It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Find Evidence That The Universe Is A 'Giant Brain'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
if there is a connection, than i would rather think that the human brain
is build by the concept of the universe.
if everything evolve and nature seeks perfection
then at first came the universe, and later came the brain

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

reply to post by _BoneZ_

Not exactly repetition.

The reason is in the article, a new study published November 2012 in Open Access journal Scientific Reports.

www.nature.com/srep/2012/121113/srep00793/full/srep00793.html

Network Cosmology

Dmitri Krioukov, Maksim Kitsak, Robert S. Sinkovits, David Rideout, David Meyer & Marián Boguñá

Scientific Reports 2, Article number: 793 | doi:10.1038/srep00793

Received 23 July 2012 | Accepted 03 October 2012 | Published 16 November 2012

Prediction and control of the dynamics of complex networks is a central problem in network science. Structural and dynamical similarities of different real networks suggest that some universal laws might accurately describe the dynamics of these networks, albeit the nature and common origin of such laws remain elusive. Here we show that the causal network representing the large-scale structure of spacetime in our accelerating universe is a power-law graph with strong clustering, similar to many complex networks such as the Internet, social, or biological networks. We prove that this structural similarity is a consequence of the asymptotic equivalence between the large-scale growth dynamics of complex networks and causal networks. This equivalence suggests that unexpectedly similar laws govern the dynamics of complex networks and spacetime in the universe, with implications to network science and cosmology.

Subject terms:

Cosmology
Applied physics
Statistical physics, thermodynamics and nonlinear dynamics
Theoretical physics

Affiliations

Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA), University of California, San Diego (UCSD), La Jolla, CA 92093, USA

Dmitri Krioukov &
Maksim Kitsak

San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC), University of California, San Diego (UCSD), La Jolla, CA 92093, USA

Robert S. Sinkovits

Department of Mathematics, University of California, San Diego (UCSD), La Jolla, CA 92093, USA

David Rideout &
David Meyer

Departament de Física Fonamental, Universitat de Barcelona, Martí i Franquès 1, 08028 Barcelona, Spain

Marián Boguñá

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Explanation: S&F!

I found this thread to be extremely useful for a thread I authored very recently called ...

Megascopic Mercurial Immune Systems and Heavy Metal Meteor Medicine! (by OmegaLogos posted on 17-2-2013 @ 01:07 PM) [ATS]

... in which I make the claim that the recent meteor showers and the ongoing global warming issues possibly detail that we are under direct medical assault by a Far Bigger Pharma than we could of ever previously imagined!

Personal Disclosure: I am quite unsuprised by the claims that we are a part of a cosmic brain ... but I do welcome that scientists are now taking that as a serious proposition worthy of deeper research and analysis.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Old.. from November last year, which itself was a repost from the start of 2012. Been posted many times.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

And?? This is about an article about what some physicists found. Just because someone had a similar theory does not mean they cant post about this study.
If we were to go by your logic then nearly every thread on this site would have to be closed down.
edit on 25-2-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
this thread reminds me of an episode of "through the worm hole with morgan freeman" on the science channel. this is an incert that i got from wikkipedia. season 3 "episode 3 "Is The Universe Alive?" 13 June 2012 As scientists peer across the galaxy, a new revelation emerges: The universe is shockingly organic. Are the secrets to the life and death of the universe hidden not in physics, but biology? Could it be that the universe is alive? " i hope i didn't break any ats rules or copy right laws...

edit on 25-2-2013 by agoiada because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2013 by agoiada because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Well, I ALSO have something to say. The idea that my mind and the cosmos are "one"? That my individuality is lost in the great all so I might as well forget any assertion that I am not an individual? Therefore I have no individual rights? That suits the corporate police state just fine I am sure.

Well, it's not an idea, it is a fact. You are the Universe. That is undeniable.

Individuality is an illusion, and has always been an illusion. That illusion of individuality has become a psychological crutch for some, and I would like to argue that it is the sole cause of mostly all of humanity's problems. It causes selfishness, greed, lack of compassion, racism, class wars, and all egotistical ideas of "me, myself, and I". The illusion of individuality separates and divides nations and people, and is responsible for war on Earth.

If only everyone understood the truth; We are all one. We are all a part of one big ocean of energy that has attained consciousness. We were all born at the same exact moment (the "Big Bang" is our birthday). I could say we are all family, brothers and sisters, but the full truth is we are all one entity. If only everyone understood these simple facts, and contemplated what it entails, maybe a lot of the bad things like war would cease to exist simply because people would understand that they are only harming their self in the end. Maybe then compassion would return to the world, and people would help each other instead of use each other for personal gain. You wouldn't need to worry about a police state in that case.

