It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Rewrite History….Again!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Well to get back on topic. Why does Hollywood rewrite history when there is no need to? Probably because they think it will sell more total tickets - more Americans will go to the movie with the lies, than Canadians will stay home because of the lies. Pure old fashioned money grubbing.
Lets face it - the real story of Lincoln would be far more fascinating than the fictional story of Lincoln, but it will never be made. Lincolns gay lifestyle, including when he was in the White House. His deep depression, which was treated with mercury medicines which poisoned him. His decision to hang civilians in what became West Virginia, along with other war crimes.
Henry Ford had it right though. History is bunk. Or what we are taught is history. Finding the real history is often very difficult, as an example, the assassination of JFK, or Eisenhower killing German POWs after WWII.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matt1951
Why does Hollywood rewrite history when there is no need to? Probably because they think it will sell more total tickets - more Americans will go to the movie with the lies, than Canadians will stay home because of the lies.
As Martin Short said, hosting the Canadian Screen Awards last night..."It's always nice to be home. I flew in on Air Canada. Or as Ben Affleck calls it, American Airlines."

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

It is akin to you telling a story to a bunch of mates about something you and a friend got up too, but then leave out the other mate and tell the story as if you were on your own, while the other guy has to sit there and listen to it. If he should then complain to his buddy that he was left out, he'll be told "oh, it was just artistic license", but in the eyes of the people whom had the story told to them, the other bloke did bugger all whatsoever. That is the problem.

Wrong, because when I am telling a story to some friends about something that happened there is if anything a slight expectation of honesty (even then there is bound to be exaggeration more than likely). This is reality.

Unlike that of say a comedian who tells a story about a moment in his life, even though this story is greatly exaggerated to enhance the comedic effect. This is entertainment.

Or again a film production company which embellishes events to create a more action pact atmosphere or dramatic tension. This is entertainment .

You say it's meant to entertain

Because it is...

but we have seen examples in this thread of what happens when this crap is put out there. There have been several posts by Americans claiming they invented the car, the computer, the TV, "we saved your arses in WW1" (this is sooo funny as its total bollocks and displays total ignorance) and of course the old chestnut "we saved you in WW2"....

All of which has come about, at least in part, by American media feeding you guys drivel and people believing it.

Than that is their fault, if they choose to not pick up a history book and instead take Hollywood's version of events as literal than they have a greater problem than simply misunderstanding reality.

I find this whole thread fascinating. It is one of the greatest examples of misplaced internet outrage I have ever seen. Its just another "my country is superior to yours", "no its not" thread veiled in a thread which demonizes entertainment media.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by krazykanuk

I applaud your accurate portrayal of the Actual events. However, please do not associate America with that a$$clown Affeck or those idiot politicians, weak minded populus and limp presidents who do not allow the US military to win a War..Quite frankly its an insult to those americans who have served and supported its Allied nations, one of which is yours.

As for the war 0f 1812, we are here and the British are not. It's that simple regardless of how it was accomplished.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by IknowJack
As for the war 0f 1812, we are here and the British are not. It's that simple regardless of how it was accomplished.
I do believe it is more apropos to observe that we are here...and you are not.

edit on 28-3-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IknowJack
or those idiot politicians, weak minded populus and limp presidents who do not allow the US military to win a War...

Be wary of what you wish for...absolute war is not something to be lightly unleashed, the rules of war are there for a reason and would you consider it a good victory by shooting pregnant women and children? i'm sure that they'll be cheering back home with video's of troops slaughtering their way through village after village lining people up and shooting them one after an other to make some good TV?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The OP is so right! I was going to take REAL offense till I realized that people don't read anymore. Of course , thats it! Movies are the only way anyone ever learns.........I would be mad also if I was illiterate.

What a waste of a thread....choi

edit on 28-3-2013 by IknowJack because: had to

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by krazykanuk
It is almost laughable the way Americans ............ To serve their own delusions they then rewrite history. Well they have done it again. Case in point… the new movie ARGO.

(no reason given)

Agreed and the British Ambassador at the time in Iran DID offer them sanctuary, he is still alive and discussed this on the BBC radio, in the film they claim the british did nothing - not true.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by krazykanuk
It is almost laughable the way Americans ............ To serve their own delusions they then rewrite history. Well they have done it again. Case in point… the new movie ARGO.

Agreed and the British Ambassador at the time in Iran DID offer them sanctuary, he is still alive and discussed this on the BBC radio, in the film they claim the british did nothing - not true.
Not only do our dear American cousins have the ability to enrage their enemies, they also have a propensity to try their friends. Sort of like that family member with the foot-in-mouth disease, that manages to pi$$ in the pickles at every family gathering.

Of course you're a hero...mind passing the scalloped potatoes, love?
edit on 28-3-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Whoa.. wait.
You mean to tell me that we really didnt save the world from a alien invasion with planes and a computer virus, we didnt save the world from nazi zombies, and we really didnt blow up asteroids.. and save the world?? I call BS on that, Sir. Ill have you know I SAW these movies.. and we did! I also will have you know that I stayed up 3 days straight and watched all the seasons of Trailer Park Boys and I know EVERYTHING about Canadians now. I can even speak Canadian, eh?

In reality, its not "Americans". Well, not us older ones anyway. Kids get their history from Hollywood Im sure in some cases, if not most... and i suggest non-Americans dont assume we all believe what Hollywood puts out there as "based on" or "docudrama" as fact. Id also suggest non-Americans not get their own ideas about us from Hollywood... which is just as idiotic. Im personally hoping for a big 'ol earthquake to hit California.. and leave everything else intact..... but Hollywood. Why we do it who knows.. but WE ( that means me and YOU.. regardless of what country youre from) stop worshiping Hollywood and giving a damn what some idiot star says. I certainly dont give a damn what these Hollywood actor/actresses creeps have to say and they certainly dont represent me. I have to wonder about those who hang on their every word and assume these people represent the average American. Holllywood is working as it was meant to.. pure mind crack and propaganda. Sorry you all bought into it!

edit on 28-3-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join