'

A hermit such as myself 'siezes the day' every day, we simply have, want nor need the world to witness us do it.'
Humans eh!'

edit on 25-2-2013 by HumansEh because: typo

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

Too much focus on the negative and speculating on what I am all about based on one post is just silly. I have many levels and some of them are downright ugly. I admit that.
I do not say to be like everyone else. Where did you get that. Be yourself but recognize that you are not alone on this planet. You have others to turn to and you have something to give. We can always find someone less fortunate than ourselves. We can pity them or we can help ourselves by helping them. Helping someone else always makes a person feel better.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This thread makes me sad in so many ways.

I see so many people that seem to have lost all hope and are waiting for some major event to change their lives.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. Mahatma Gandhi

Get back to some things that used to make you happy as a child. Start to enjoy at least one thing in your lives, then build upon that each day.

If you don't like your life, then change it to exactly how you would like it to be.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
Is it my imagination or are there a lot of 31's, 41's, 51's posting on this thread. I posted about me earlier but then deleted, I am 41 and have read at least 4 31's and 3 other 41's and that's only reading a few posts here and there.

I'm supposed to be 42 but dont feel it at all...

And like others have said its a strange feeling when I walk about.... sometimes I feel invisible to others... actually most of the time I feel invisible to others.... and I also see many people who are sleepwalking their way through life!!

link   

While many wait for an event, that very event is waiting to be created. A bit of a conundrum.

With this specific period of time though, I think technology allows us as individuals to have more "impact" than we would otherwise.

If technology continues to grow in the way it is expected, I would say that each individual alive not only has a responsibility in how they choose their actions (as it has always been), but are also given a world wide voice through things like the internet. I think that once this ability is better realized, the speed at which technology advances alongside culture might be incredibly interesting. And because of that technology, every person here in this thread is more enabled to have a voice and input on the advancements (as opposed to the age when fire was discovered as a tool).

Really should be interesting...

link   
I just turned 33. I've had the same feeling and the older I get the more I withdraw from the immediate world around me. It's so fake and annoying. I've been feeling a bit depressed lately bc I always held this belief that I was supposed to help when the change came, but my physical health and disability is getting worse and I'm starting to lose the hope I once had. I've felt like I've been holding my breath, like any second I'll plunge into freezing cold water and wake up from this fog.

I'm still waiting.

While reading thru the responses here I kept thinking had others in other times felt this way? When?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I was reading this thread on my kindle for a good part of the day and since it is hard to reply on the kindle with that tiny Barbie sized keyboard I just read without adding anything to the thread.
This is what I read.
I have always felt this way. I feel that life has no purpose. I do not like other people. I prefer to be alone. I am a hermit. The world sucks the way it is.
These are all symptoms of serious depression and from reading this thread it seems that there are a few people on this website that are suffering from it.
Each post is an almost carbon copy of the post before it and here you guys are slapping each other on the back saying hey I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. This is a good start for some kind of group therapy. If you can continue to explore these feelings without going off the deep end into the enlightenment genre I am willing to bet that with time all of you can eliminate those feelings of waiting for something. As John Lennon put it. Life is what happens while you're making other plans. Its life. We are born, we die. What happens in between is your life experiences. Some of these are good and some of these are bad. Some are very personal and some are societal such as Sept 11 or the Japan EQ. In total they make up a life. Experience has taught me that focusing on the bad things makes me feel bad and focusing on the good makes me feel good. Not that the bad needs to go completely unexplored, no not at all however the focus should be on how to improve the bad or learn from it so that we can be proactive in the future and not repeat the mistakes of the past. I hope I have not stepped on any toes but I really do not think that there is anything mystical about what you are feeling. It is discontent and that can be changed. My first piece of advice would be to refocus onto someone other than yourself. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. Go help out at the SPCA. There is a girl in NY I think it is who stands at the subway station platform giving away oranges every day and wishing everyone a good day. I am betting that she never questions what her existence is all about. She is focused on other people and spreading cheer not introverted and speculating on the meaning of a life unexamined. I am subject to the doldrums too and when I get that way I too question why. I have to pull myself up and out of it. Ok. thats my two cents.

Once again, you've misunderstood the point.

I'm not laying around in bed, hiding from the world, curled into a little ball of depression. I am in life, doing things I love, and having a great time doing it. I'm not waiting for a sense of purpose, or out of a feeling of inadequacy.

It's a sense of anticipation. Kinda like how the air feels charged before a thunderstorm and you can sense the impending tempest. Well, I feel the charge in the air...and I'm waiting for the storm.

And as to the relevance of "speculating on the meaning of a life unexamined," you do recognize the contradiction in terms? You can't speculate on something without first examining it.

As Socrates once said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
There seems to be a common Denominator. From most of the replies that I have read we are all from generation X
I'm 41 and I feel like I'm 25

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. That being said, we are having a fine and thoughtful thread. But be careful Karen, watch out for any type of inner harmony. We all wish you the best. If you choose not to see we respect that.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Can I ask you if you have ever had a bad accident? Or had anything inside you, like a cancer or tumur? Or any other kind of defect which could have killed you?

If you answer 'NO' to all the above questions, you could be like myself.

I've never had a mortal illness, but I was sick once and hospitalized for a week before they did exploratory surgery. turned out my gall bladder was diseased and I had a stone lodged in the duct, it had cut partway through. I was sick enough that my kidneys shut down and my heart was in arrhythmia, that's why they did the surgery. But I don't think I was in danger of dying from it.

No bad accidents, but several near misses. I was raped when I was younger, but I don't think my life was in danger (although its hard to know that when its happening).

So I guess I'd answer no, I've never really been near death. Knock on wood.

Ok, well... glad to read that you are well now and sorry for your ordeals!!

I have had some #ty experiences in my life too but now I'm just floating along and I think this year something is going to happen in my personal Life.... its about bloody time as i've had plenty of bad luck with people!

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join