It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Come Upon Surrendered Suspect Lying Down With Arms & Legs Spread, Proceed To Beat Him

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by FlapdoodleStork

While that may sound logical it isn't going to overcome natural instinct. If you are being beaten then the instinct to protect yourself takes over.

You didn't watch the video very closely.
He was pinned face down by two officers, each with a knee on his back.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa

Originally posted by HIWATT
In fact it looks like the "cop" nearly falls forward trying to kick the "perp" almost as if he was trying to make it look like a hard kick and then lost his balance trying to do so.

edit on 24-2-2013 by HIWATT because: punctuation

Have you ever tried to kick anything standing on snow/ice? You almost always fall over.

Yes, I am aware that frozen water is naturally slippery

We've all "play fought" as kids though and that's what I was getting at. That "play kick" you make when you're horsing around. That's what seemed fake to me. That and the fact the "perp" doesn't. move. AT. ALL. the whole time. That is very odd.

After further investigation the report(s) of suspensions seems to be legit though, so it seems I'm wrong about this one, regardless of how it looks to me.

I would be very interested in seeing the bit of footage that was removed. You can clearly see that at 25 seconds there was a *SNIP
One frame he is on his knees and moving around. The next he is laying snow angel style - motionless and waiting.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I did watch it. At 0:34 the first cop kicks him and he does nothing. Even if the kick was not well placed he had to know what was coming.

That same cop starts punching him at 0:37. He still doesn't react naturally.

edit on 24-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Altho the guy is guilty this is not a case where they had to chase and even fight him before he surrendered where the police would be expected to be mad (still no excuse). The arrestee was clearly in a compliant position and posed no threat to police; the level of brutality far exceeded a common roughing up of the suspect "to show him who is boss"; ie, kicking and squeezing his testicles and he was denied appropriate medical attention for his injuries (probably so a medical expert could not substantiate his injuries which is worthy of punitive damages). Sad that a robber can commit a crime and then end up collecting big bucks from the government....but that is what should happen here. Police "police" yourselves please. I might also suggest that local municipalities in the US and Canada pass laws requiring a percentage of the police salaries go into a fund to offset these inevitable lawsuits to protect the taxpayers from paying twice (once for the bad cops salary and then for monetary damages). If cops cant control or govern their attack instincts when pursuing a suspect and shut it down "on a dime" when they need to then they should not be on the force. There also needs to be a code of ethics like at West Point where cops that harbor the knowledge of brutality (even tho they were not directly participating in it) be held accountable along with those that carried it out.
edit on 24-2-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I did watch it. At 0:34 the first cop kicks him and he does nothing. Even if the kick was not well placed he had to know what was coming.

That same cop starts punching him at 0:37. He still doesn't react naturally.

That would be because he is pinned down.
You can't do much face down, arms outstretched with a knee on your back.

I know I'm probably guilty of troll feeding by replying to you any further, but there is just no justification for the beating.

The guy surrendered, and their job was to take him into custody and book him. They instead chose to dish out some "street justice".
It would have been their word against his but for the video.

Edit: I said it was their job, but actually it is their DUTY to uphold the law ( which means not committing assault) since they are sworn officers.
A duty that they accepted voluntarily.
edit on 24-2-2013 by FlapdoodleStork because: Edited to add

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

He was not pinned down when the cop first kicks him and his arms are free when he starts punching him. He could have used his arms to cover the blows being delivered to the back and side of his head.

The other 2 cops were still heading towards them.

I'm just pointing out the unnatural reaction by the victim. Nobody is saying that the beating was justified.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

He was not pinned down when the cop first kicks him and his arms are free when he starts punching him. He could have used his arms to cover the blows being delivered to the back and side of his head.

The other 2 cops were still heading towards them.

I'm just pointing out the unnatural reaction by the victim. Nobody is saying that the beating was justified.

When he was kicked the first time, the cop on the left had a knee on his back. The kicking officer then knelt down with his knee on the suspect's back and commenced striking the suspect.

As for the suspect's arms being free, he was face down, there is no range of motion available to him, except possibly to make a snow angel.