The illusion of individuality will never perish though, because it is a persistent illusion, and it is somewhat necessary to understand that although you are one entity experiencing itself from many different perspectives, you are only one of those perspectives.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
We wouldnt even be cells on that scale, bro... We would be nothing more than a passing thought, or a long forgotten memory...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Its a simulation vs. an actuall picture of a brain cell.

We don't know what the universe looks like as a whole. Probably never will. It may look similar but we can't know for sure.

I don't even know how they could come up with this simulation, seems to me a far fetch. Thier are to many unknowns out there to even come up with a sim that is 1% accurate.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
'GIANT' is a relative term. If our universe is a brain, then said brain is not giant to whom/whatever that brain may be.

You might have a universe in yours.

The brain that is our universe might be one of trillions in a bigger universe that is also really a brain....

Or perhaps your brain is inside this universe and this very same universe is inside your brain.

My brain hurts

IMO we're all inside Phage's brain....

edit on 25-2-2013 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Light-speed schmite-speed. That's a bogus "limit."

Look, take a string that does not stretch. I'll hold one end, and you take the other end to the moon. Stand there and hang on to it (be cool, allow me the fantasy of a lunar string. I know, it can't _really_ be done, but plz allow it for a sec).

When I tug on my end, the "signal" is instantaneously transmitted to you on the moon because the string doesn't have any stretch. There is no time lag as photons/electrons "travel" through space from me to you. The string tension is transmitted real-time, and you feel the signals at the moment they are initiated.

Now, we have arranged a wacky secret code: One tug for a "1" and two tugs for a "0". Using our special digital-to-analog transciever (the code book with the index of words-to-digits) we can send messages all day with no light speed limited time lag.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarsSentinel
reply to post by swan001

Look, take a string that does not stretch. I'll hold one end, and you take the other end to the moon.

And if you can't allow a lunar string, don't. The principle holds at shorter distances (say, 1 meter). The signal travels faster than light. Over short distances you cannot easily measure the difference, but it's there nonetheless.

So now, tell me about that "limit."

No. Really. Tell me. I am making an assumption here. I haven't tested it out. It is a thought experiment.

How is it wrong?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
That big ole brain looks at the section called Earth, and say's "damn I must be retarded."

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I always thought the meteors were being sent by aliens to put their diseases on our planet to kill us ._.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Looks like Ra wasn't full of crap when it said the universe was born when it became aware of itself.

Ra: I am Ra. The galaxy and all other things of material of which you are aware are products of individualized portions of intelligent infinity. As each exploration began, it, in turn, found its focus and became co-Creator. Using intelligent infinity each portion created an universe and allowing the rhythms of free choice to flow, playing with the infinite spectrum of possibilities, each individualized portion channeled the love/light into what you might call intelligent energy, thus creating the so-called natural laws of any particular universe.

www.lawofone.info...

Take that, skeptics!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
As above so below... comes to my brain.

Consciousness is where its all at.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
I wonder what such a large brain would be thinking about.
Ummm.........Feed me...Seymore...Feed me.

YouSir

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by McGinty
Or perhaps your brain is inside this universe and this very same universe is inside your brain.

My brain hurts

That is one common theory actually... Have you ever seen this Simpsons intro?

www.boreme.com...

The view starts out looking at Homer Simpson and the family, and zooms out to view the top of their house, then zooms out to view the Earth, then zooms out more to view the solar system, then zooms out more to view the galaxies, then zooms out more to start revealing the structure of the Universe which starts to look more like atoms, and molecules, and zooms out more to reveal that all of the Universe was inside Homers head... funny stuff.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You should read the book called "The Universal One" written in 1926 by Walter Russell, the founder of the University of Science and Philosophy.

In the book he logically concludes that the Universe is a giant mind, and every action that happens in this reality is a thought of this One giant mind. Like the wind blowing, lightning striking, ocean waves crashing, humans and animals thriving, etc. is all physical manifestations of the One Mind's thoughts. Every action you do in your life, is an idea the Universe thought of.

Just like humans have chemical reactions and lightning storms in their brains when they think, lighting strikes and chemical reactions happen on Earth and all over the Universe when the Universe has a thought.
edit on 25-2-2013 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

For brain function, you need a signal that can efficiently carry information from neurone to neurone. But the Universe is so large, even the fastest of signals, Electromagnetic signals, are not fast enough to do the job. So you may have neurones, but no signals or information transfer. If the Universe is a big brain, then this big brain is dead.

There is no minimum speed requirement for information transmission... it can take as long as it likes. eg light at lightspeed over a distance of lightyears.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join