He did however, nearly become a real angel... or whatever it is that robbers turn into when they die.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

As I have already pointed out at 0:34 when the first cop reaches the victim he gives him an awkward kick. Nobody is pinning him down and he doesn't flinch.

At 0:37 the first cop starts punching him before the other 2 lay a finger on the guy. His arms are at his side.

From that point on it looks like the guy has his arms behind him. So I'm talking about the first 4 or 5 seconds where the victim just doesn't react naturally. There may be a perfectly good reason for that but that doesn't change what is going on in the video.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I posted about this almost 2 days ago only got 3 flags

I will star and flag your thread as it appears to be doing better than mine, from what I can see it has all the same info, just kinda puzzled as why mine got almost no recognition at all?

Edit: I will post my thread if anyone is interested.

Police Brutality, This Time in Canada
edit on 24-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: Edit:

edit on 24-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: accuracy

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by HIWATT

I call FAKE

You mean like the fake kicks and punches to the head and torso when he is clearly laying down?
Yeah, it's so fake

What would justify the beating he suffered in your opinion?

Look at the first kick like I asked you to.

It's clearly evident that it wasn't much more than a "tap". The "cop" even came close to tripping over the "perp" because he was trying to make it look like he was really belting him.

Also, ZERO response from the "perp" the entire time "he" was enduring the "beating" ??

Really? Even the first kick. Imagine if that were you and you got "kicked in the ribs" - could you lay absolutely motionless? How about afterwards, when "punches" occurred?

The "perp" is totally motionless. His body is limp. "He" doesn't even raise his arms to try and protect his face, or even struggle AT ALL... as if.... "he" is not a "he" at all..... "he's" a mannequin or dummy of some kind and this is staged nonsense.

I'm all for exposing police brutality. It's just that this one smells.

The only time the "perp" here shows ANY kind of movement is BEFORE that very obvious edit I pointed out around 25 seconds into this video.

edit on 24-2-2013 by HIWATT because: spelling

Give it a rest.

You're either trolling, or a rabid supporter of police brutality, or have not viewed the source material that the OP provided. There is a link to the news story. There are two videos of the assault. The second shows the assault without the embedded musical soundtrack, includes a news story, and an interview of the victim's lawyer.

You can quit referring to the arrested guy as the "perp". His status as "perp" evaporated when the brutal thug cops committed a greater crime upon him than he had committed to draw their attention..

The female cop on the scene grabbed and severely injured the victim's testicles. He was in jail for about three weeks and they refused him access to medical treatment.

The refusal of medical treatment implicates other department personnel. Once he was turned over to the detention facility its personnel were in charge of and responsible for him. Refusing him medical treatment for an extended period of time is yet another form of brutality visited upon him by officialdom.

Those cops have merely been suspended with pay. They deserve to be fired, charged, prosecuted for felony assault of a high degree and jailed for a good long time. They are vermin. Makes me wonder what selection process and training program is used by their police department.

The police department and city are going to pay dearly for this abuse of power by these 4 or 5 thug cops. The female cop who grabbed the victim's testicles sexually assaulted him. I wonder whether she will be prosecuted for that and have to register for life as a sexual offender. To grab and severely injury his testicles makes her seem like a deeply disturbed pervert.

Again, give it a rest. I suspect you're posting this nonsense as a way to increase your post count on ATS.
edit on 2/24/2013 by dubiousone because: Content adjustment.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Let me get this straight, you think that the suspect's lack of resistance is somehow grounds for the beating?

Since you want to speculate about the apparently odd reaction of the suspect, here's my take on it.

There's a dirty little trick that cops employ when they want to beat someone. They will furtively pinch, gouge, poke a subject. When the subject flinches, or jumps, or tries to squirm free, the cop then has all the justification he needs to “subdue” the suspect.

This works really well on most of the general public, since law abiding citizens do not expect this and will, as you suggest, react.

I think it's a safe bet that the suspect has had previous encounters with law enforcement. It would also be safe to assume that he was aware of this tactic.

Perhaps he had resolved not to give them the justification in hopes that he could somehow avoid a beating.

Sort of like the tactic of playing dead when being mauled by a bear.

Only the beating happened anyway, and after it became clear that they meant to seriously hurt him, it was too late. He was probably either disoriented, or unconscious.
edit on 24-2-2013 by FlapdoodleStork because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlapdoodleStork

Let me get this straight, you think that the suspect's lack of resistance is somehow grounds for the beating?

I already said that nobody was justifying the beating so...

I'm just pointing out that the reaction seems unnatural. You didn't even want to acknowledge that it was what happened in the video. Well at least that point came across.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
There's no possible excuse for the actions of these officers! They are an absolute disgrace to their country and I hope they pay dearly for it! Disgusting.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Xpost from my thread......

Why is it that it seems like lately whenever there is a case of police brutality the officers in question always seem to get suspended with pay? In the US we are numb to seeing cases such as this as they seem to happen so often, but I was kinda surprised to see about this case in Canada. This event happened in the town of Trois-Rivières in Quebec. The officers can be seen on the video beating the tar out of a man who had already surrendered and was not a threat. I guess our growing police state in the US is now starting to spread and is in the process of infecting our neighbors to the north.

So my question is why are they suspended with pay? I am sick of different sets of laws based on who you are and who you know.....

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

I agree, the "with pay" suspension sounds like a dream come true.

Until they are charged and punished for their crimes, if that ever happens.

It angers me for with pay suspensions at the tax payers expense for these brutal thugs.

ETA:

There is a whole lot of police brutality in Canada, a lot of it has been caught on tape. People are usually surprised, but our cops are pretty insane. They like to taze people, and beat them too.

Not all cops, it's just we have a lot of these incidents.
edit on 2/24/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

I agree, the "with pay" suspension sounds like a dream come true.

Until they are charged and punished for their crimes, if that ever happens.

It angers me for with pay suspensions at the tax payers expense for these brutal thugs.

ETA:

There is a whole lot of police brutality in Canada, a lot of it has been caught on tape. People are usually surprised, but our cops are pretty insane. They like to taze people, and beat them too.

Not all cops, it's just we have a lot of these incidents.
edit on 2/24/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

We've become numb to the reality of bad cops (LAPD anyone?), the paid suspension thing makes me PO'd. It is like saying, we're going to give you a month's paid vacation until people start discussing the latest episode of Dancing with the Stars.

edit on 24-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

We've all "play fought" as kids though and that's what I was getting at. That "play kick" you make when you're horsing around. That's what seemed fake to me. That and the fact the "perp" doesn't. move. AT. ALL. the whole time. That is very odd.

Did you notice at the end that all the fat bastard cops were out of breath from most likely chasing this guy a good distance? The first cop looks to be completely out of breath as he approached him and his kick was all he could muster...well until he put his knee in his back and all the cops started their full swings on him.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlapdoodleStork

I already said that nobody was justifying the beating so...

I'm just pointing out that the reaction seems unnatural. You didn't even want to acknowledge that it was what happened in the video. Well at least that point came across.

You know, you really ought to read more carefully.

I addressed the "unnatural" reaction in my last reply to you.

My points are as follows;
1. In the position he was in, it was not possible to resist effectively.
2. It was very likely that he was trying with all the determination he could muster to play possum to avoid the beating that he got anyway.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

That is a little bit of the pot calling the kettle, because I stated that nobody was justifying the beating and you pop that very same question.

Yeah, you addressed it after a couple of posts stating that the guy was pinned down, only to move the goal post to, he couldn't effectively resist.

In either case it is a long way from claiming that I didn't watch the video carefully and calling me a troll.

I never said effectively resist. I said protect himself from the punches. Playing possum sounds a lot more plausible. Could have started off with that, instead we had to take the scenic route.

See you around.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Too bad many of you are unaware of the French Language and Signage Police.
This guy obviously had the audacity to rob the store using English threats and not cuss at these guys in French.
Typical Frog behaviours, nothing to see here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join